OT: Who will USC hire as HC

CanadaCane

Freshman
Any guesses on who USC will hire as their new head coach, assuming Clay Helton gets canned?

I'm sure this could have somewhat of an impact on our OC hire, but who really knows?

I've heard Jack Del Rio's name come up a few times but I think that'd be a TERRIBLE hire. Dude is basically Jeff Fisher 2.0.

It'll be interesting if they go after Jeff Brohm.

My guess would be Ryan Day, OC @ Ohio St. I know it's been reported that he's the "coach in waiting" but who really knows how long he'd have to wait.

What do you guys think?

Advertisement
USC wants to compete nationally again...but right now, the maze is not for them.

They'll hire some "in-the-family" bozo and stink for a few more years.

OMG. I hope they don’t take Mark from us. Now that he has Miami recruiting connections again he is a lock for them. He already runs thier 60’s offense.

They should go after Matt Campbell or Babers. Toledo has started to go downhill since Campbell left and obviously Iowa State has improved a lot as an overall program. Babers would be interesting in the Pac-10 and has some history in that conference, too.

Brohm is interesting, too, but Louisville makes more sense for him.

Advertisement
USC, like us, has an incompetent Athletic Department, and is more concerned with academics than football despite a proud tradition.

Their search will be cheap and lazy. Might even end up with another NFL HC.

Advertisement
They should go after Matt Campbell or Babers. Toledo has started to go downhill since Campbell left and obviously Iowa State has improved a lot as an overall program. Babers would be interesting in the Pac-10 and has some history in that conference, too.

Brohm is interesting, too, but Louisville makes more sense for him.

Babers is a west coast guy.

Would be a home run for them in coaching AND recruiting.

USC, like us, has an incompetent Athletic Department, and is more concerned with academics than football despite a proud tradition.

Their search will be cheap and lazy. Might even end up with another NFL HC.

That's indeed the emphasis and the academic ratings have risen to heights not seen previously. But USC has also had a major recent scandal that caused the university president to be forced out. There is now an interim president and greater priorities than changing the head football coach. That situational aspect is understood to such degree that although there is frustration and disbelief on USC football forums, it is not nearly the volume that it would be under normal times.

I have to say that Cal game last night was a capper to a miserable evening. USC showed less pulse in that second half than Miami has at any point, and blowing the 14-0 lead was worse than anything the Canes have done this season.

It was homecoming but the stadium was sparse and many reports than fans remained on campus instead of heading across Exposition Boulevard to the Coliseum.

Helton was a joke hire to begin with, much worse than believing Richt could succeed big here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
USC wants to win big. Doesn’t know how. They lucked into Carroll, he was their third or fourth choice.

Then they hire Lynn Swann as AD.

Advertisement
Back