OT: USF On-Campus Stadium Proposal

I attended UCF during the Culpepper years and I can assure you, the Citrus Bowl was mostly empty for a majority of those games. They never even opened the upper level for UCF games. The on campus stadium was a huge boost for them. It's easier to fill a 40k seat, on campus stadium than a 70k seat stadium 40 minutes away from campus. This makes sense for USF too.

Side note: I got kicked out of the Citrus Bowl for fighting Hokies.

Last edited:
Advertisement
this somehow will turn into a 40 page thread on how we dont have a stadium on campus

that's because 75% of the board members are not alumni.

i'd wager that only about half of the board members actually have been on campus.

miami has a unique fanbase in that sense.

tbh they cant even fill 1/4 of raymond james now. how would an on campus stadium help them?

You can say the same thing for us if you remove the attendance last year.

Also, it because for Students it becomes this:

(Far Away Stadium)
Person 1: "Hey, wanna go to the USF game?"
Person 2: "Erm, I would but I don't feel like waiting on the bus ride to the game. The stadium is to **** far."
Person 1: "Okay."

(On Campus Stadium)
Person 2: "Sure, Why not. I was bored anyways"
Person 1: "Ill go find tickets"

There is a huge difference between walking and arriving somewhere within minutes to taking a long bus ride there...

Yes, and no. When I was at Tulane my freshman and sophomore years they went 19-4 and my sophomore year they were 12-0 under Tommy Bowden. Played in the Superdome which is 15 minutes from campus. You had to drive yourself or take a bus. Those first two years the student sections were packed 5-6,000 every game. Bowden left for Clemson, and in '99 Tulane was 3-8. The student section was empty. In 2014 Tulane opened an on campus stadium. The first two years the student section was packed. Last year the novelty had worn off and they were 4-8 and was pretty empty. Now, I will grant you that it was more full than it would have been at the Dome because kids could stumble over drunk or wake up and go in their pajamas, but it was still pretty empty because the team sucked and it wasn't "cool" anymore.

Doesn't a rectangular stadium make more sense? Why curve the sides and make the seats even farther from the field? Plus what's that dead space at field level supposed to be for? Good for them for having the space/neighborhood to potentially get this done, but that seems like a real bad design.

I'm guessing they're trying to angle the seats toward the middle of the field. Bad idea

Advertisement
tbh they cant even fill 1/4 of raymond james now. how would an on campus stadium help them?

You can say the same thing for us if you remove the attendance last year.

Also, it because for Students it becomes this:

(Far Away Stadium)
Person 2: "Erm, I would but I don't feel like waiting on the bus ride to the game. The stadium is to **** far."
Person 1: "Okay."

(On Campus Stadium)
Person 2: "Sure, Why not. I was bored anyways"
Person 1: "Ill go find tickets"

There is a huge difference between walking and arriving somewhere within minutes to taking a long bus ride there...

Agree, Columbia is the only school in its conference without an on campus stadium (~35 minute subway ride) and we had the worst attendance of everyone in the conference.

I want to know why Miami alums use the students as the reason to want an on campus stadium? Most non tri-county UM students are indifferent to athletics. Hard rock is fine. In Miami's case, students don't make the atmosphere

They have pleeeeennnnnty of room for a stadium. Having graduated from there. C or D makes the most sense. I don't even think they have an IPF.

So did I. I like A because it gives the program more visual exposure at the Fowler/BBD intersection or D because it's right out front on Fowler and across fron the Sun Dome and ample parking. C is too hidden, traffic and parking would be terrible.

Why is this an issue to some of you? Last time I read an analysis of the upcoming recruiting seasons Miami has a projected spot at or near the top. USF, UCF, FIU, and FAU are nowhere close.

USF, UCF, FIU, and FAU are not going to out-recruit The U.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back