Pat Bethel... make room for the young guys.

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
Pat is a Legacy Cane, and the kid has done all he's been asked to do, namely gaining weight to switch positions after coming in as a DE...

However, the kid has sucked at DT, and is pretty much serving the role of an underwhelming stop gap. All of the stats Bethel has racked up over the years have been based on other players flushing the pocket into his lap...

I have yet to see Bethel bull-rush a guy, or display an ounce of quickness to split a double team, or at the very least - jump a snap perfectly, to make a play in the backfield... kid hasnt developed a signature nitch as a DT whatsoever... AND, as it wasn't a natural position for him, it aint all his fault.

That said, its time to stop dedicating so many minutes to Bethel... We have to get #91 and #99 on the field a whole lot more...

I do like the idea of stop gap DT type, only when paired with another interior D-Tackle that has quickness/pass-rushing capabilities...similarly to the McIntosh/Norton combo we had; wherein McIntosh provided the pass-rushing skills/quickness off the ball.

#96 can be categorized as a Stop gap guy also, but at least his size and brut strength allows him to be a formidable player.... but when paired with Bethel, it can create a less than favorable scenario for us, due to the lack of disruption up front.

In My opinion, Bethel should be part of a rotation - being generous... In reality, if the kid was an underclassman, based on what he brings, he'd see the field when Ford gets tired.

#99 brings quickness at the position, and #91 is quicker than Bethel, and packs a bigger punch as well!!

Again, kudos to Bethel for his contribution, for not being a trouble maker, etc...

But we need to see change here in my opinion.... what do u guys think?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Pat is a Legacy Cane, and the kid has done all he's been asked to do, namely gaining weight to switch positions after coming in as a DE...

However, the kid has sucked at DT, and is pretty much serving the role of an underwhelming stop gap. All of the stats Bethel has racked up over the years have been based on other players flushing the pocket into his lap...

I have yet to see Bethel bull-rush a guy, or display an ounce of quickness to split a double team, or at the very least - jump a snap perfectly, to make a play in the backfield... kid hasnt developed a signature nitch as a DT whatsoever... AND, as it wasn't a natural position for him, it aint all his fault.

That said, its time to stop dedicating so many minutes to Bethel... We have to get #91 and #99 on the field a whole lot more...

I do like the idea of stop gap DT type, only when paired with another interior D-Tackle that has quickness/pass-rushing capabilities...similarly to the McIntosh/Norton combo we had; wherein McIntosh provided the pass-rushing skills/quickness off the ball.

#96 can be categorized as a Stop gap guy also, but at least his size and brut strength allows him to be a formidable player.... but when paired with Bethel, it can create a less than favorable scenario for us, due to the lack of disruption up front.

In My opinion, Bethel should be part of a rotation - being generous... In reality, if the kid was an underclassman, based on what he brings, he'd see the field when Ford gets tired.

#99 brings quickness at the position, and #91 is quicker than Bethel, and packs a bigger punch as well!!

Again, kudos to Bethel for his contribution, for not being a trouble maker, etc...

Bethel does not suck..he is a solid ACC caliber DT, he and Ford have both graded high against the run but have not been as impactful generating a pass rush but then again nobody other than Rousseau has either. Despite his lack of size he actually takes on the 1 and 0 techniques in our defense which means that his only competition for a starting spot is from Jordan Miller as of right now. 99 is Ford’s backup as the 3 technique DT. Not sure where Silvera was playing before injury so he may push Bethel when he returns but I would count on Bethel starting the remainder of the season as long as he stays healthy.

Advertisement
04FB20AC-84DC-4AB6-94B5-DD7A8EC19E71.gif

F9FEEF79-BCAC-4E43-AD92-43982BD87DCE.gif

68F34B7D-3F83-4798-8CC4-4B8410851000.gif

2E0CA51F-A846-4CAC-8AA2-FD19ED9F13FF.gif

94E73FFB-0130-4770-8E98-8EE11DD87510.gif

I'm looking forward to starting up ACC play again. By that time, Nesta and Bolden should be on the field, Rousseau should be getting more playing time, and hopefully Ivey and Blades will be over their growing pains. Need to run the ****** table from here on out

Sorry guys I just can’t agree here, while I agree Bethel hasn’t been anything special he still has done everything to help this team. It’s no secret that we haven’t had much success recruiting that position and for a kid to sacrifice his natural
Playing position for what’s best for the team he deserves to be playing. It’s easy for us fans to want to see the next guy up because we have a what have you done for me lately mentality when it comes to these players. Just take a look at how we act with recruiting, we’re excited when a “ stud “ comes on board and follow their every move when we’re recruiting them but once they’re on board our attention focuses on the next class and completely forget about last class studs. Gurvan Hall is a perfect example of this, we were all nervous Bama was going to take him from Miami, but then he stayed with us and now that he isn’t living up to the expectations we’re ready to move on. I can’t get on board with this mentality. I think the coaches need to develop these kids to their full potential and to be honest, that hasn’t happen here for a long long time. Maybe if we do that we can start to appreciate the guys we currently have instead of always looking at what shiny new toy we can bring in to excite us.

Advertisement

I agree 100% with what you said. The problem is I don't think we have the bodies to do that right now.

Is it reasonable for someone like Bethel to play OG? Perhaps too late at this stage but the switch from D to O has been done before successfully.

Advertisement
Disappointed with the guys getting majority of the snaps on the dline outside of maybe ford but I want To see improvement there too. Bethel, patchan and garvin not doing enough

Disappointed with the guys getting majority of the snaps on the dline outside of maybe ford but I want To see improvement there too. Bethel, patchan and garvin not doing enough

Garvin's not doing enough because Garvin doesn't have help like he did the 2 previous years. Makes a big different that Gerald Willis is gone now. Offenses are scheming against him.

Advertisement
Back