OT: Youtuber/Ex UCF Kicker

The facade of "amateur status" has to continue or college athletics will lose it's tax exempt status. It's really that simple. As soon as they start giving up ground the politicians will swarm them like vultures to get their tax $$

Exactly. The conversation starts and ends with this.

Advertisement
I challenge someone to give a valid argument as to why kids shouldn't be able to profit off of their likeness. Where are all the "it will ruin CFB" people at?

Who outside the NCAA itself would argue you that a kid shouldn't be able to profit off their likeness? Even the, "these kids get a scholarship and shouldn't get paid" crowd isn't going to debate a player's ability to use a social media channel to generate revenue.

Advertisement
Who outside the NCAA itself would argue you that a kid shouldn't be able to profit off their likeness? Even the, "these kids get a scholarship and shouldn't get paid" crowd isn't going to debate a player's ability to use a social media channel to generate revenue.
I was on a YouTube live last night and there were a ton of people saying that players shouldn't get paid. There reasoning was that it would ruin CFB.

Notice how the coaches who hand out the biggest (Dabo/Saban) have made which side they stand on this topic very clear. I lost respect for Dabo bc of the quote he gave the other day.

Cuckie has $2.17 riding on this game.

:rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg::rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg::rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg::rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg:
85037728-drawn-blue-question-marks-on-white-background-enquiry-concept.jpg

Dumb....

Advertisement
Long story short this kid was making a couple hundred off of YouTube videos a few years ago while kicking at UCF. The NCAA gave him a choice to either demonetize his videos, or be ruled ineligible to play. He chose to be ruled ineligible. Now he has 1.5 million subscribers and is making a couple thousand off of each video while playing in the CFL.

How can a regular student on an academic scholarship make money off of YouTube but a student-athlete can't? I don't see how that's still a rule in 2019. There are plenty of regular kids in college doing YouTube. I've seen a few dropout bc they were pulling in so much money.

I challenge someone to give a valid argument as to why kids shouldn't be able to profit off of their likeness. Where are all the "it will ruin CFB" people at?

You asked for a valid argument so here it is. The issue is regulation. For the record I do think the system is broken and needs to change but if you look at pro sport structures for example the nfl there is a salary cap which is meant to even the playing field. Or the mlb which has no cap but makes the bigger market teams engage in revenue sharing or the luxury tax to try to level the playing field.

In college you can’t have a realistic salary cap and there are too many D1 schools to try revenue sharing. Next issue is with the type of sport. For example the starting QB at bama should be worth the same as an athlete at whatever the **** position in girls waterpolo? So how do you differentiate who is worth x?

Concerning this kid on YouTube, and his likeness he was a victim of the blanket rule. You brought up how a regular student in college can be on YouTube and make cash, but rules for athletes are different. Some random dude making videos likely does not have agents trying to sway him, if you allowed the kicker to do this what is stopping an agent using a “youtube“ loophole to funnel money to the kid?

Again I’m all for paying kids but allowing this to occur isn’t the solution.

Advertisement
Player commits to bag school.

Player is advised to start YouTube channel.

Fanatical redneck fans with bangs flood channel with views to get player paid.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back