Our Kicker and Punter!

How's our new kicker?
I hear he's got a leg. I hope we don't need him (score TD's, not FGs).

And our sophomore punter?
I figure he's improved a lot since his mediocre to scary freshman punting. No place but up.
Hope we don't need him much either.

You're catching a lot of ***** from posters but the kicking game is an important facet of the game. Nobody cares until the kicker or punter screws something up. See FSU game, ND game, circa 2016. That was with an experienced kicker.

Last year, the punter should have earned the nickname Pepto. We just never new what to expect with that freshman. See Pitt game, circa 2017, 13 yard punt, ensuing drive results in Pitt TD to end the 1st half. See ACC championship game, 16 yard punt from Miami 25 down 14-0, ensuing drive results in Clemson TD. Feagles was rated 102nd out of 107 punters with a minimum of 3.6 punts per game.

The kicking game should be a part of the team that you don't want to talk about because it doesn't get noticed past the "nice punt" comments in in-game threads. If the bad plays stand out and affect the game, then discussion is warranted.

Sleep easy, though. Feagles will be better but not sure about a freshman kicker. I think we'll be redirecting the Pepto monicker from Feagles to Baxa. Doesn't seem like jag though and actually has some size!

"High School: Listed as three-star prospect by ESPN.com and 247Sports.com…Rated as fourth-best kicker in nation by ESPN.com…Ranked as 126th-best prospect in the state of Texas by ESPN.com…Rated No. 14 kicker nationwide by 247Sports.com…Competed at 2017 Texas Showcase…Selected to 2018 Blue-Grey All-American Bowl in Dallas…Listed as No. 2 rated kicker in country according to Kohl’s Kicking Rankings...Named first team all-district as punter in 2015…Chose Miami over offers from Baylor and Army, among others."

Advertisement
Feagles was great in the bowl game but he was up and down all season but again he was a freshman . Dude is a talented and I have no worries about him. By junior year he wil be all ACC . I do think Baxa might have the yips in year 1 and have to work thru it . He rarely misses 55 yard fgs but seems to struggle with 25 yarders or at least that is what people say.

Feagles hit the ball well in the bowl game. I expect him to have a good year and set himself up to be the Ray Guy winner before he is done.

Advertisement
I really really hope Feagles gets his act together this coming season. appears his problem is a lack of concentration.
Surely we have another option in camp in the event he can't seem to work it out

Feagles was great in the bowl game but he was up and down all season but again he was a freshman . Dude is a talented and I have no worries about him. By junior year he wil be all ACC . I do think Baxa might have the yips in year 1 and have to work thru it . He rarely misses 55 yard fgs but seems to struggle with 25 yarders or at least that is what people say.

we don´t have til his junior season to see vast improvement.

How could he possibly be brimming with game confidence?
From what he said, i.e., that being in HRS and the big-time "lights" sorta took him aback. Fact is, kickers don't get the luxury of easing into real game action and the one thing you want to see is confidence. Opener is a tough environment for the young man (huge stadium, national game, home state, etc); we'll just have to hope he rises to the occasion.

I think we have a lot of good players on offense and defense, and I think CRM will take us back to the ACC championship game (vs. Clemson undoubtedly) but our special teams needs to show up too. Can't wait to see what happens in Dallas vs. LSU. From Twitter, courtesy Josh White:

Dk7fSTwWsAQGGLg.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think Bubba will be fine along with Feagles. My concern is Game 1 under all the lights for our frosh kicker. If he can perform well there, he’ll be breaking with confidence the rest of the season. Feagles has nowhere else to go but up, and I think he will surprise us this year, even boo I g a couple in the LSU game. I think with the speed we have amassed that will now play ST’s that we shall see a marked improvement over last year’s attempt.

If Feagles lacks concentration? Give the **** kid some : Adderall 👍
I'm sure he can find some around campus or I can provide him with some 😁

Anyone wanna take odds on whether Bubba shanks the opening kick out of bounds?

I think he’s going to be fine, but his first kickoff? I hope he nails it through the uprights. What a message that would send?

Advertisement
* The kicking situation coming out of the scrimmage?

Freshman Bubba Baxa was much better after missing both his field goal tries in scrimmage one (from 50 and 57). He made all three field goal tries and hit his extra points.

A side story line to keep an eye on is the guy who has emerged as the No. 2 kicker this fall - he's a graduate senior transfer from Fordham who is doing well ... Alejandro Cardenas. If Baxa falters he'll be the guy UM turns to. He hit his only field goal attempt last night. Here's Cardenas' bio from Fordham.

Advertisement
Back