OT: What makes a rival?

Mcanes305

Recruit
Off season .......saw this poll result done with uf fans on who they consider rivals and we are clear and away 5th. im not insinuating disrespect or anything, moreso wondering what makes a rival? I think we all agree FSU is hands down our #1 rival but i believe more people hate Notre Dame and uf. We play va tech, UNC, Pitt and Duke every year but i dont have nearly the same hate for them (even after their bs taunting from a few years ago). On Wikipedia, it lists FSU, UF, Va Tech and Nebraska but i think the following list is closer
  1. fsu
  2. uf
  3. notre dame
  4. va tech

As far as hate
  1. uf
  2. ohio state
  3. uva (Cant get over the last OB game)
  4. Notre Dame
  5. fsu

Clemson and LSU there's a respectable hate. LSU after the 05 peach bowl which was really just an eye opener of what we really were and where we were headed so cant really hate too much and Clemson on the Golden bye-bye game, so cant hate to much on that either.

Advertisement
History and geography. Mostly history.

As for why UF has 4 more hated rivals, look at their history. They have been shut out of conference and national championships by others on their schedule since removing us 30 years ago. Not hard to see why.

Miami has a hatred of FSU because of consistent history, geography AND costing each other National Title appearances.

ND also was a storied program when we regularly played during our rivalry. There is much history.

CFB rivalries are split in 3 ways.

1) Competitiveness
- If your "rivals" can't beat you even in your worse state are they really rivals?

2) Recruiting
- chances are your most bitter rivals are in close proximity fighting for the same kids your fighting for.

3) History
- Because rival sometimes are discontinued from being a annually game (UF-MIA, Pitt-Penn St, Texas-TA&M) history is all you can look to sometimes.

As for me, I hate any and everyone that's in our way from being "The U" again. UF and FSU because they are always going to be our biggest threat on the field and in recruiting. The coastal because they refuse to act like the basketball schools they are. It's embarrassing having the history we have then losing to basketball school Duke or Virginia. I also hate OOS schools who come down here like it's Walgreen's and pluck whoever the **** they want from us or SFL (cough SEC schools, Ohio State, etc).

Last edited:
For me it's,

1. UF
2. FSU
3. Notre Lame
4. Va Tech
5. UNC

I have a visceral hatred for UF, I hate them mf'ers with a passion, more than I hate FSU or ND.

I can't stand UF, everything about them makes me fckin sick. Their delusional ****** fans, their racist *** boosters, their ****y arrogant players & their dumbass goober coaches, even that giant **** trough they call a stadium in Ben Hill Griffin.

I hate UF even though we don't play them as often as we do FSU, mainly because they swear their such a great program but they're the most overrated fraud program in college football (tied with Notre Lame).

Everything about UF is garbage, nothing but pure unadulterated basura! I hate them so much I actually want FSU to win when they play each other & I fckin hate FSU. But nothing compares to my hate for UF.

What's worse, UF or Cancer? That's a trick question because UF IS cancer! F*CK THE FLODA GAYTAS!

Advertisement
I know they’re not a rival but I just realized we’re playing Louisville, we owe that second rate hillbilly school a severe beat down. Manny better RUTS on those clowns

Last edited:
The number one rival for UM is officiating. Dorsey's fumble vs Washington? The goal line fumble vs ND? Late, late, late flag vs OSU? There are three Ships right there! The Washington fumble and Fiesta Bungle cost us 3 in a row.

Last edited:
History and geography. Mostly history.

... as well as frequency of playing. Hard to consider someone a true *rival* when you're not playing annually, or at least a many times per decade.

Florida is Miami's oldest rival—first meeting in 1938. Have the history and geography thing going there, but not the frequent matchups—which is how Florida State pretty much slid into that "main rival" spot for the Canes; a rivalry that started in 1957—the teams playing 63 times over 67 years.

Florida and Miami have only met six times (over 32 years) since the series ended in 1987. The Gators got to avoid the Canes between 1988 and 1992 when UM was on top of the world, winning two titles and playing for three—though UM would have to admit it got a break not having to face Florida between 1995-1997, when Miami was on probation and UF won its first title under Spurrier (1996) and was a Top 5 program. (FSU and UF were pretty equal back then and the Noles took it to UM five straight between 1995-1999.)

Florida is still a "rival", due to proximity and history—but Florida State remains the main modern-day rival. Virginia Tech also should be considered a rival at this point, as the history goes back almost three decades now, scrapping it out in the Big East before both moving to the ACC's Coastal—VT becoming a contender in that era, beating UM five in a row and competing at a high level.

Notre Dame is hated ... and there were some great battles over the years ... but based on the inconsistent match-ups; them also ducking out on the series after 1990—the are not a "rival".

For me the bigger the threat the bigger the rival, if we played UF yearly I have little doubt we'd be their top rival.

Advertisement
I agree with most above..UF & FSU above all

But, but the way I see things Clenson will become the future rival. They will be there wasting for us every year.

They will be our measure to greatness and our rival yo get there

Off season .......saw this poll result done with uf fans on who they consider rivals and we are clear and away 5th. im not insinuating disrespect or anything, moreso wondering what makes a rival?

Go tell uf to schedule MIAMI, and let's see who REALLY runs florida...(instant rivalry)

... as well as frequency of playing. Hard to consider someone a true *rival* when you're not playing annually, or at least a many times per decade.

Florida is Miami's oldest rival—first meeting in 1938. Have the history and geography thing going there, but not the frequent matchups—which is how Florida State pretty much slid into that "main rival" spot for the Canes; a rivalry that started in 1957—the teams playing 63 times over 67 years.

Florida and Miami have only met six times (over 32 years) since the series ended in 1987. The Gators got to avoid the Canes between 1988 and 1992 when UM was on top of the world, winning two titles and playing for three—though UM would have to admit it got a break not having to face Florida between 1995-1997, when Miami was on probation and UF won its first title under Spurrier (1996) and was a Top 5 program. (FSU and UF were pretty equal back then and the Noles took it to UM five straight between 1995-1999.)

Florida is still a "rival", due to proximity and history—but Florida State remains the main modern-day rival. Virginia Tech also should be considered a rival at this point, as the history goes back almost three decades now, scrapping it out in the Big East before both moving to the ACC's Coastal—VT becoming a contender in that era, beating UM five in a row and competing at a high level.

Notre Dame is hated ... and there were some great battles over the years ... but based on the inconsistent match-ups; them also ducking out on the series after 1990—the are not a "rival".

Yes. It's still related. The lack of frequency also means a lack of recent history. A good 30 years removed from annual matchups will do that.

Advertisement
For me it's

1. FSU
2. UF
3. Ohio State (but well behind the top 2)
4. Notre Dame
5. Nebraska

Also have to consider if a rivalry is solely a football rivalry or if it extends to other things like other sports and the schools in general. Typically those things all go together and football creates a lot of rivalries on it's own. It will add to the intensity of a rival, but only using football as the gauge doesn't always tell the whole story.

Take for instance ND and VT. I consider ND much more of a rival for us as a school even though we play VT every year in football. Sure VT is a great yearly battle in football and is important game for both schools in ACC play but the other 364 days of the year we really don't care too much about the other. Some dislike but mostly just disinterest. Whereas us and ND pretty much represent opposite things for everything in life from football to lifestyle. I was actually chilling with a ND piece for a little bit a few months ago and she said how the 17 game was one of the worst nights of her life (LOL loved hearing that) and in a school/alumni poll a few years ago where they voted on the best wins at ND stadium EVER their wins over us in 88 and 90 were #1 and #3. Their 93 win over FSU was #2 they just hate the whole state with a passion apparently.

Then take UF. We don't play in football often anymore but there is sooo much history and being an in state school, will always always be a rival. Especially when considering it extends to all other sports and there's an academic rivalry with them as well. And when we do play it pretty much blows away the intensity of every other team we play except FSU and maybe ND, or either tbh. ******* hate UF!!!

There's always many factors that go into what makes a rivalry important or not and each rivalry is a little bit different. And like anything can go through highs and lows and down periods. For me, taking into account everything, football, history, hatred, geography etc probably goes FSU, UF, ND........VT, OSU, Neb

Last edited:
Advertisement
Y’all need to stop this ****! Miami’s rival is College Football. Miami, in my mind, is STILL an independent (**** the ACC!). Miami made college football fear The U. College ******* Football! Closest thing to a rival is FSU.

1. If you don’t play every year, they’re not a rival. (@Liberty City El and @OriginalGatorHater UF = Auburn to me. Orange…blue…they might even be Virginia.)
2. If you’re not their chief rival, you’re not a rival. (When did Miami start playing second fiddle?)
3. If the team is from Indiana, they’re not a rival. (Miami should tell the ACC to remove them from the schedule)

You can hate teams all you want (and there is only one team I hate) but that don’t make them a rival. Miami has no rivals and that’s the way it is.

I agree with you. I don't consider UF our rival. I just hate them lol. I especially hate them when they are good and start stealing recruits from our backyard, but I don't really consider them a rival.

I don't know about "Rival"....But these F-ing Morons sure aren't.....Rivalry My ***....

Advertisement
Back