OT: What symbolizes the American identity the best?

What character best symbolizes the American identity?

• Patriot

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Cowboy

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
Kinda surprised Pioneer is winning. Thanks to those who took the time to answer intelligently.

Advertisement
Pioneer as in Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Henry Ford, Tesla, etc.?

Then yes, I can see that as our nation's core symbol. Of course, to the rest of the world, they see us as either an imperial soldier or a cowboy (the American myth).

Just out of curiosity, I did on search on Google Japan. I came across a few Samurai vs. Cowboy threads. But I think most Japanese here are influenced by the old movies. If I told them "paioniah" (pioneer), they would have no idea what I'm talking about at first. But I guess you couldn't get more American than the American Pioneer.

1 lds pioneers entering our cache valley home original oil painting by jeremy winborg .jpg

Kiri,
To me, when I think of Japan, I think of Japanese people. That's all there are in Japan. Very monochromatic culture and people. Did you get that vibe when you first started finding your way around town?

Kiri,
To me, when I think of Japan, I think of Japanese people. That's all there are in Japan. Very monochromatic culture and people. Did you get that vibe when you first started finding your way around town?

Yes. Although there are many foreign things in their culture, it is molded to fit them. I've lived here for 23 years, but I will always be a gaijin, outsider, foreigner no matter how good I become in the language or fit in with their customs. They are very very hospitable on the outside, but you can sense many of them don't quite trust foreign things/people and keep it at arms length. Then there are people like my wife's family. Sometimes I wonder if they have noticed I'm an American. Just like anywhere you go, you get all kinds.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Asked a few teachers yesterday and most of them said cowboy. Thanks to the westerns from the 60s and earlier, this is the image that Japanese have of Americans. Patriot or Pioneer would be a better symbol for Americans for the ideals they had but it's hard to fight a public image once it's established.

9df6_1_b.jpg

When I studied abroad to Australia back in 2005 an Aussie student asked us where we were from in the States. We said "Georgia". He asked, "Oh. Like where the KKK is from, right?"

When I studied abroad to Australia back in 2005 an Aussie student asked us where we were from in the States. We said "Georgia". He asked, "Oh. Like where the KKK is from, right?"

LOL

When I first got to Japan, I once went into a barber to have my hair cut but the barber refused me because according to him, "All Americans have AIDS". That's the only time that happened but it's out there.

Oh and the guy's shop was named "Frontir". I didn't bother to tell him his shop was misspelled. I drove by the place a couple years later and it was closed. LOL

Advertisement
Back