Palm Beach Post's Evaluation on EE's for 2018

Advertisement
Wiggins rated by this guy higher then Hightower, Campbell basically a bust, and apparently no big fan of Rouseaw despite early raves by the staff. Interesting input but who knows.

Wiggins rated by this guy higher then Hightower, Campbell basically a bust, and apparently no big fan of Rouseaw despite early raves by the staff. Interesting input but who knows.

He is looking only at high school tape.

Advertisement
I can't speak to his point system, but his analysis of Campbell and Rousseau is spot on. Campbell was championed by our staff because of his frame and his aggression in the run game. This guy recognizes that those are positives, but points out that he is athletically limited. There's space on our roster for tackles to earn time, but I'm pretty sure Campbell isn't ready, and may never be. His critique of Rousseau ultimately revolves around the fact that he's super athletic and capable but new to the position and skinny. Fortunately we know that he may be new, but he's rapidly gaining weight and seems appropriately aggressive.

The Hightower review I don't get. Dude strikes me as a mature physical presence. Maybe the body catches he saw at IMG were a consequence of having little confidence that your quarterback/s would deliver a decent ball.

I can't speak to his point system, but his analysis of Campbell and Rousseau is spot on. Campbell was championed by our staff because of his frame and his aggression in the run game. This guy recognizes that those are positives, but points out that he is athletically limited. There's space on our roster for tackles to earn time, but I'm pretty sure Campbell isn't ready, and may never be. His critique of Rousseau ultimately revolves around the fact that he's super athletic and capable but new to the position and skinny. Fortunately we know that he may be new, but he's rapidly gaining weight and seems appropriately aggressive.

The Hightower review I don't get. Dude strikes me as a mature physical presence. Maybe the body catches he saw at IMG were a consequence of having little confidence that your quarterback/s would deliver a decent ball.
The Hightower one was just all the way off and lazy imo. No one should question his speed when he was consistently burning elite dbs like Isaac Taylor Stuart , Anthony cook and others who are blazers at the army practice week

Last edited:
You can quibble here and there, but overall, he is fairly spot on. Coaching them up will be the key

Yes...look at Kansas State, UCF, USF to mention a few how they are able to coach up similar if not inferior talent. Each year there are many guys that exceed their initial expectations and unfortunately those who fall short.

Advertisement

For now I agree. Be interesting to see their desire and development. Campbell is now a little over 300 at 6-5 and may eventually move into guard

I have been saying the same thing about Campbell the entire time.

The problem with his grading of Rousseau, is that EDGE is a position that is almost completely dependent on athleticism. The DOMINANT Edge guys, are the dudes that are long, strong and can bend. If Rousseau can bend at his length dude could be a ******* monster rushing off the edge. Obviously if you are just basing it off his HS tape he wont be viewed as a truly great prospect. His entire future is based on gaining weight/strength and being athletic and long. Hes already gaining weight at a great pace. And Rousseau is going to get a lot of PT this year imo, as we have no other option. We need him to play, as we only have 5 DE's.

Between Hightower and Wiggins, I'd agree if the scope is complete career here. I think its without question Hightower is a better WR right now. I think Hightower right now is going to be our 4th WR (Until Pope gets in), behind Ahmmon, Cager, and Thomas. He's going to get a bunch of PT, while I wouldn't be surprised if Wiggins or Ezzard got a RS.

DJ Ivey he basically downgraded him due to his technique. But Ivey was working with Antrel Rolle, and Rumphs going to do a great job with him imo. I'm excited to see Ivey this yr, I think he's going to be heavily utilized.

Ezzard is a monster, and if he was an EE, he'd challenge the guys out wide, opposite Richards. Even still, doubt this guy redshirts.

Advertisement
Saw Matt Porter as the author and immediately closed it

He's not the author. A guy named Daniel Gould does the evaluations, and sends them to Porter. Porter just posts Gould's evals on the PB Post site. And yes, he does credit the guy.

I have been saying the same thing about Campbell the entire time.

The problem with his grading of Rousseau, is that EDGE is a position that is almost completely dependent on athleticism. The DOMINANT Edge guys, are the dudes that are long, strong and can bend. If Rousseau can bend at his length dude could be a ******* monster rushing off the edge. Obviously if you are just basing it off his HS tape he wont be viewed as a truly great prospect. His entire future is based on gaining weight/strength and being athletic and long. Hes already gaining weight at a great pace. And Rousseau is going to get a lot of PT this year imo, as we have no other option. We need him to play, as we only have 5 DE's.

Between Hightower and Wiggins, I'd agree if the scope is complete career here. I think its without question Hightower is a better WR right now. I think Hightower right now is going to be our 4th WR (Until Pope gets in), behind Ahmmon, Cager, and Thomas. He's going to get a bunch of PT, while I wouldn't be surprised if Wiggins or Ezzard got a RS.

DJ Ivey he basically downgraded him due to his technique. But Ivey was working with Antrel Rolle, and Rumphs going to do a great job with him imo. I'm excited to see Ivey this yr, I think he's going to be heavily utilized.

I'm a huge proponent of athleticism>all for edge rushers (Justis Mosqueda's force players metric is pretty definitive). I could definitely see Rousseau ending up as a good player, because his length is insane and he is a really good football player. There just isn't enough evidence (as of the state championship game) that he has the strength to hold up as a full time DE. As a guy who rushes/drops an equal amount, I think he's an intriguing player, but he still needs to be able to convert that speed to power or else he'll just get run past the QB every play. This sums up my thoughts on him.

I like both Hightower and Wiggins, I just like Wiggins more. My biggest concern with Hightower is I saw a lot of discomfort with catching. Some double catches on easy receptions, and there was one of the Army practices where he dropped 2/3 passes. He tracks the ball really well on deep passes and can definitely go up for the ball, but it's not overly uncommon for a receiver to catch the hard ones and drop the easy ones. It's something that can definitely change (Leonard Hankerson had a lot of similarities to Hightower and was a stud here) but the same with Rousseau, I don't have evidence that it will. I might be overrating Wiggins, but he's my type. Obviously needs to gain weight but even going back to his Soph film, he's just really fun to watch.

I have some issues with Ivey in man, especially against quicker guys. As a cover 3 guy or carrying guys vertical his coverage is beautiful, but the in breaking routes/quick stuff might get him. That type of player can still be a really good corner though, and my expectation is Ivey is a solid starter here.

Campbell is gonna get eaten up by the more explosive DL. He can be solid, but he just doesn't have the ability to make the tougher blocks.

Advertisement
This dude is basically throwing darts in a dark room. Its a crapshoot. Its all about coaching and the kid's attitude that will ultimately be the key.

I'm a huge proponent of athleticism>all for edge rushers (Justis Mosqueda's force players metric is pretty definitive). I could definitely see Rousseau ending up as a good player, because his length is insane and he is a really good football player. There just isn't enough evidence (as of the state championship game) that he has the strength to hold up as a full time DE. As a guy who rushes/drops an equal amount, I think he's an intriguing player, but he still needs to be able to convert that speed to power or else he'll just get run past the QB every play. This sums up my thoughts on him.

I like both Hightower and Wiggins, I just like Wiggins more. My biggest concern with Hightower is I saw a lot of discomfort with catching. Some double catches on easy receptions, and there was one of the Army practices where he dropped 2/3 passes. He tracks the ball really well on deep passes and can definitely go up for the ball, but it's not overly uncommon for a receiver to catch the hard ones and drop the easy ones. It's something that can definitely change (Leonard Hankerson had a lot of similarities to Hightower and was a stud here) but the same with Rousseau, I don't have evidence that it will. I might be overrating Wiggins, but he's my type. Obviously needs to gain weight but even going back to his Soph film, he's just really fun to watch.

I have some issues with Ivey in man, especially against quicker guys. As a cover 3 guy or carrying guys vertical his coverage is beautiful, but the in breaking routes/quick stuff might get him. That type of player can still be a really good corner though, and my expectation is Ivey is a solid starter here.

Campbell is gonna get eaten up by the more explosive DL. He can be solid, but he just doesn't have the ability to make the tougher blocks.
Ivey is excellent in man coverage and rarely gets beat at it. He’s known for being shut down in 7 on 7 and not many people completed passes on him this year

Personally I think you are underselling Hightower. If he had played at any other school with a legit qb he would have been even more productive. Not to mention he was average day 1 at the army game but was a top performer in each of the following days burning some of their best dbs. In the summer when he competed at the usc camp he was the top performer there that day and they had other big time players on hand at the camp.He’s 6’3 200 pounds with loads of ability

This dude is basically throwing darts in a dark room. Its a crapshoot. Its all about coaching and the kid's attitude that will ultimately be the key.
I agree completely. In South Florida, unless you are at one of the Football factories like STA or AH you pretty much guaranteed the player hasn’t received legit coaching and the S & C programs are jokes.

Hightower is gonna feed Elliot Gould those words on a giant AIDS dyck sandwich slathered in boogers.

Advertisement
Back