Our Basketball Program

jackedaround

Junior
Is now on the national level. Thank you Coach L and staff.

Since L & company have joined we accomplished the following:

NCAA Division I Regional — Final Four (2023)
1x NCAA Elite 8
2x Sweet 16
6 NCAA Tournament Appearances (out of 12 years or 50% of the time)
ACC Regular Season (2013, 2023)
ACC Tournament Champs (2013)

Players drafted in the NBA:
Miller
Wong
Hernandez
Walker
Brown
Reed
Larkin

Go Canes!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Is now on the national level. Thank you Coach L and staff.

Since L & company have joined we accomplished the following:

NCAA Division I Regional — Final Four (2023)
1x NCAA Elite 8
2x Sweet 16
6 NCAA Tournament Appearances (out of 12 years or 50% of the time)
ACC Regular Season (2013, 2023)
ACC Tournament Champs (2013)

Players drafted in the NBA:
Miller
Wong
Hernandez
Walker
Brown
Reed
Larkin

Go Canes!!
of note: Larkin would still be in the NBA but he prefers living in Europe.

Advertisement
I like our chances to repeat last years outcome.

We're returning 3 out 5 starters and 7 scholarship players from last years team. Most players make their biggest jump from year 1 to year 2(we saw this). So we've got 3 guys we can expect to see some sort of improvement from next year.

Brought in Cleveland who was one of FSpoos team leaders. He easily replaces either starter from last years team in production and leadership.

Norchad is prepared to make the little conference to big conference jump like Jordan Miller did from his first year in the ACC to his second year.

But really its the freshmen we have that makes this team better than last year. They seem to be more experienced and talented than the year before. Some of them look ACC ready right now in certain areas. They're also a good base to build the future around. You can't maintain a program based on portal transfers.

Our depth is going to be much better and so our scrimmages should be more intense.

Last edited:

We're returning 3 out 5 starters and 7 scholarship players from last years team. Most players make their biggest jump from year 1 to year 2(we saw this). So we've got 3 guys we can expect to see some sort of improvement from next year.

Brought in Cleveland who was one of FSpoos team leaders. He easily replaces either starter from last years team in production and leadership.

Norchad is prepared to make the little conference to big conference jump like Jordan Miller did from his first year in the ACC to his second year.

But really its the freshmen we have that makes this team better than last year. They seem to be more experienced and talented than the year before. Some of them look ACC ready right now in certain areas. They're also a good base to build the future around. You can't maintain a program based portal transfers.

Our depth is going to be much better and so our scrimmages should be more intense.

Great post. For all the talk about depth I’d take 6-10 from this coming year’s team over 6-10 from last year. And I don’t think it’s close.

Great post. For all the talk about depth I’d take 6-10 from this coming year’s team over 6-10 from last year. And I don’t think it’s close.
Interesting idea, but I'm not sure I agree:

6) Joseph vs Watson - Watson is an unknown and Joseph was the perfect 6th man. He was our best perimeter defender, a good 3pt shooter, and a decent ball handler. I take 2023.
7) Walker vs Casey - Casey was better than Walker even last year, although Walker had a few good games (e.g. vs IU). I take 2024.
8) Bev vs George - this one is tough. I think George will contribute about the same as Bev did. A few big games (Cuse, NC St, UConn), and decent play in spot minutes the rest. I'll call it a push.
9) Casey vs Nwoko - I take 2024.
10) Aire vs Robinson - I take neither lol a push here too.

That’s 2 for '24, 2 pushes, and 1 for '23. It's close. 2024's bench definitely has more upside, but it's very unproven.

Would you take 2024's starters over 2023's? It's about the same to me, since the returners should all be better versions of their 2023 selves.

Development will be huge for this team, more than it was for last year's team. I think we'll be in the 5-8 seed range, with the potential for more.

Advertisement

But really its the freshmen we have that makes this team better than last year. They seem to be more experienced and talented than the year before. Some of them look ACC ready right now in certain areas. They're also a good base to build the future around. You can't maintain a program based portal transfers.

I am expecting Watson to go postal in ACC play this season...

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure I agree:

6) Joseph vs Watson - Watson is an unknown and Joseph was the perfect 6th man. He was our best perimeter defender, a good 3pt shooter, and a decent ball handler. I take 2023.
7) Walker vs Casey - Casey was better than Walker even last year, although Walker had a few good games (e.g. vs IU). I take 2024.
8) Bev vs George - this one is tough. I think George will contribute about the same as Bev did. A few big games (Cuse, NC St, UConn), and decent play in spot minutes the rest. I'll call it a push.
9) Casey vs Nwoko - I take 2024.
10) Aire vs Robinson - I take neither lol a push here too.

That’s 2 for '24, 2 pushes, and 1 for '23. It's close. 2024's bench definitely has more upside, but it's very unproven.

Would you take 2024's starters over 2023's? It's about the same to me, since the returners should all be better versions of their 2023 selves.

Development will be huge for this team, more than it was for last year's team. I think we'll be in the 5-8 seed range, with the potential for more.
Pretty hard to think Miller and Wong's "replacements" will be better. That's a tall order to replace those points. Casey was not better than Walker last season. If he were, he woulda played more. I'll be surprised if George isn't, by mid-year, an upgrade over Beverly. If Nwoko can effectively spell Omier, that'll be huge.

Pretty hard to think Miller and Wong's "replacements" will be better. That's a tall order to replace those points. Casey was not better than Walker last season. If he were, he woulda played more. I'll be surprised if George isn't, by mid-year, an upgrade over Beverly. If Nwoko can effectively spell Omier, that'll be huge.
No, Joseph and Cleveland won't make 1st and 2nd team All ACC, but they don't need to. Omier, Pack, and Wooga will do better than one All ACC third team selection.

Advertisement
Back