Overrated CFB coaches

are you serious? Mike Leach is not overrated. What he has done with low tier p5 teams is good. Scott Frost....too early to say. Brian Kelly...maybe

True over rated is Charlie Weiss, Charlie Strong, Randy Edsall, Larry Coker, Randy Shannon, Lou Holtz, Al Golden

Too early to say??? What does that even mean???

Per CIS, if a coach isn't immediately successful in his very first year as a HC, he is trash.

There's no such thing as too early! If by the spring game the team isn't clicking, it's time to clean house.

Advertisement
Nick Saban. Can't win without cheating and dropping major bags to acquire the most talent. Does he ever outcoach anyone?

#sort_of_kidding #only_sort_of

How the eff are we defining "overrated"?

Mike Leach has won every where he's gone, including WSU, which was an utter dumpster fire when he took over. Brian Kelly has Notre Dame regularly in the Top 10 and made the playoffs last year. Shaw has won 11, 12, 11, 8, 12, 10, 9 and 9 games in his time at Stanford; you're telling me that's "overrated?"

I would take Leach, Shaw, and Kelly running this program over Manny or Butch in a heartbeat. Frost would give me pause, but Nebraska is a tough place to win these days.

For his salary and bulletproof job security my choice would be Kirk Ferentz..last 10 years are very similar to richt at Georgia.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The 4 I can think of are Mike Leach, David Shaw, Scott Frost and Brian Kelly.

And please don't say Willie Taggart or Manny Diaz- in order to be overrated somebody has to think that you're good.
Brett Bielema

Brian Kelly and Chip Kelly, Kirby Smart, Bobby Bowden (Sorry he was very overrated to me gamgummit, looking like Carroll O'Conner from In the Heat of the Night)....

Smart is a good choice.

Chip it’s hard to say. I think most people realize he’s been a terrible coach at UCLA.

Bobby Bowden is an extremely dumb suggestion. 14 straight top 5 finishes.

Advertisement
Smart is a good choice.

Chip it’s hard to say. I think most people realize he’s been a terrible coach at UCLA.

Bobby Bowden is an extremely dumb suggestion. 14 straight top 5 finishes.
Smart is a bit overrated.
Bowden, I don't care what anyone says. All those ACC chips and only 2 matty's?

Overrated to me.
And Chip was good, but overrated at Oregon and I genuinely hate the guy being an Eagles fan as well.

Smart is a bit overrated.
Bowden, I don't care what anyone says. All those ACC chips and only 2 matty's?

Overrated to me.
And Chip was good, but overrated at Oregon and I genuinely hate the guy being an Eagles fan as well.

I think Chip lost his shine in his NFL stint. But you can’t call his tenure at Oregon overrated.

Jimbo?

only came up during a terrible run of UM and UF... we get a decent coach and he promptly loses his win streak and then runs away

Advertisement
Who was that guy who never played college football, but bragged about a "schematic advantage." Hmm...Sounds like another HC coaching right now...

Advertisement
Brian Kelly and Chip Kelly, Kirby Smart, Bobby Bowden (Sorry he was very overrated to me gamgummit, looking like Carroll O'Conner from In the Heat of the Night)....

Bowden overrated? You’re a clown. His only issue was us moron. You were born in the 90’s weren’t you?

Go Canes!

How could you make an overrated coaches thread without mentioning Mark Richt?

Overrated at UGA, slightly better than Al Golden at Miami.

David Shaw overrated? To have that much success with consistency at Stanford, it’s unheard of.

He's definitely overrated....and the coach right before him literally did a way better job and built the team up but Shaw is slowly letting it become **** again..so his "success" isn't unheard of at all.

Larry, Randy, Al, Mark, and a guy named Manny that I'm not supposed to mention, so I won't mention Manny.

Advertisement
Back