OT - UVA 27 ACC Calibre players.

I thought Mendenhall would have made them somewhat competitive but looks like the wheels are going to fall off this season.

UVA needs to go the route of Syracuse and hire a coach with a fun offense that local kids will want to play in if they don’t get a major offer. You can win at a somewhat reasonable level at UVA.

Advertisement
I’m impressed at your knowledge of Cavalier football.

I vaguely remember them having a blip, I guess it was around the Barbers era, but that’s about it.

Didn’t they have some other relatively well known or respected coach?

They had Al Groh. They've been somewhat respectable since Welsh got there in the 80s until today. It's not like they're Duke before Cutcliffe arrived. They've been to 20 bowls in 35 years. And, no, I don't have a wealth of knowledge of UVA I football, I looked the specific stats up.

No they aren't. We should be the brake off them, but then again, rOsIeR or Diaz might keep them in the game.

Boston College is undoubtedly the trap game. On the road, in late Oct (so who knows what the weather will be like up there) and it against a physical defensive minded team with a punishing running game. I think their RB ran for almost 1500 yds last year.
This game is the only game I have circled. A veteran will come and handle business. I hope the vets step up!

Advertisement
He’s definitely planting an excuse flag.

If they don’t win, it’s because he doesn’t have enough talent.

If they do win, it’s because his staff’s coaching and development helped them overachieve.

It’s the Lebron James approach to coaching.

Lose ... No help, not enough talent on the roster.

Win ... All due to the leader of the team carrying (or developing) the talent.

If they do win, it’s because his staff’s coaching and development helped them overachieve.

Exactly.

The guy took a giant **** on two thirds of the roster throwing then under the bus like a m'fer. I'm actually surprised this isn't a bigger story than it is.

They had Al Groh. They've been somewhat respectable since Welsh got there in the 80s until today. It's not like they're Duke before Cutcliffe arrived. They've been to 20 bowls in 35 years. And, no, I don't have a wealth of knowledge of UVA I football, I looked the specific stats up.

Al Groh. That’s it! How could I have forgotten. Golden’s pimp daddy.

I must be getting early onset dementia. Or the trauma of the Golden years has caused my consciousness to repress all memory engrams and associations related to the sweaty one.

Advertisement

He said they are up into the 40's after the 2018 class arrives. I had to go look at that class and I thought too myself lots of 3s and some 2s. 2018 class finished ranked 69 on rivals. 2017 ranked 57... I

He needs to recruit his *** off and be more competitive in the state of Virginia. Problem is he's up against better programs and, so it appears, coaches wth a little more charisma. He seems stiff and his analysis paints the picture of a man who may not come across well when compared to the better ACC coaches, but what I can't understand is how this won't reflect poorly on him.

By his metrics half the roster should be ACC caliber if 15 ACC caliber players per season are expected moving forward. I would have asked about the 40-45 players he should have on his own in addition to whatever seniors he inherited from London. He could have commented on the level of talent without the detail but I suppose he's making a case to keep his job long enough to show what he can do.

He doesn't seem long for Virginia or the ACC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’m impressed at your knowledge of Cavalier football.

I vaguely remember them having a blip, I guess it was around the Barbers era, but that’s about it.

Didn’t they have some other relatively well known or respected coach?

Yes, they did. This guy was their DC from 2001-2005.

-3ef5752e69bf031c.jpg

I still don’t understand how Quin Blanding went undrafted
They had to find out that he was running drugs from Laredo or something. Kid to me was at worse a 4th-5th rounder..i drafted him in the wez mock draft. The only thing I can think of is there may be a health scare or something.

Advertisement
Back