Passing on the Bowl Game looks good now

VinnDogg

Senior
While I am not claiming that Shalala and the AD made a smart move(this falls under the broken clock is right at least twice a day) knowing the outcome with foresight,it turned out to be a shrewd move.

Golden has stated that he and the staff were able to make serious inroads with some recruits that they eventually landed with the extra time. Some on the board were stating it was a bad choice to forefit the bowl game,but some half assed practices in Shreveport in a meaningless bowl game cannot equal the time to evaluate,contact and build relationships with kids and their coaches. The month of being on the road and scanning the state has set the program up very well for the years ahead. Golden and staff have been received well by the coaches in state and the extra time devoted to cultivating relationships meant a great deal to the high school coaches.

Golden was able to dig deeper and plan for more contingencies. The move he made when Northrop went to the Noles instead of coming here was classic. He was on the phone with Lawand Blue right away and made and offer. The kid burned Beamer and faxed his LOI to Coral Gables. This type of prep work and making late contacts with Blue and Ivery can be directly traced to the free time of not preparing for a bowl game.

We brought in a good class. The dreaded word potential hangs in the air until proven otherwise. The negative recruiting against UM was worse than ever before. The kids coming here weren't swayed by the NCAA investigation. Nor did they choose another school because they liked that university president more than ours. Props to the kids for that. And props to Golden and staff for their hard work. I like what he said at the presser "get your licks in now".

Advertisement
Passing on a bowl was a very smart move. This team is 2-3 years from an significant bowl appearance and instead of punishing a team that would have no players and coaches that were involved in the scandal, they decided to enforce a pre-emptive punishment to get it out of the way. I'd rather miss out on the 'Who give a crap' bowl in early december than miss out on a BCS bowl on New Years day.

If it gets us closer to putting this Shapiro mess behind us it was a brilliant move. At 6-6 we didn't deserve a bowl game.

Passing on a bowl was a very smart move. This team is 2-3 years from an significant bowl appearance and instead of punishing a team that would have no players and coaches that were involved in the scandal, they decided to enforce a pre-emptive punishment to get it out of the way. I'd rather miss out on the 'Who give a crap' bowl in early december than miss out on a BCS bowl on New Years day.

this. we were going to an irrelevant bowl anyway. who knows, we may get one more bowl ban. if so, at least we are that much closer to being done and moving forward.

If it gets us closer to putting this Shapiro mess behind us it was a brilliant move. At 6-6 we didn't deserve a bowl game.

This. I don't get why mediocrity gets a bowl game. IMO, the worst possible record to receive a bowl game is 8-4. There are way too many bowl games right now and the majority of them don't interest me in the slightest. Around Christmas is about when they start getting worth watching and that's halfway through bowl season it seems

Advertisement
Regardless of how this might effect NCAA sanctions, it's still a good move. Impending sanctions gave UM the rare chance to turn down a money losing bowl game. If you had to have 8 "real wins" to get to a bowl game, then self-banning might actually hurt. I see no down side to self-imposing a ban this year.

If USC did what we did, they would have been in a BCS game last year, instead they sat out after putting together a great season.

Take the hit now when it doesn't make a difference because we aren't playing for anything and we'll go from there.

It was obvious at the time it was a good decision, for all the reasons that are even more obvious today.

Advertisement
We will probably get one more year of bowl ban and a couple schollies revoked. we good.

We will probably get one more year of bowl ban and a couple schollies revoked. we good.

i cant see us getting another bowl ban..some schollie losses and probation is what i see..3years of it and were good.. *fingers crossed*

Apparently, it ****ed of a good handful of 2008 class, and some others who left early for the NFL, which in turn opened up some slots that the extra recruiting time was able to fill.

Now, just to win more games this year. And hopefully, kick the **** out of FSU.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back