Our problems today lie in the past

Excuses. A good coach has his guys ready to play. We have more than enough talent to soundly beat CMU. Not lose to a GT team that's not even a year into a rebuild moving from being a triple option team. GT is completely changing what they had been doing for a decade and we let them come into our house and leave with a W. Our guys have not been ready to play in a single game this year. That's bad coaching.
This is true. Regardless, whether it is poor recruiting, poor development or poor preparation, it all flows to the coaches, and in this case our first year head coach is responsible for all of this on the defensive side.

Advertisement
Impossible. I heard we're the second most talented team in the ACC.

Our team ******* sucks. 1 above average player and about 5 average players does not make an offense. Don't even get me started on the defense.

This team is ******* ****, further compounded by the worst DC in all of America, the worst OL in the history of OLs, and Manny being a fake HC.

End program

It’s funny how some who are staunch slurpers tried to justify our attrition. They mentioned Bama, UGA, Clemson, OSU to name a few. This beta argument have allowed them to feel good about the direction of this program. Dummies don’t realize that when those aforementioned programs lose a blue chip, they are replacing them w a blue chip. These imbeciles don’t realize that if a couple of blue chips don’t pan out, there’s another 15 to choose from.

We are in no position to miss evaluate, load this roster full of “hidden gems”, or lose blue chips to the portal. Every year is a fcking rebuild b/c they can’t get their chit together.
Facts they are the average fans that they see a recruit put on a jersey they think the jersey makes them good. It’s the player inside that jersey that makes him good.

The only way a season like this is acceptable if we had a Kirby smart class coming in to rid of the junk. U see a Oregon? They have injuries and youth playing but the youth is elite cause it was there best class in there history so some youth is better then the actual starters.

Richt's 2016 team, aka Golden's team, was 100x more talented than this horribly mismanaged Frankenstein of a roster.

Its without a doubt a combination of players and coaches. The problem is we should have hired coaches capable of beating 1-5 teams going through a legitimate rebuild.

Advertisement
Impossible. I heard we're the second most talented team in the ACC.

Our team ******* sucks. 1 above average player and about 5 average players does not make an offense. Don't even get me started on the defense.

This team is ******* ****, further compounded by the worst DC in all of America, the worst OL in the history of OLs, and Manny being a fake HC.

End program

Truthfully, w how we’ve been recruiting compared to everyone on our schedule, sans FSU, no one understands how we are where we are. I’ve said it since the beginning, the player development here sucks.

U don’t realize how weak our team looks until u see other programs players. Our Sr’s look like they came High School still. None of them look NFL ready.

Its without a doubt a combination of players and coaches. The problem is we should have hired coaches capable of beating 1-5 teams going through a legitimate rebuild.

I’ll ask the ? again, who’s on this staph is looking to be poached by a NFL team? What about a P5 program? That’s the difference from yesteryear to this year. I can’t recall from any of the last 4 regimes to have coaches who were looking to be poached. Mario?

There is no disputing this

However, it’s equally are hard to state that we are 3-4 because the teams we’ve played have more talent than us

This current staff, as a whole, is just not good enough
May not be the competition has more talent, but more experience. I don't know.

Still, neither talent nor experience overcomes stupidity. Like not covering a gunner on a fake punt.

Facts they are the average fans that they see a recruit put on a jersey they think the jersey makes them good. It’s the player inside that jersey that makes him good.

The only way a season like this is acceptable if we had a Kirby smart class coming in to rid of the junk. U see a Oregon? They have injuries and youth playing but the youth is elite cause it was there best class in there history so some youth is better then the actual starters.

Say less pimp. Like it’s obvious; hence I say we need to stop using the word elite w EVERY recruit.

Advertisement
Say less pimp. Like it’s obvious; hence I say we need to stop using the word elite w EVERY recruit.
I hate our recruiting class right now it sucks, I hated last cycles besides very few. Chaney is the only one I can say yo that’s a stud no matter what.

I’ll ask the ? again, who’s on this staph is looking to be poached by a NFL team? What about a P5 program? That’s the difference from yesteryear to this year. I can’t recall from any of the last 4 regimes to have coaches who were looking to be poached. Mario?

Mario, Jed Fish, Hartley, maybe Dugans but just by FSU, ust off the top of my head but the list is very short. Look at Butch's or even Coker's staffs. A lot of up and comers who were being poached.

Mario, Jed Fish, Hartley, maybe Dugans but just by FSU, ust off the top of my head but the list is very short. Look at Butch's or even Coker's staffs. A lot of up and comers who were being poached.

Exactly.

So we don’t have enough talent to not be 3-4 with better QBs, a better offensive system, and the same defense?

We can’t beat two first year teams in UNC and GT? We can’t beat on his death bed Brian Fuentes?

Stop looking to blame players for the ineptitude of the totally out of his league coach we inexplicably hired.

Manny Diaz has no business being hired here. His resume was a joke for UM, and his best offer on the open market was TEMPLE for a reason. Stop looking for all these secret reasons we suck when the most obvious thing in the world is we hired a guy who could barely get a G5 gig, and hired him simply bc his dad is friends with the BOT.
First, this is not the same Defense as last year..for obvious reasons if your a fan u know the guys we loss left glaring holes..i said this during the off-season.

now do we have enough “talent”. See this is where the Star rating system has some ppl shook. Yes, talent wise A team like Ga tech would take our player over there’s as freshman to develop, ofc..BUT we are depending on our talent Fresh out of Highschool too early. 18/19 year olds who have talent just came from HS against 20/21/22 year old plus vets. Experience matters.Especially with our talent from south Florida cause ima be honest the coaching and development in HS down here isn’t all that.

lasty, we overrate our talent. There are no Freshmen, imo who are playing for us that would be at bama getting the early burn they do here. So it’s a cycle. You look at what Butch did from 95-00, he redshirted a lot of those young studs to build depth. if you do that this kid are more physically developed and mentally developed. But can youdo that today? I don’t think so because these kids will take their cleats and leave the program in a heartbeat.

now it’s a bottom line business and if the coach isn’t getting it done they get canned. I personally see a cycle and I would love to see who ever the coach is try and build this roster the right way

Advertisement
Recruiting has been bad for years some fans don’t realize this.

Recruiting has been bad, but we've had very questionable staffs that don't develop kids. Who developed? Dline and some DBs. Who have people said were our best position coaches? Kul, Simpson and Rumph.

The freshmen LBs did not continue to improve throughout their careers. No other LBs have stepped up for playing time. Our LBs guess on holes/reads and sometimes make plays and other times don't. I don't see quality instincts or reads enough to say they are well coaches and developed.

The olinemen did not even become serviceable starters or backups.

The QBs play has been poor.

The WRs don't run quality routes.

DB play is up and down.

Recruiting has been bad, but we've had very questionable staffs that don't develop kids. Who developed? Dline and some DBs. Who have people said were our best position coaches? Kul, Simpson and Rumph.

The freshmen LBs did not continue to improve throughout their careers. No other LBs have stepped up for playing time. Our LBs guess on holes/reads and sometimes make plays and other times don't. I don't see quality instincts or reads enough to say they are well coaches and developed.

The olinemen did not even become serviceable starters or backups.

The QBs play has been poor.

The WRs don't run quality routes.

DB play is up and down.
To me the linebackers have been the same since they got here cause two of them were finished products. They werent overly explosive so when they added weight there bodies didnt handle it speed wise. Shaq especially qhen hia dad posted here i would say your son needs to trim down. Sophmore year they listened and slimmed down. They are who they are and good dt play masked alot of the weaknesses

Advertisement
let me be clear about something...my original post was not intended to defend OR criticize the current coaching staff but merely to point out 2 important points:
1. Being under the 85 scholarship limit is almost like having self imposed sanctions which hurts our depth and makes it harder to sustain injuries as the season develops

2. Even the current players that we think are good are really not that special.

our roster needs to be redone by someone (current or future coach) to get us up to an elite level and at full strength.

Richt's 2016 team, aka Golden's team, was 100x more talented than this horribly mismanaged Frankenstein of a roster.

Translation, all those recruiting misses by Manny, Banda and Rumph (and the other none recruiters Manny surrounds himself with) are finally catching up to us. That's the main reason why the defense hasn't taken a step back. They coached up Golden's kids but now they have to rely on their own evals.

The offense is a whole different animal, Searles royally ****ed up OL recruiting.

In 2015 and 2016 Miami's recruiting classes were a disaster.

What is left of those kids are now seniors and there are so very little of them and few are difference makers.and we are paying the price for this now.

of the 2015 class Robert knowles and Scott Patchan are still on the team...neither was a highly rated recruit back then and neither is a difference maker today.
Larence Cager was in that class too but transferred and also wasn't a difference maker.

of the 2016 class remaining players are SHaq, Pickney, McCloud(now redshirting so not even playing), Mike Irvin, Romeo Finley and Pat Bethel.
The LB were difference makers, Bethel is solid if unspectacular and Finley isn't having a great year either. None of these players were 5 star recruits and I doubt any will be high draft picks.

The rest of the seniors on our roster transferred in and there are no seniors on the offensive line which is all Al Golden's fault as he was the primary recruiter of these classes.

Then you go into 2017 and this is all on Richt. HIs evaluations on recruits were terrible to say the least.

Here are all the busts:
Kai Leon Herbert
Zack Dykstra
Zillontae Hillary
DJ Johnson( transferred)
Deandre Wilder(injury)
Brian Polendey (is he still on the team)
Evidence Njoku (or lack thereof)
Steed
Cade Weldon
Bradley Jennings??
Derrick Smith(transferred, aweful in coverage)
Zach Feagles(transferred, couldn't punt)

It's hard to believe this was the 12th rated class in the nation and 2nd best in the ACC when out of 25 enrollees half of them either left or just couldn't play!!

When you move into the 2018 class thing start to get a little better but we are literally missing an entire class which is why we are not at full strength and the players who are difference makers are in the 2018 and 2019 classes only. It also doesn't help that we have had 3 coaches in the last 4 years as this constant turnover generates even more player turnover and poor recruiting classes.

Real player evaluation and recruiting along with redshirting and building up our roster to full strength is currently under way. We just can't win with 70 something players on the roster and the upperclassmen being outplayed by true freshman! Hopefully the new players will bring new attitudes of competition and sticking it out instead of running away from the competition.
2018 not fairing much better:

QB: Williams- transfer

RB: Lingard- transfer
RB: Harris- Likely starter in 2020, fighting off 2 incoming freshmen
FB: George- transfer

WR: Hightower- transfer
WR: Ezzard- transfer
WR: Pope- yet to make significant contribution
WR: Wiggins- is the biggest contributor from this group so far

TE: Jordan- difference maker
TE: Mallory- shown flashes here and there

OL: Scaife- started since freshman year
OL: Reed- In and out of the portal
OL: Campbell- hasn't shown much

DL: Silvera- In the mix to start in 2020
DL: Miller- In the mix to start in 2020
DL: Rousseau- LOL difference maker

LB: Joyner- yet to play

DB: Hall- settled in nicely late last year
DB: Ivey- up and down
DB: Frierson yet to contribute
DB: Blades- likely starter in 2020
DB: Bethel- transfer

K: Baxa- transfer
LS: James- he snaps the ball well?

24 guys got scholarships
7 have already transferred, and it's not hard to pick out another 3 or 4 that could/should in the next year
1 went to a long snapper

Only 2 guys you can call special or difference makers

Worst of all, this was the class we signed coming off our best season in ~15 years

/Edit:
Going into Spring 2020, we now sit at 79 guys on scholarship and prevented from getting above 81 by the annual limit. So by 2021, we should be the closest to 85 that we've been in almost a decade

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back