Pass Protection not only a UM problem

sitzee

Freshman
Protecting the QB isn’t just a UM problem. 7 of the top 10 QB’s with the most sacks are in the ACC.
I know the ACC has played more games than most conferences but that’s a staggering number.

Advertisement
What are the results if you use “sacks per game”. I have a feeling “total sacks allowed” has a lot to do with the fact that ACC teams have played more than any other conference

I think a sack rate percentage is a better indicator given teams have played different amount of games. Things will still be off with sample sizes, but should be better. In that case Miami is 98 out of 124. The ACC overall is definitely not great and Miami is 9th out of 15 in the ACC (counting ND).

Overall RankingOffenseSack
23Clemson3.60%
39Pittsburgh4.40%
42Virginia4.60%
58NC State5.70%
63Notre Dame6.00%
66Georgia Tech6.20%
79Boston College6.90%
97North Carolina8.00%
98Miami-FL8.60%
102Virginia Tech8.90%
103Louisville9.00%
105Duke9.10%
112Florida State9.80%
117Wake Forest10.80%
120Syracuse12.60%

Advertisement
Put something slippery in place of our guards and take out king almost deliberately taking at least 1-2 per game and we might be top 40 in sacks/game

Wake Forest at 117.... Phillips/Roche should be stat piling. We have two weeks to get healthy. Guys will be healed hopefully we can install 5-8 new plays on offense. Work on communication in our secondary and tackling from our linebackers.

Advertisement
**** we fell off a cliff.. Thats terrible..
Last year we gave up 46 sacks for a 3.54 per game average. This year it's 25 for a 3.13 average. We only have three more games and none are defensive powerhouses.

So wer're better than we were, but are still very far from good.

There we go again trying to find something positive where things are the worse. Our OL is C- sack and pressure friendly. We need Donaldson, Rivers and Walker to make us a B+ line next year. Our guards and center need to get bigger and stronger too to move people in the run game. Hopefully Big Baby and McLaughlin are plug and play. We need a huge improvement in the OL next season.

Protecting the QB isn’t just a UM problem. 7 of the top 10 QB’s with the most sacks are in the ACC.
I know the ACC has played more games than most conferences but that’s a staggering number.
As true as that might be...I could give a **** less who else's problem it is THIS year...It has been UMs problem for quite a long time.

****, I would take the protection issues if we could run the ball a **** of a lot better consistently...

Last year we gave up 46 sacks for a 3.54 per game average. This year it's 25 for a 3.13 average. We only have three more games and none are defensive powerhouses.

Pretty sure we have less games this year too...lol. Nothing to brag about.

Advertisement

The primary difference I see this year, apart from the slight statistical improvement, is that the sacks are coming up the middle due to poor guard play whereas last year it was the tackles being beaten like drums. Hard to say which is worse but I would think guards are easier to find than tackles.

How does this surprise anyone? We all knew coming in OL weakest position group on the team. Yes there has been some improvement but still a long ways to go. Anyone who knows football realizes it usually takes several years to take an OL from horrible to decent

Advertisement
Virginia has a really good line. Stats prove it. Tallest group in ACC. Never understood why everyone got bent out of shape because we did not get more sacks against them.

The primary difference I see this year, apart from the slight statistical improvement, is that the sacks are coming up the middle due to poor guard play whereas last year it was the tackles being beaten like drums. Hard to say which is worse but I would think guards are easier to find than tackles.
This is also offset by King's ability to scramble. Can you imagine if we had Jarren behind center will all that pressure up the middle? Oof.

Put something slippery in place of our guards and take out king almost deliberately taking at least 1-2 per game and we might be top 40 in sacks/game
I think this goes both ways; King has definitely taken some sacks that he shouldn't, but he has also escaped several that should have been sacks.

We've played 7 other ACC teams. That explains it right there 😂😂😂 GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Back