OT: The Pussification of High School Football

I guarantee this has less to do with "safety" concerns and more to do with whining about Catholic/private schools being able to recruit.

Advertisement
Ok, I live right by this school in washington. Don't believe this BS about them being so bad *** and all the comp scared to play them...

Yes some of the schools in question have a valid safety concern, as they are very small schools, one team with only 17 players on their varsity... This school does not have more than a couple 300lb kids... This is basically a revolt by the league refusing to play this program because they dont belong in the lower league. It s like playing poker vs someone and you get a standard deck and they get a deck with 10 aces and 8 kings in it..... Its just stupid....

They have a like 2 or 3 potential D1 recruits...but nothing close to like what you would see in FL or even here in washington at a higher ranked school. They are not even close to being the top Private school in the state....

Apparently they have applied to opt up in classification but Ive been told they were denied....now I dont know if that is true or not as I have not seen that reported anywhere...I know some higher ranked schools in the wesco division do not want them in the league as they are ****ed that ABM has a few of their star players from their community.. But like I said, think this is a conspiracy from lower tier public programs blackballing a program that does not belong in their league in the 1st place....

...Its not reduced tuition to football players. Its just calling it something else because you cant call it athletic scholarships

Totally understand that perception...it just isn't the reality some believe in...

I'm not a Columbus almuni, so I can't speak to what goes on down that way...

As with Columbous though, there are all kind of perceptions of what goes on at STA...

There are no short order chefs for lunch, not EVERYONE drives a corvette, or porsche, or ferrari, not everyone's parents live in Rio Vista, etc...

I think those outside the STA (or other similar schools like them) bubble have a few misconceptions.

- STA has had a focus on athletic excellence for decades...long before M Irvin in the mid 80s
- STA does not bus in students from 50 miles away...not even close...have there been a few from south PB/north Dade yes..but not near what people think
- Enablers to STA "recruiting" are two-fold...1) the D1P5 and NFL placement of alumni is without peer...and 2) they are as much, or more, and academic powerhouse as much as athletics...it could be argued STA is one of..if not THE top prep school in FL..and quite possibly the southeast
- STA is the recepient of well-heeled donors...not surprising considering a majority of the "top 1%" economically in Broward send their kids to STA (AH, Pinecrest, Gibbons, as well to.be sure)
- The athletes dont have a special nutrition program outside other students (like in D1P5)...they do probably have the best S&C program though in SoFl
- How many NFLrs coach at other programs? That doesnt make u a great coach, but it does add "cachet"

Anyways, STA has had supporters and haters for decades...some truth behind the rumors...but more so perception doesnt match reality...

I'm not the biggest STA fan but I will admit that most of what you say is correct. And up until Harriott got their the program basically recruited itself. (although I did see George Smith at my optimist team's end-of-the-season picnic, trying to recruit my boy) But for the most part, parents WANT to send their kids there, and I don't really blame them. Most programs down here are in shambles.

Oh, and the best high school S&C coach in South FLA is Jeremy Herring. Even STA players go to him during the off season. Power Sports Academy!!!

Ok, I live right by this school in washington. Don't believe this BS about them being so bad *** and all the comp scared to play them...

Yes some of the schools in question have a valid safety concern, as they are very small schools, one team with only 17 players on their varsity... This school does not have more than a couple 300lb kids... This is basically a revolt by the league refusing to play this program because they dont belong in the lower league. It s like playing poker vs someone and you get a standard deck and they get a deck with 10 aces and 8 kings in it..... Its just stupid....

They have a like 2 or 3 potential D1 recruits...but nothing close to like what you would see in FL or even here in washington at a higher ranked school. They are not even close to being the top Private school in the state....

Apparently they have applied to opt up in classification but Ive been told they were denied....now I dont know if that is true or not as I have not seen that reported anywhere...I know some higher ranked schools in the wesco division do not want them in the league as they are ****ed that ABM has a few of their star players from their community.. But like I said, think this is a conspiracy from lower tier public programs blackballing a program that does not belong in their league in the 1st place....
Yep, this is precisely what I suspected.

Advertisement
How is this any different than Cooper City, West Broward (or in some cases, Western) playing against teams like STA, Miramar, Central, whoever?

I've been a apart of many teams who were severely undersized. Both starting Inside Linebackers were 5'7"-5'8". Corners that were 5'6"-5'7". Offensive Linemen that were 5'10"-5'11". Defensive Linemen that were 5'10"-6'0". Shoot, I had a NT that was 5'6" and a DE that was 5'7".

We showed up, got our a$$es kicked, went home and got tougher.

These people concerned about a bunch of big, slow, plodding ogres. I'd be more worried if my son was playing against Booker T Washington and their team of explosive 185lb missiles. That's way more dangerous IMO.

...I'm not the biggest STA fan but I will admit that most of what you say is correct...But for the most part, parents WANT to send their kids there, and I don't really blame them. Most programs down here are in shambles.

Oh, and the best high school S&C coach in South FLA is Jeremy Herring. Even STA players go to him during the off season. Power Sports Academy!!!

Brother CM...

Always appreciate your posts...level headed...even towards Piccollo...

You brought up a great point a few weeks back...the recruiting is ruthless...

"homegrown" STA talent will get replaced in a heartbeat by a better Jr/Sr transfer from another school...and believe me...causes quite the internal riffs...

Remember Sterling Palmer? Awesome player...wasn't exactly welcomed the first few weeks until he started getting sacks against Dillard, Stranahan, and MacArthur (big rivals during that era...i know very different today)...same for S Watkins and T Sands (isnt he S Bruce's uncle/cousin??)

Trust me...even if you have a rich daddy...a transfer comes in who is better, you sit your *** in your corvette watching the game like everyone else...

At first I thought it was some pvssy ****. But after I read the story, I changed my mind. Unlike college, private schools have the advantage over public high schools. The private school can send buses up to 50 miles away to pick up kids bigger and more athletic than the public schools kids they're playing against. They can recruit while the public school can't. The private schools can also feed them much better than the public schools and provide a better education. A lot of these players come from underserved communities and their parents will jump on an opportunity like that in a heart beat.

It doesn't happen here in south Florida so much because there are so many good players that the public schools can manage to stay competitive. But look at St Thomas Aquinas, you can't tell me they don't have an advantage over most public schools in south Florida.

lol you sound like a ******, nobody is scared of STA in South FL. I wish that Washington private school would come down here and play MC,BTW , AH, STA., MNW

Ok internet tough guy. You either can't read or are to lazy to read. I was using STA as an example. Didn't say anything about anyone being scared of them. Just said they had an advantage recruiting player. All private schools do, including the one in Washington state.

Advertisement
Back