OT- Zion Williamson duke

Vernon Carey Jr has more skill (shooting, dribbling) than Zion Williamson but Zion is 10 times more athletic than Vernon Carey Jr.

The problem for Vernon next season is that everything he does will be compared to Zion when he puts on that Duke uniform.

Advertisement
Just on pure strength, I think Zion's "floor" is still a pretty darn good NBA forward. It's his "ceiling" that may not be as high as many think. A very safe draft pick (he's def not gonna be a failure) but ... questionable whether his game rates the overall #1 in the draft pick.

I don't think he is going to be the next great NBA player like people are making him out to be. That said he will go number one overall because he is the best in this relatively weak draft class.

Advertisement
The draft is an educated guess as to future NBA performance. Any guess to me is questionable. Given his college dominance, though, a drafting team would be hard pressed not to take him #1, regardless of the "strength" of the draft pool.

The draft is an educated guess as to future NBA performance. Any guess to me is questionable. Given his college dominance, though, a drafting team would be hard pressed not to take him #1, regardless of the "strength" of the draft pool.
GM's and Owners have to take into account asses in seats, too. Zion is super-talented, plus he's been a viral sensation as a dunker since HS. He's got brand recognition already. That has a value to whoever drafts him in addition to his actual talent on the floor.

That is false. Strength of draft pool would player a big part in him getting drafted overall number 1. There are plenty of strong draft classes in which he would not go number one overall. 2003 class and 1984 class are the most obvious ones, but numerous other classes he would not be number 1 in either.

So basically your point is that Zion is clearly the best player in the draft, but because the draft is just an educated guess him getting drafted number 1 is questionable? Why even mention that. Everyone knows success in college does not guarantee success in the NBA.

Advertisement
1554597975363.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back