Parker Braun - GT OL Grad Transfer

Advertisement
Okay. Look, I don't have anything against Tate Martell. However, he did run from competition. I don't have a problem with him being at the University of Miami.

I hear ya, but what's done is done. If he is that guy that always runs from competition and it had nothing to do with Meyer leaving and 2 of his high school teammates being down here with a great opportunity in Enos, then sadly that will likely rear its ugly head down here as well. He will face competition here as well, albeit probably not as strong as Fields, and will not be handed the crown by any means.

Visiting UF this weekend. Why aren’t we making a move here!?!?

Please, one day, when you have all your money, discern the difference between fact and opinion. Please.

Unfortunately, I talk to a shrink every single night. I always have to tell her I’m not a patient. I’m telling you - it’ll help. You’ve got some deep-seated issues man. It was fair for you to just pull wild assumptions out your ***, so I’ll give it a shot. You grew up in dire poverty and think that “making millions” will somehow make up for the ship you went through as a kid. It won’t. There’s better ways to come to terms with that stuff.

I actually quit my old job just so I could play more golf. LOL. Kidding. Is a nice perk though. I managed, barely, 80+ hour weeks at my firm for close to 3 years. But I’m one of the lucky ones that married a person who makes a lot more money than me, now. That should be everyone’s goal in life. ;)

These are not wild assumptions. I can't believe you are actually trying to say a kid choosing an English or History degree is a good career path. If you want to be an English or History teacher there are much better ways to go about it then spending 200k to go to a school like Miami. If you are smart enough to get a scholarship to a school you shouldn't waste your talent on being a teacher.

Again, that is straight BS. First of all. For me I already put my time in now so it is a little late for your life lessons. I now work less than 40 hours a week. Even when I was putting in all those hours I would still go out every Friday and Sat night and because I actually had a decent salary in my 20s I was able to enjoy it a lot more than the teachers with more free time who would spend it clipping coupons, watching TV, or going out to TGIF happy hour.

Advertisement
I worked on Wall Street. I now have my own company. The Wall Street guys aren’t as smart as you think. They have capital and they fill a demand / need in the market, so some of them make a lot of money. Most of them don’t.

They certainly think they’re the smartest guys in the room, though.

You can say that about any job. I would bet my life savings that they are smarter on average than whatever group of workers Ajcane works with. You are talking about back office guys at lower tier firms. You might as well start factoring in the janitors salary. I don't know a single front office PE or IB guy that is not making great money. I also don't know a single one that didn't graduate near the top of their class at a very good school. Top level entrepreneurs are the only group I would say are a more genetically gifted group. However, even with entrepreneurs only a very very small percent are making more than the guys on Wall Street. There are plenty of guys on the street making 9 figures.

You can say that about any job. I would bet my life savings that they are smarter on average than whatever group of workers Ajcane works with. You are talking about back office guys at lower tier firms. You might as well start factoring in the janitors salary. I don't know a single front office PE or IB guy that is not making great money. I also don't know a single one that didn't graduate near the top of their class at a very good school. Top level entrepreneurs are the only group I would say are a more genetically gifted group. However, even with entrepreneurs only a very very small percent are making more than the guys on Wall Street. There are plenty of guys on the street making 9 figures.

You must think other people are stupid.

I did front-office IB at a premiere bulge bracket ($35+ billion in deals), PE at a top shop (several billion), went to HYP undergrad, and top 3 business school / law school. I know a little something about this. The guys you're referring to are the pinnacle of finance. The pinnacle of any business will earn a ton of money. The pinnacle of certain industries often also lose their shirt and go bankrupt. That doesn't make them morons. Business is hard.

You're trying to simplify this when life is a lot more complex.

And earning a ton of money does not make you more gifted genetically, smarter, or knowledgeable or a better person. There are plenty of rich ogres.

The differences between those who make a ton of money and those that don't aren't necessarily driven by intelligence or intellectual capacity. The differences range from luck, including who your parents are and where you went to school, to timing to your interests.

By the way, I don't know what you consider to be great money. Compared to the average joe? Yes, of course they make great money. But so do a lot of people.

How old are you?

You must think other people are stupid.

I did front-office IB at a premiere bulge bracket ($35+ billion in deals), PE at a top shop (several billion), went to HYP undergrad, and top 3 business school / law school. I know a little something about this. The guys you're referring to are the pinnacle of finance. The pinnacle of any business will earn a ton of money. The pinnacle of certain industries often also lose their shirt and go bankrupt. That doesn't make them morons. Business is hard.

You're trying to simplify this when life is a lot more complex.

And earning a ton of money does not make you more gifted genetically, smarter, or knowledgeable or a better person. There are plenty of rich ogres.

The differences between those who make a ton of money and those that don't aren't necessarily driven by intelligence or intellectual capacity. The differences range from luck, including who your parents are and where you went to school, to timing to your interests.

I fail to see your point. Did you also work in other fields after or before this that you could compare intelligence levels? I know for a FACT that the guys I work with are smarter than the average teacher I had in HS or College. They are also a lot smarter than the plumbers, electricians, etc. that I come across in my daily life. I never said everyone on the street is a genius. I am saying compared to other jobs it is the cream of the crop. That is a simple fact. When you are recruiting the top guys from the top colleges you are going to end up with the top tier levels of talent.

Sure luck plays a part in it, but I grew up with 0 advantages in one of the worst parts of the country with no guidance. However, I worked my *** off and got a scholarship to college and got a job on the street in PE(front office). Now all the other dis-advantages of being born poor really don't affect me because my future salary will be based off my performance.

I am not trying to simplify anything. I had a few points.

1. It is foolish to major in something like English or History at a 50k a year school when you could either A. go to a lower tier school for cheaper and still get a HS teaching job. B. choose a major that will actually be worth your investment.

2. Some guy got ****ed and told me that HS teachers and other low payed workers have on average higher IQs than the guys on wall street. I stated that Wall Street guys on average are more gifted than any other field.

Advertisement
These are not wild assumptions. I can't believe you are actually trying to say a kid choosing an English or History degree is a good career path. If you want to be an English or History teacher there are much better ways to go about it then spending 200k to go to a school like Miami. If you are smart enough to get a scholarship to a school you shouldn't waste your talent on being a teacher.

Again, that is straight BS. First of all. For me I already put my time in now so it is a little late for your life lessons. I now work less than 40 hours a week. Even when I was putting in all those hours I would still go out every Friday and Sat night and because I actually had a decent salary in my 20s I was able to enjoy it a lot more than the teachers with more free time who would spend it clipping coupons, watching TV, or going out to TGIF happy hour.

Buddy, you said I probably clean toilets. And claimed you’d wager your (considerable, I’m sure) life savings that you and your buddies are smarter on average than me and mine. I’d call those some pretty wild assumptions - especially considering you know absolutely nothing about me, besides the fact that I have a better (than you) command of the English language.

And that’s not even touching your whole “only 1 way to succeed in life... have a ton of money” take. The only people that think like that are 1) on the extremes of the “how much money you had growing up” bell-curve or 2) 15-20 years old. Which is it?

Awesome man. You’re a big cool rich guy that doesn’t even have to work anymore, congratulations. I remember when I was 20 (lol, I’m not even 30) and I wanted a Ferrari and a yacht, and... I hope you got all that bullish and that it filled whatever holes that needed filling. But maybe try and donate some of that wealth to those unfortunate imbeciles who weren’t as smart/hardworking/lucky as you. If you already do, I’ll tip my cap to you sir.

I fail to see your point. Did you also work in other fields after or before this that you could compare intelligence levels? I know for a FACT that the guys I work with are smarter than the average teacher I had in HS or College. They are also a lot smarter than the plumbers, electricians, etc. that I come across in my daily life. I never said everyone on the street is a genius. I am saying compared to other jobs it is the cream of the crop. That is a simple fact. When you are recruiting the top guys from the top colleges you are going to end up with the top tier levels of talent.

Sure luck plays a part in it, but I grew up with 0 advantages in one of the worst parts of the country with no guidance. However, I worked my *** off and got a scholarship to college and got a job on the street in PE(front office). Now all the other dis-advantages of being born poor really don't affect me because my future salary will be based off my performance.

1. It is foolish to major in something like English or History at a 50k a year school when you could either A. go to a lower tier school for cheaper and still get a HS teaching job. B. choose a major that will actually be worth your investment.

2. Some guy got ****ed and told me that HS teachers and other low payed workers have on average higher IQs than the guys on wall street. I stated that Wall Street guys on average are more gifted than any other field.

Yo ... we still on this?

Buddy, you said I probably clean toilets. And claimed you’d wager your (considerable, I’m sure) life savings that you and your buddies are smarter on average than me and mine. I’d call those some pretty wild assumptions - especially considering you know absolutely nothing about me, besides the fact that I have a better (than you) command of the English language.

And that’s not even touching your whole “only 1 way to succeed in life... have a ton of money” take. The only people that think like that are 1) on the extremes of the “how much money you had growing up” bell-curve or 2) 15-20 years old. Which is it?

Awesome man. You’re a big cool rich guy that doesn’t even have to work anymore, congratulations. I remember when I was 20 (lol, I’m not even 30) and I wanted a Ferrari and a yacht, and... I hope you got all that bullish and that it filled whatever holes that needed filling. But maybe try and donate some of that wealth to those unfortunate imbeciles who weren’t as smart/hardworking/lucky as you. If you already do, I’ll tip my cap to you sir.

I never said you probably clean toilets. I was saying I know people like you. That think because they work hard doing some menial task every day that they are smart enough to do any of these jobs. I am so confident I would take a loan out to place an even bigger bet. The fact that you are bringing up outliers to prove that getting an English degree is a smart move tells me all I need to know.

You do not have a better command of the English language and I can go back and nit pick your posts for grammar errors too.

I never said the ONE way to succeed in life is to be rich. However, struggling to make ends meet by getting a history degree is certainly not the best path to be successful.

I still have to work I just don't work 40+ hours a week. I also do donate a large portion of my income to the less fortunate.

Advertisement

“Sure luck plays a part in it, but I grew up with 0 advantages in one of the worst parts of the country with no guidance.”

Aha. My old lady is rubbing off on me. I pegged your lot from your first post. Again, congratulations on “making it” - but do be careful, and continue with those core exercises. Wouldn’t want you to lose your balance while preaching from a soapbox on top of a high horse - long way down.

And, who the **** said this? - HS teachers and other low payed workers have on average higher IQs than the guys on wall street.

“Sure luck plays a part in it, but I grew up with 0 advantages in one of the worst parts of the country with no guidance.”

Aha. My old lady is rubbing off on me. I pegged your lot from your first post. Again, congratulations on “making it” - but do be careful, and continue with those core exercises. Wouldn’t want you to lose your balance while preaching from a soapbox on top of a high horse - long way down.

And, who the **** said this? - HS teachers and other low payed workers have on average higher IQs than the guys on wall street.

Soapbox? I am trying to help other posters on this site. I am simply pointing out that if you are going to spend 50k a year on education. Spend it on a degree that will be worth your investment.

Advertisement
@OriginalGatorHater

By your best guess, how many people do you think the University of Miami sends to Wall Street each year and/or more specifically, sent the year you graduated?

I only know 2 Miami grads that work on wall street and I was the only one in my class. I got my job because I did internships every summer since freshman year in NYC and I did 2(maybe 3 I don't remember) winter internships. Even with that I didn't start out with my position. I had to take a job at a smaller firm and bust my *** for 3-4 years before I was finally able to land a spot at my current company.

The vast majority of the people working on WS are top tier Ivy Grads(Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.) and the elite foreign schools like Oxford. Next up you have the Stanford, Cornell, Duke, ND, etc guys. You have a handful of guys from the Miamis and UFs of the world, but it is rare and almost all of them started at another job and then had to apply for entry level positions to get the job.

For example a Harvard or Yale guy may be able to land an entry level PE job as soon as they graduate College. The Miami grad would most likely need to work at another firm for a few years and then apply for an entry level PE job and be on the same level as a guy who just graduated a month ago.

Most of those Wall Street guys are just salesmen anyway, so whatevs.

ya.... no they aren't lol. That would be like me saying firemen are basically housewives because they just sit around in the firehouse all day.

OBVIOUSLY, I am just saying this to show how ignorant the statement is. I have the utmost respect for The NYFD and firemen across the nation. They are extremely hard working and selfless individuals. I do not think like that at all, but I was just showing the comparison.

Soapbox? I am trying to help other posters on this site. I am simply pointing out that if you are going to spend 50k a year on education. Spend it on a degree that will be worth your investment.

You said, multiple times, that “guys on the street” (yourself included) are superior human beings. Gtfo man. I honestly thought you were joking back then - seems rather clear that you were pretty serious. Lol. Who tf are you trying to help with your “friends don’t let friends earn (insert middling salary you deem appropriate)” schtick?

I’ll say it again - if what you posit here is genuine, please go see a shrink. It can’t hurt. I could probably recommend one in the cesspool you call home.

I only know 2 Miami grads that work on wall street and I was the only one in my class. I got my job because I did internships every summer since freshman year in NYC and I did 2(maybe 3 I don't remember) winter internships. Even with that I didn't start out with my position. I had to take a job at a smaller firm and bust my *** for 3-4 years before I was finally able to land a spot at my current company.

The vast majority of the people working on WS are top tier Ivy Grads(Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.) and the elite foreign schools like Oxford. Next up you have the Stanford, Cornell, Duke, ND, etc guys. You have a handful of guys from the Miamis and UFs of the world, but it is rare and almost all of them started at another job and then had to apply for entry level positions to get the job.

For example a Harvard or Yale guy may be able to land an entry level PE job as soon as they graduate College. The Miami grad would most likely need to work at another firm for a few years and then apply for an entry level PE job and be on the same level as a guy who just graduated a month ago.

You work on Wall Street and have time to post on this site during the day?

Advertisement
Back