Our Punt Formation

Iggcane

Recruit
Sorry if its already been discussed, but I was wondering why we have moved to the spread punt formation? It seems to me that the elite special team units across the country use the old, or traditional, punt formation. So I was just curious, does it offer some competitive advantages? Perhaps cover punts better because more guys are starting from a standing position?

From my point of view, it is filled with gaps, and seems to allow teams to put a lot more pressure on our punter than the other formation. Do we not have the athletes for the other formation? I just never really understood why teams started to move in this direction.

Thanks

Advertisement
Easier to control your lanes when running down field. As opposed to the older one where you have to spread out like a fan. The one they are now using is more like kick off.
Less busted assignment and easier to contain.
The protection lends it self to gaps but if you don't cover the outside guys they are still eligible receivers and a quick first down can happen.

What I didn't like about it was that it seemed like every time we punt there were three big dudes (like 2 DL and 1 OL) in the back three. I get it, max protection. But I like to have a guy like DJ Williams back there for the fake, keeps them honest. Three big fat dudes back there = no chance of a direct snap. So they always see three hogs back there and then you put in Hagens back there they know it's coming (if they are observant anyway).

The turds had the wedge break figured out (one of things Al mentioned to be fixed), where they ran 3 guys right at our 3 back there and the middle rusher came over and through the middle blocker - worked great the first time for the blocked kick. Folks will be licking their chops to do the same.

O'Donnell lined up seemingly too close to the wedge (to me), and that didn't change during the remainder of the game. My first adjustment thought was to back him up a couple yards to give him some extra time to not feel rushed, and keep his steps. Every kick thereafter I had my heart in my throat, felt like I survived the game with him LOL as the ball just cleared an outstretched arm each subsequent time.

Loved the way O'Donnell kept his poise the rest of the game though. Dude is special. And, Hurns (pretty sure it was him) owes him a steak dinner for allowing a beauty of a kick to touchback, at the 1 yard line.

The turds had the wedge break figured out (one of things Al mentioned to be fixed), where they ran 3 guys right at our 3 back there and the middle rusher came over and through the middle blocker - worked great the first time for the blocked kick. Folks will be licking their chops to do the same.

O'Donnell lined up seemingly too close to the wedge (to me), and that didn't change during the remainder of the game. My first adjustment thought was to back him up a couple yards to give him some extra time to not feel rushed, and keep his steps. Every kick thereafter I had my heart in my throat, felt like I survived the game with him LOL as the ball just cleared an outstretched arm each subsequent time.

Loved the way O'Donnell kept his poise the rest of the game though. Dude is special. And, Hurns (pretty sure it was him) owes him a steak dinner for allowing a beauty of a kick to touchback, at the 1 yard line.

It was Burns.

Advertisement
rule number 1....dont block a man, block a gap.......that's why the punt was blocked...

Advertisement
Back