OT: Under Armour drops UCLA, shares up 8% today.

Advertisement
Up 8% today?

9980E122-E3A5-4CBA-AB11-C5165B181FFC.jpeg

I guess I missed out on that

Advertisement
Before anybody calls me a racist, here’s how Dam Son ended up.

Dam Son is a ... theoretical physicist working in quantum chromodynamics, applications of string theory and many-body physics at the University of Chicago. A highly respected scientist in this field.

He’s only about 1000 times smarter than I am. **** of a story. Dude becomes a nationwide meme, turns into one of the most respected physicists in the country. Only in America.

Advertisement
Wondering if there’s a performance clause truly in their contractural obligation. If so, UCLA is going to be in for a fight, which will ultimately end up settling out of court for a pro-rated amount which will save UA a ton.

isn't UA in financial trouble. they're doing the same with Cal I think and backed out of their MLB deal

How does UCLA UA contract compare to Adidas UM? Is ours performance-based or guaranteed $ to the U regardless of **** product? I asked after the FIU fiasco which I attended if we can use Adidas to leverage the situation. If not, this legal battle could actually really help us. Let's say they go full war through trial and appeal over years and then UA wins, based on UCLA not performing its obligations because the trustees took the sponsorship money and settled for mediocrity by not committing to excellence (sound familiar?). If that happens, a legal precedent is set and UM trustees have to do a different analysis when they choose to **** the program year after year and coast by on TV $ and Adidas $.

How does UCLA UA contract compare to Adidas UM? Is ours performance-based or guaranteed $ to the U regardless of **** product? I asked after the FIU fiasco which I attended if we can use Adidas to leverage the situation. If not, this legal battle could actually really help us. Let's say they go full war through trial and appeal over years and then UA wins, based on UCLA not performing its obligations because the trustees took the sponsorship money and settled for mediocrity by not committing to excellence (sound familiar?). If that happens, a legal precedent is set and UM trustees have to do a different analysis when they choose to **** the program year after year and coast by on TV $ and Adidas $.
No FBS team is going to have any type of performance clause in their apparel contract. The only thing poor on field performance would do is give UA more leverage during the next contract negotiations

Advertisement
Advertisement
Because with Notre Dame Under Armour gets a generally competitive football team that has recently made the CFP and has a huge following UCLA football recently has been a disaster on the field and for fan interest

Because with Notre Dame Under Armour gets a generally competitive football team that has recently made the CFP and has a huge following UCLA football recently has been a disaster on the field and for fan interest
But UCLA has been bad for a long time. Way before they signed the UA deal. I assume UA thought that UCLA was going to improve but the facts of the matter are they placed their money on a losing horse hoping it would pay off as a long-shot bet. Now it's not paying off and they want the money they wagered back? That's not how it works.

But UCLA has been bad for a long time. Way before they signed the UA deal. I assume UA thought that UCLA was going to improve but the facts of the matter are they placed their money on a losing horse hoping it would pay off as a long-shot bet. Now it's not paying off and they want the money they wagered back? That's not how it works.

This was my point from the beginning.

Why give UCLA such a large contract? On-field success? No. Are people across the country wearing UCLA gear? No. Is UCLA a top TV draw in markets outside of southern California? No.

Literally, the contract made no objective sense at all, outside of UA's desperation to sign a school that won 10 basketball championships 40-50 years earlier.

Advertisement
Back