Overrated and underrated players

Duke Johnson tops my underrated list. He would have been a Heisman contender on better Canes teams.

For overrated, I go with Ken Dorsey. People always cite his record to prove how great he was, as if he really had much to do with it. Honestly, I think there’s about a 50/50 chance that the 2001 team would have won the national championship with Kirby Freeman as QB.
You do realize Ken Dorsey was in the NFL for what, 6 years? Let me know how long Kirby Freeman stayed on an NFL roster.

Advertisement
I don't think anyone ever argued that Dorsey was a "great QB". He was just exactly what that team needed at that time.
A QB that could complete easy passes to wide open players. We all saw it when Kenny Kelly was missing Bubba Franks. All we needed was a guy that could see the field, make a decision, and complete what is commonly known as a forward pass. Dorsey was that QB. I'm telling you, we have had coaches for nearly 20 years that look at everything but IQ. They want strong armed, fast, athletic, dual threat, but don't consider the intangibles. Every HC since Butch would play Jarren Williams over Ken Dorsey.

A QB that could complete easy passes to wide open players. We all saw it when Kenny Kelly was missing Bubba Franks. All we needed was a guy that could see the field, make a decision, and complete what is commonly known as a forward pass. Dorsey was that QB. I'm telling you, we have had coaches for nearly 20 years that look at everything but IQ. They want strong armed, fast, athletic, dual threat, but don't consider the intangibles. Every HC since Butch would play Jarren Williams over Ken Dorsey.
Well said, man. And he was dedicated as ****. A total football nerd who spent all of his time outside of class dedicated to watching film, learning, and becoming the best football player his somewhat limited skill set allowed him to. We haven't had a QB with that mindset since. Not even close, in fact. There couldn't have been a much better QB for that '01 team than Ken Dorsey.

Another sneaky candidate for underrated: Warren Sapp. One of the best defensive tackles in college AND pro history, but his legacy is offset tremendously because it's impossible to talk about his accomplishments without mentioning that he's an *******. (See, I just did it.)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back