Pack of Wolves @ Canes 7:00 p.m. ACCn

Advertisement
Good win.

We all know the pitching woes.

We have to do a better job of situational hitting. We do a poor job of moving runners over and just making contact with 2 strikes.

This will probably not change because it doesn't seem to be a coaching emphasis, but that's what's needed to be successful. Could have scored at least 2 more runs making the game not as close by just putting the ball in play.

Again. A good win.

Hope we get a good performance from Ziehl tomorrow.

Last edited:
We’ll say what they say about Walters, he was in uniform and was on field for infield pregame as the closer usually is.

Still can’t get over using Gallo in that spot even if Walters is unavailable. You’re not helping the team and right now you’re not helping him.

Let’s hope Ziehl or Rosario gives us a decent one and we can grab the series.

Advertisement
Without having to find the answer somewhere in this thread, can someone tell me what's wrong with Walters?
The problem with Walters is that he gets too many guys out. Since Gino was trying to sabotage the game by putting in Gallo, he knew that Walters and his propensity to strike out opposing batters would have cost him the money he laid on NC State.

Advertisement
Torres dad has been complaining all week that his kid should be the closer and that he has never given up a run in one run game in the 9th inning. Geno said he didn’t realize that.

Torres dad has been complaining all week that his kid should be the closer and that he has never given up a run in one run game in the 9th inning. Geno said he didn’t realize that.
You’ve got to be kidding me with this.

Advertisement
We’ll say what they say about Walters, he was in uniform and was on field for infield pregame as the closer usually is.

Still can’t get over using Gallo in that spot even if Walters is unavailable. You’re not helping the team and right now you’re not helping him.

Let’s hope Ziehl or Rosario gives us a decent one and we can grab the series.
I would suspect they rolled with Torres expecting Walters will give 2 innings tonight and at least 1 on Sunday.

With this starting rotation right now, Walters is going to get a lot of work. Too much actually.

We need another closing option. Torres delivered last night.

I would suspect they rolled with Torres expecting Walters will give 2 innings tonight and at least 1 on Sunday.

With this starting rotation right now, Walters is going to get a lot of work. Too much actually.

I don't like what JD and Gino are doing.

There's no need to have a different closer which means not pitching Walters multiple innings.

I think the best option is Torres, Chestnut, then Walters. That gets us 7-9 every game.

The reason I like that order is Chestnut has a devastating change-up that just messes with hitters. Follow thst up with Walters, and his 96-99 fastball looks like 105-108. It's a great contrast.

Those guys are the 3 best options to close out games.

Scinta has proved reliable and a very nice bridge piece.

Gallo cannot see the mound again unless in a blowout game where he can prove he has regained command. This year he doesn't have any command of his pitches. His misses are way off the plate making it easy for hitters to ignore. They sit on everything over the middle of the plate which he will deliver with his lack off command. His ERA is likely above 15 now..

We need our starters to go at least 5 innings and then 1 more arm to pair with Scinta to get us to the 7th where Torres, Chestnut, and Walters take over.

Last edited:

If that’s the strategy I personally don’t like it. You win the game you are in and worry about tomorrow…tomorrow. It worked out, but at 9-8 I would have went to my best pitcher who is Walters.

Advertisement
They are sabotaging the team... seems pretty clear. Farrow should be in the lineup every single day which is so obvious it's weird. They ruined one of the best lead off hitters in the ACC. Now they are not using the best closer in the ACC in one run games against ranked teams who are undefeated.

If I was Rad I need to know something was wrong with Walters last night or I fire Geno right then. He keeps pitching Gallo who gets shelled, He overuses Walters by thinking he is a two inning guy when last season ended Walters couldn't hit 94. He kept him for a second inning last weekend when they were up by what 8 runs. He cant recruit even 3 decent starters. They should have gone out and gotten a good shortstop when they realized Dom will never ever hit 300.

If that’s the strategy I personally don’t like it. You win the game you are in and worry about tomorrow…tomorrow. It worked out, but at 9-8 I would have went to my best pitcher who is Walters.
I agree with this. Always win the game in front of you. Ziehl and Rosario could well melt down leaving you without Walters all weekend, having also bypassed him in a tie game on Wednesday.

It would not surprise me if this was the case. The o’l “were saving Johnny for the championship” strategy. The strategy that gets you beat by 15 in the semis.

We do need another closing option. The ACC opener against a good offensive team, is not the time to find it. You do that with a 3 run lead against BC or on wednesdays.

Advertisement
Back