OT: Where do you rate Stanford HC David Shaw?

TemplarCane

A Real One
Premium
**** good coach. Harbaugh set him up but he's maintained well. Same basic philosophy, same consistency. Stanford's admission standards are higher than your average $EC team.

He views Stanford as his lifetime job. Shame.

Advertisement
I view him as a savior of college football viewing. Glorious team to watch. I make sure to tape their game immediately every week. Power based with creative wrinkles. They are the essence of run the ball often, pass the ball well. The volume of rushing plays set up dagger opportunities downfield.

Kevin Hogan is overrated. That offense hides many of his weaknesses, somewhat similar to Andrew Luck's lack of ideal accuracy not being obvious in college. That Stanford offense creates so many guys cruising into open spaces. They utilize the fullback and tight end instead of the lazy preoccupation with 4 and 5 wide sets.

Stanford has maintained if not increased the caliber of its offensive line under Shaw as opposed to Harbaugh. That has become their niche and it attracts elite recruits who are the foundation of the power football. When fans were asserting that Stanford would decline once Harbaugh left they were already comfortably ignorant of that dynamic, that Stanford was prioritizing offensive line and swiping away premier guys from USC and elsewhere. They recruit nationally and successfully at those positions and the coaching is superb. On the other side of the ball they have not been nearly as successful. The intensity level and smarts are there but invariably there are 2-3 outmatched athletes, guys who are abused by one or two top offenses every year. They also had a pathetic kicker in Jordan Williamson for several years, choking away several big games. He never would have made that kick tonight.

David Shaw is amazing. He knows how to beat good teams. He is a QB away from playing in the CFP.

I actually think the Pac 12 is better than the SEC. Stanford would roll in the SEC.

I read an article that looked at the record of coaches since 2007 vs teams that were ranked at the end of the year. I'll try and find it.

Anyway, 5 *check that* 6 coaches had winning records: *Spurrier*, Saban, Miles, Fisher, Helfrich, and Shaw. Shaw was something like 10-5 which is way better than anybody *but Saban* else on the list. It was impressive.

Shaw has been putting out solid teams year after year. He'd be amazing here, but I don't see him ever leaving Stanford for another college job.

Here's the article

Last edited:
Advertisement
David Shaw is amazing. He knows how to beat good teams. He is a QB away from playing in the CFP.

I actually think the Pac 12 is better than the SEC. Stanford would roll in the SEC.

Shaw is just consistent. Four PAC-12 Division titles in five seasons (three were ties). 2014 was his off year at 8-5, all losses to ranked teams in conference, with one blowout at Oregon. Otherwise four losses by 3, 3, 16 and 3 points.

He twice beat Chip Kelly when the Ducks were #1 or #2 ranked.

He has been upset a few times by unranked teams in the PAC-12. Opened 2015 with a loss at Northwestern, who turns out to be a pretty good team (10-2, ranked 17-20ish). He'd probably like that one back.

He is the poster child of the coach you'd like to see with an elite roster.

excellent plays the game like it was intended to be played. really enjoy watching stanford.

The offense Stanford runs is a joy to me. Dispelling the myth that you have to run gimmick offenses for under matched talent. I love an offense that can pick up 2 yards at anytime. I hate running from the shot gun predominantly. I love seeing TEs on the field and i love throwing the ball down the field. If i was a coach id implement every power run formation out there. Full house, power I ,Maryland, strong I, Weak I etc. When you finished playing my team you would be sore til wednesday.

Advertisement
Lol

This thread is hilarious!

I better not see any of y'all knocking Chip Kelly! Lol

The effusive praise being heaped on a guy who lost as many games his 1st 3 seasons as Chip lost in 4 seasons is comical. Because all I read in the Chip Kelly threads is that he's a failure on the big stage.

Well, how is the guy with a better winning percentage than Shaw a failure, or risk ... But Shaw is "a joy"?

And, for the record, I like Shaw. I think his teams are boring to watch, but he's a legit coach. Absolutely would be interested to see what he could do with a more talented roster.

Lol

The effusive praise being heaped on a guy who lost as many games his 1st 3 seasons as Chip lost in 4 seasons is comical. Because all I read in the Chip Kelly threads is that he's a failure on the big stage.

Well, how is the guy with a better winning percentage than Shaw a failure, or risk ... But Shaw is "a joy"?

And, for the record, I like Shaw. I think his teams are boring to watch, but he's a legit coach. Absolutely would be interested to see what he could do with a more talented roster.

And, for the record, I call myself as a Chip Kelly fan. He'd 'kill' at Miami, as the cliche goes. His NFL GM skills, such as they aren't, won't be needed in Coral Gables. His HC skills will do just fine.

And, for the record, Shaw beat Kelly twice, in consecutive seasons, when Kelly was ranked #1 and #2 .

Both outstanding coaches.

Miami should be so fortunate to hire a HC as talented.

Lol

And, for the record, I call myself as a Chip Kelly fan. He'd 'kill' at Miami, as the cliche goes. His NFL GM skills, such as they aren't, won't be needed in Coral Gables. His HC skills will do just fine.

And, for the record, Shaw beat Kelly twice, in consecutive seasons, when Kelly was ranked #1 and #2 .

Mariota was playing on 1 leg in one of those games. A loss is a loss. No debate.

But ... Wait for it ... "Context". Lol

Advertisement
Lol

Mariota was playing on 1 leg in one of those games. A loss is a loss. No debate.

But ... Wait for it ... "Context". Lol

No - but Kelly should be good enough to X&O around that or with his other QB recruits. He's a Gawd!

Gotcha.

his ability to recruit and develop talent there is excellent. He's winning with his own players now...not Harbaugh's.

Shaw is a great coach, but WHY DIDNT HE GO FOR 2 on his last TD?
He almost let ND steal that game

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back