Out Of State Commits

Udynasty

Redshirt Freshman
7 out of our 20 commits are out of State. Hitting areas like Georgia, Jersey, Louisiana, Texas among others. Shows you that Manny is not playing around and not waiting to be left at the altar while all the good options are gone. Very smart... You take your time and play games we will recruit others and sign the Fl talent that wants to be here. Obviously you always make room for the elite elite, but you fill out your class and have someone there just in case they don't come... If they do you stack chips.

Advertisement
I’ve always thought the Florida ratio should be between 65-75 percent. We can and should recruit nationally due to our brand power. Some of our best players (Reed, DJ Williams, Dorsey, etc.) we’ve ever had have come from out of state. As DMoney mentioned on the most recent podcast, it’s definitely a down year in Florida and Manny is adjusting to that.

Advertisement
More telling. Since June, 5 of 9 recruits have been out of state. Manny is not waiting around.
This is pretty much the intended purpose and results of the Paradise camp... Summer is when the kids can travel freely and it shows the level of interest that the out of state kids truly have! Paradise has the elite locals (including upcoming classes) and all the OOS kids. Now, we will slowly transition back to locals.

***** these South Florida divas! Stack the team with OOS players. Guys like Chaney are rare - from South Florida that actually WANT to come to the U. I think the staff realizes that - no matter how much love you show them, they always - almost all of them - find their way to Tuscaloosa, Athens, Columbus, etc.

Advertisement
Honestly I don’t think we should be 75% Florida kids anymore.. those days are over. Ballas come from all over the nation. If you can play you can play **** where you from. That’s why teams like baga and Clams are beasts cause they go out and get ballas! They eval kids from all over the place. They cast the widest nets so they catch the most fish. And they throw the small ones back in. I think it’s lazy to just stay down here, go out west and get some big samoans too, **** it. They island boys so they would love the area. Get out there and find ballas!

Advertisement
I like that Manny is waiting around for divas or pipe dreams. They are taking good players from out of state and not waiting on local guys who expect to begged and bought for months. Miami is still a national brand and it has huge benefits to out of state guys (the city, weather, small school, good academics, NFL pipeline).

The only issue I have today is not taking a few local 3 stars who are die hard canes fans early and “processing” them out later if things come together for big targets like Flowe, Washington, Walker, Tennison, Williams, etc.. I know it’s cut throat but all the big dogs do something like that. I guess I’d let a few plan B guys commit before July to really focus the recruiting up until national signing day on the elite kids.

If studs like Chaney, Redding, Moise, Francois, Fleming, etc... commit early the staff almost has to promise not to recruit over them but if they are up front with the other kids that they have to earn the right to keep their spot this class would be full today. The staff would essentially be recruiting less than 10 elite guys right up until signing day.

Advertisement
Actually this is basically what Urban did at OSU. And, while it is impossible to like the guy, he did it brilliantly:

You start with good, or better, "local" talent. Lock down what you can, but don't limit your scope.
You have a national brand and some positions you can't regularly fill with local talent.
You do your best to lock down the locals, while also using your national brand to actually recruit nationally.
You start really winning.
Rinse and repeat, but now you become one of the true places to be, so the locals can't mess around and you are a real national player, so the out of staters have to start making real decisions as well.

Not many schools have serious "local" talent pools and a real national brand. We are one of those. Manny gets that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back