OT - What lurks in Lake Osceola?

Advertisement
How can you tell the difference between a gator and a crocodile? ...(Ducking my head)

Advertisement
There were definitely barracuda in the lake in the late 60s as I saw them. Definitely barracuda about 3 feet long. Also have seen alligators back then. However the most dangerous animals that haunted that lake were the geese. Crap all over everything then take a run at you screaming and trying to bite. Mean ****ers. I recall one time one of them came charging at me head down neck outstretched trying to bite and I wound up kicking it *** over tailfeathers into the lake. That particular goose never bothered me again.

Those geese were fu*kin savages. When they start waggin their tails at you, run.

Tarpon can live anywhere.... caught many out of interstate retention ponds. Caught a few 20+ lbers out of ditches that werent even 2ft deep too. Very resilient fish.

In the 1990s the Lauderdale Paper had a story about a tarpon found in a swimming pool in an abandoned house. I live on the Peace River west coast. I'm in a tidal area, but its brackish on the ebb. We get Bull Sharks galore, tarpon, gators, snook, red fish 10 miles above where I live. Here's a 12-foot gator - the FWC about 8 months ago killed an 11-footer (600lbs) in a canal because it went after a guy cleaning the weeds near his bank.

In the 1990s the Lauderdale Paper had a story about a tarpon found in a swimming pool in an abandoned house. I live on the Peace River west coast. I'm in a tidal area, but its brackish on the ebb. We get Bull Sharks galore, tarpon, gators, snook, red fish 10 miles above where I live. Here's a 12-foot gator - the FWC about 8 months ago killed an 11-footer (600lbs) in a canal because it went after a guy cleaning the weeds near his bank.View attachment 81783

What did you do with the carcass?

That’s got to be worth thousands of dollars at full retail just in belts and shoes alone.

Ocassionally a pet Zebra from the neighborhood gets lost and wanders by the lake, has some bad luck crossing the path of one of the lake's crocodiles.

Advertisement
Ocassionally a pet Zebra from the neighborhood gets lost and wanders by the lake, has some bad luck crossing the path of one of the lake's crocodiles.

View attachment 81820
You joke, but in my rural PBC neighborhood I've seen a man riding a zebra. We have alligators, but no crocs this far north.

I guess if your into fat,inbred & meth breath...

sometimes there're things you like to do or have done that you don't want your respectable GF/lady/wife/mother of your children to do, that's where a polk county princess or swamp rabbit depending on your flavor comes in handy almost anything is in their repertoire of delights.

As for Meth breath, from your post I can tell your not a discerning connoisseur at selecting swamp rabbits, the ones I posted are clean they have all their gold teeth ( think of them as having a golden goblet to accept your royal juices).

But always be respectful, because a polk county a princess will just as easily give you plomo instead of pleasure.

Go Canes

Last edited:
I was there from '90-'94 (Marine Science/Biology major). I remember the manatee. Watched the stranding response team come and take it out of the lake to take it to more suitable habitat. I remember seeing a variety of fishes that can tolerate brackish water, from more freshwater-type species such as cichlids, to occasionally seeing sergeant majors and other small saltwater reef fish. The ducks with the ugly red faces and bad attitudes are muscovy ducks. They are a transplant from South America that have become established all over Florida.
False.
Those ducks are mutant offspring of ducks affected by radiation exposure from nuclear testing in the everglades in the '50's.

Advertisement
You joke, but in my rural PBC neighborhood I've seen a man riding a zebra. We have alligators, but no crocs this far north.
Not joking, dude!

You probably missed the wildebeest migrations.

Usually happens during spring break or summer school so most people never see it.

Advertisement
Back