Parrish to the portal

We need an RB1, time to start tampering in the portal. Fletcher cannot be relied on to lead a backfield at this point. Two significant injuries in one season, we need multiple bodies ready to contribute. I still have hope for Allen but he hasn’t shown me enough yet, and this spring will be pretty big for both him and CJ (my personal favorite for future RB1 looks).

Some of these are fairy tale options, but f it. I’d start trying to tamper with the following (in no particular order)

1. Jaydn Ott (Cal)
2. Tahj Brooks (Texas Tech)
3. Ashton Jeanty (Boise State)
5. RJ Harvey (UCF)
6. Damien Martinez (Oregon St.)
7. Quinton Cooley (Liberty)
8. Ismael Mahdi (Texas St.)
9. Jaheim White (West Virginia)
10. Abu Sama III (Iowa St.)
11. Ayo Adeyi (North Texas)
12. Malik Sherrod (Fresno St.)
13. Quali Conley (formerly San Jose St, currently Arizona commit).

Maybe Treyveon Henderson doesn’t want RB2 duties at Ohio St? Cooley already transferred from Wake but that doesn’t seem to be an issue anymore.

White already passed up Donaldson at WVU so I’d take the former over the latter at this point. Crazy what a year does, I would’ve been salivating over Donaldson in 2023. However, his injuries + WVU looking better with White back there lead me to believe he is a portal candidate in the spring. We could do worse I guess, especially if we’re looking for yet another bruiser in the backfield.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ya’ll are saying “yeah just get a portal guy” like it’s just a sure thing we can find a top back in there. It will more than likely be another JAG ala Allen. Parrish was easily our best back in a very thin room. We don’t know anything about Citizen and we won’t know ish about Fletcher either with the way this school operates with injuries.
If Parrish wanted out, he would’ve left after bowl game, maybe before it. I get your worries, but timing is important. Miami isn’t nudging Parrish out without having the next option (a better option) planned.

Chaney will have plenty of option's. Ole Miss, a consistent top 10 SEC team, is going to be a great option for Chaney. UCF, where Ice Harris went, will also be an option. I am not worried about Chaney because he will have plenty of opportunities elsewhere. I wish him well.

I am more concerned about our RB room, with no proven RBs and a new RB coach. At some point, Coaches must start developing some of these high level recruits. I would like to see us land a transfer, but we can’t consistently build a championship team by relying too heavily on transfers. It’s time for some RBs on the current roster to step up, stay healthy and produce

LOL

Citizen is a ghost
Fletcher is broken
Allen is JAG
Johnson is a smurf
Chaney obviously gone
Two true freshmen

Room just got exponentially worse. Big loss. Only thing I’ll say on him is he missed a lot of time, and the best ability is availability. So it’s not like he was a workhorse. But he’s a good player and the team is worse for losing him, full stop.

Can he be replaced? Of course. But there isn’t a single kid on the roster I can point to and say “it’s ok we lost Parrish because we have Player X”. Look at the list above. Nothing proven there in the least bit. At least Parrish you know for a fact what you’re getting (when healthy, but he is healthy now as far as I know). Everyone else is either currently broken or a total unknown.
That is the scary part.

I don’t rest easy with this squad over the years with “this kid is gonna be” and “by all accounts this kid looks good coming back after missing 2 seasons”…

Parrish has been there and ran hard for the most part. I never want to lose anyone that consistently is able to dress out…it was like he brought his own water to Greentree when he came over from Ole Miss.

Oh well, nice 111 yards against BC to close the season when TVD decided to play a game anyway….

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ya’ll are saying “yeah just get a portal guy” like it’s just a sure thing we can find a top back in there. It will more than likely be another JAG ala Allen. Parrish was easily our best back in a very thin room. We don’t know anything about Citizen and we won’t know ish about Fletcher either with the way this school operates with injuries.
Gotta disagree with you here, bro. You can absolutely find another Parrish level RB in the portal. And probably someone better.. I liked the kid and he was a great band-aid on a bullet wound for us when we had no RB depth...He was our Dallas Crawford..But like Dallas Crawford, the jig is up. He is maxed out. Now are we going to get someone elite? No. But we can do better.

And hes taking reps from a kid like CJ who we need to find out quick if hes got the goods or not too. Hes not going to waste away another year on the bench behind Parrish,Fletcher and Allen/or Citizen.

Chaney will have plenty of option's. Ole Miss, a consistent top 10 SEC team, is going to be a great option for Chaney. UCF, where Ice Harris went, will also be an option. I am not worried about Chaney because he will have plenty of opportunities elsewhere. I wish him well.

I am more concerned about our RB room, with no proven RBs and a new RB coach. At some point, Coaches must start developing some of these high level recruits. I would like to see us land a transfer, but we can’t consistently build a championship team by relying too heavily on transfers. It’s time for some RBs on the current roster to step up, stay healthy and produce
No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Advertisement

Chaney went to Louisville months ago.

Fans being up in arms about losing a guy who was the starting RB on team that went 5-7 and 7-6 the last 2 years is really head scratching. Especially a guy who is an upperclassmen. No upperclassmen should feel safe right now. Last 2 years has been a joke. Do we want to get better or not? Make up your minds. Smh.

Advertisement
If Parrish wanted out, he would’ve left after bowl game, maybe before it. I get your worries, but timing is important. Miami isn’t nudging Parrish out without having the next option (a better option) planned.
That’s all fine but reality is we needed to add a better option WHILE keeping Parrish with the injuries in the room and lack of proven production

Parrish was a dog who always played hard. Gotta respect a guy like that and hope he does well, even if his limitations weren’t RB1 level at what we envision the U to be moving forward.

That being said, I see a lot of people freaking out about what’s gonna be “available” in the spring portal and I’m frankly just not worried about that, especially at the RB position.

In today’s NIL landscape with the early signing day and fall portal, some studs/above average players are naturally gonna hold off from transferring until spring to see where the best situations are and juice their market value. FSU got Coleman in the spring. I think Allen was a take last year to get bodies in the room and shouldn’t necessarily be indicative of the caliber we are going to get in the portal. Last spring we had even more question marks at this position than we do now. Chaney being able to stay healthy was a huge boost to the room, but we were one season removed from walk-ons getting reps, and I think our RB situation turned out pretty well after far graver concerns in Spring ‘23. Behind this o-line with Cam Ward at QB, the NIL we’ve shown we are committed to, and available playing time, I would be shocked if we are not able to land two RBs at least slightly-above to well-above Parrish level.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back