OT: What the U means to me (kinda long)

I posted here a while back about my father having pretty severe dementia, while also battling cancer this year. It’s been a living nightmare. he’s only 62. He grew up in Miami, and he was there for their first championship in the OB and has been going to games ever since. Some of my greatest childhood memories were spent with him in the original OB. I grew up in the West End Zone, god I miss those days. Parking in the same little old ladies house right across the street from that baseball field on the west side in the middle of the ghetto, eating arepas and throwing the football. I still remember Willis McGahee catching that screen pass and running down the sideline in 02, then closing my eyes during that field goal and hearing the crowd roar once FSU missed wide left. I remember Devin Hester taking that kickoff back against UF and then Brock Berlin doing the gator chomp after coming back down 33-10. I remember going up to tally and watching Sean Taylor absolutely dominate FSU in the pouring rain. We were there for 48-0 as well, we stole some seats from the WEZ.. I could go on and on about the memories I had watching the canes with my father. It really is true. It’s a Cane thing and unless you’re a fan no one will ever understand. There’s something different about the U and our rabid, hostile, ****y fan base and I ******* love every bit of it.

I visited him the other day in memory care. He was wearing his canes shirt and same visor he’s worn the past 20 years. I told him Mario Cristobal is our new coach. I didn’t think he would react much because it’s hard to have conversations with him now and a lot of the time he doesn’t understand or can’t comprehend what I’m saying. But as soon as I said Cristobal was our new coach he smiled immediately. Literally as soon as I said it. First time I seen him smile like that in awhile and I knew he remembered him. He started asking me how he’s doing as a coach and showed him the press conference. And I’m ******* tearing up just thinking about the past memories in the OB with him, and the dark hole our program has been in the past 20 years, and now our future and how I’m not gonna get to watch Mario turn this program around with him. Our future is bright for the first time in a long time and It’s killing me we won’t be able to see their comeback together. Mario coming home means a lot more to the U than any other fan base could understand. It really is a family.

P.S. - my other favorite memory with my dad is being in Tallahassee and we’re beating up on FSU and some lady is sitting above us trying to talk **** and my dad gives her the bird and says “Suck my Orange and Green **** *****” lmfao that’s WEZ crew **** right there.

Anyways, had to vent.

Advertisement
My mother in law also has dementia and has had it since she was in her late 50’s. She’s in her 70’s now and it has gotten so much worse. To see your dad smile about Cristobal must have been so incredible. I’m not surprised that he remembered him, as my mother in law remembers stuff from way back much better than she remembers anything from the last few years. It’s like those memories are locked in.

Sorry that you have to deal with it, it’s by far the worst disease/health issue for any family to deal with IMO, but I’m glad you got to have that moment where you saw the “real him” back. Let’s hope Mario starts kicking *** immediately so you can have more moments like that soon!!!!!

Advertisement
Very moving story, brought me close to the waterworks. Thanks for sharing such a raw and human story. All the best to you and your father. Reminds me a bit of when the Cubs won the World Series, and all the stories of fans whose parents / grandparents followed loyally for years, suffering but hopeful, and didn't get to see the finish line. All the children / grandchildren of those fans had were the great memories along the way, and the hope that somewhere and somehow, their loved ones could feel what they were feeling when the team won the big one. I wish the same for you, fellow Canes fan.

Thanks for sharing that. That special bond between you and your dad will be there always, and I’m certain from your post that you are a better man for it. You and your dad sound like the type of “people, the people, the people” that Mario alluded to during his comments the other day. UM is unique.

Thank you guys for the kind words. I’m doing better. Still have bad days but there’s a special place in my heart for the Canes and Mario coming back and my dad remembering him really just hit me like a brick wall… in a good way. Reminded me of all the good times I spent with him and seeing my dad get excited like that again… it’s just what I needed.

Advertisement
My mother in law also has dementia and has had it since she was in her late 50’s. She’s in her 70’s now and it has gotten so much worse. To see your dad smile about Cristobal must have been so incredible. I’m not surprised that he remembered him, as my mother in law remembers stuff from way back much better than she remembers anything from the last few years. It’s like those memories are locked in.

Sorry that you have to deal with it, it’s by far the worst disease/health issue for any family to deal with IMO, but I’m glad you got to have that moment where you saw the “real him” back. Let’s hope Mario starts kicking *** immediately so you can have more moments like that soon!!!!!
It’s crazy how they can remember things like that from 20-30 years ago but can’t remember something that happened 5 mins before. It’s heartbreaking. Sorry to hear about your mother in law, wish the best for you and your wife. Dementia/Alzheimer’s is ******* cruel. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

Thank you guys for the kind words. I’m doing better. Still have bad days but there’s a special place in my heart for the Canes and Mario coming back and my dad remembering him really just hit me like a brick wall… in a good way. Reminded me of all the good times I spent with him and seeing my dad get excited like that again… it’s just what I needed.
Maybe it's been done before - but a great thread with stories like yours would be awesome. Sharing stories we've made about the connections/rivalries with loved ones during the golden age of this program. I've got a few of my own about what this program means to me, and I see people talking about it across various threads. Don't want to hijack yours though.

On a brighter note the last game I’ll ever get to go with him was watching Miami stomp FSU 52-10. Granted there was only limited tickets, and the atmosphere sucked being only 10k fans or whatever. If that place was packed I think we would have hung 60 plus on them mfers.

I posted here a while back about my father having pretty severe dementia, while also battling cancer this year. It’s been a living nightmare. he’s only 62. He grew up in Miami, and he was there for their first championship in the OB and has been going to games ever since. Some of my greatest childhood memories were spent with him in the original OB. I grew up in the West End Zone, god I miss those days. Parking in the same little old ladies house right across the street from that baseball field on the west side in the middle of the ghetto, eating arepas and throwing the football. I still remember Willis McGahee catching that screen pass and running down the sideline in 02, then closing my eyes during that field goal and hearing the crowd roar once FSU missed wide left. I remember Devin Hester taking that kickoff back against UF and then Brock Berlin doing the gator chomp after coming back down 33-10. I remember going up to tally and watching Sean Taylor absolutely dominate FSU in the pouring rain. We were there for 48-0 as well, we stole some seats from the WEZ.. I could go on and on about the memories I had watching the canes with my father. It really is true. It’s a Cane thing and unless you’re a fan no one will ever understand. There’s something different about the U and our rabid, hostile, ****y fan base and I ******* love every bit of it.

I visited him the other day in memory care. He was wearing his canes shirt and same visor he’s worn the past 20 years. I told him Mario Cristobal is our new coach. I didn’t think he would react much because it’s hard to have conversations with him now and a lot of the time he doesn’t understand or can’t comprehend what I’m saying. But as soon as I said Cristobal was our new coach he smiled immediately. Literally as soon as I said it. First time I seen him smile like that in awhile and I knew he remembered him. He started asking me how he’s doing as a coach and showed him the press conference. And I’m ******* tearing up just thinking about the past memories in the OB with him, and the dark hole our program has been in the past 20 years, and now our future and how I’m not gonna get to watch Mario turn this program around with him. Our future is bright for the first time in a long time and It’s killing me we won’t be able to see their comeback together. Mario coming home means a lot more to the U than any other fan base could understand. It really is a family.

P.S. - my other favorite memory with my dad is being in Tallahassee and we’re beating up on FSU and some lady is sitting above us trying to talk **** and my dad gives her the bird and says “Suck my Orange and Green **** *****” lmfao that’s WEZ crew **** right there.

Anyways, had to vent.
May your family find comfort and grace in great memories during this Holiday Season.

Advertisement
Maybe it's been done before - but a great thread with stories like yours would be awesome. Sharing stories we've made about the connections/rivalries with loved ones during the golden age of this program. I've got a few of my own about what this program means to me, and I see people talking about it across various threads. Don't want to hijack yours though.
I’d love to hear man. I just wanted to share mine with y’all because I know you guys have similar stories. Mario coming back means a lot more than to us than being good at football again.

Anyways, had to vent.

Thanks for posting this. I will think good thoughts for your dad.

Advertisement
Thanks for sharing that. That special bond between you and your dad will be there always, and I’m certain from your post that you are a better man for it. You and your dad sound like the type of “people, the people, the people” that Mario alluded to during his comments the other day. UM is unique.
It definitely has. I took a lot of things for granted in life. My father blessed me with everything I could possibly ask for. He took me to 4 Super Bowls, both Marlins World Series, NBA finals, Stanley cup, and then some. Bought all my friends tickets to football games. Then this happened and my whole world came crashing down. He coached all my little league games, all my friends loved him (probably liked him more than me lol). Never asked for help. Now it’s my turn to take care of him. He’s still a stubborn Mfer though. I visited him earlier today and he’s still asking me if there’s anything I need he will do it for me. I pray to be half the man he is. Hardest worker I ever met, and everything he’s worked for was all for me….

Sorry to hear about your father. What great times you have had with him. These are no doubt sad times but you have all these great memories with him you will cherish forever.

Where do you watch the away games in Tampa?

Advertisement
Back