OT: That Time Urban Punked Mark Richt

Urban retired making 8 million a year from a top 5 team With 100k in the stands. He didn’t do that to come here. Stop being an idiot

He's coming back to football next year. Only question is where and who is going to pay him. Leading team was USC, but Helton might win Pac12 South and keep his job. Which other top programs are going to be in the market for a new HC? If Miami was ever going to make a move, this would be the time. Weird how so many of our so called "fans" have decided that Miami is an undesirable mid-tier program. I think with a new admin, investments in the program, and Urban Meyer, Miami would win multiple national championships. Assuming a school like USC offered 10 million, California taxes around 21% (12.3% up to 1 mil, then additional 1% for every mil after). 8 mil in Miami is more than 10 mil in California.

Btw- he made 7.6 million at Ohio State. Currently making 100k as assistant AD.

Advertisement
LOL it's everyone's argument because we're cheap. You offer him enough money and he'll take it. He's an elite recruiter and would be in best talent rich area in the country

All but a handful of schools couldn't afford Urban.

The amount of money it would take to get rid of Manny at this point combined with what it would cost to get Urban here would be in the 75 million dollar range at a bare minimum.

This program barely breaks even in the overall athletic budget. Yes, we have boosters that could put that kind of money together, but they won't.

Who are you to call them cheap? That would be a lot of money for anyone to put up so they could say they brought this program back.

All but a handful of schools couldn't afford Urban.

The amount of money it would take to get rid of Manny at this point combined with what it would cost to get Urban here would be in the 75 million dollar range at a bare minimum.

This program barely breaks even in the overall athletic budget. Yes, we have boosters that could put that kind of money together, but they won't.

Who are you to call them cheap? That would be a lot of money for anyone to put up so they could say they brought this program back.
What?! This school has hired absolutely lazy and cheap for almost 2 decades!! FFS we wouldn't have to be in a position to think about a buyout and paying possibly another if the dumbasses in charge didn't make the same definition of insanity hire, yet AGAIN.

What?! This school has hired absolutely lazy and cheap for almost 2 decades!! FFS we wouldn't have to be in a position to think about a buyout and paying possibly another if the dumbasses in charge didn't make the same definition of insanity hire, yet AGAIN.

What does that have to do with hiring Urban? It is an absolute pipe dream.

You say cheap, guess what, this is a cheap program by today's standards. Had Richt made us buy him out, we would have been crippled with what we could pay for a decade if some deep pocket boosters didn't step up to pay it.

We don't have excess cash to run much of anything more than what we've got. Better or worse, that's just the current state of the budget.

Advertisement
What does that have to do with hiring Urban? It is an absolute pipe dream.

You say cheap, guess what, this is a cheap program by today's standards. Had Richt made us buy him out, we would have been crippled with what we could pay for a decade if some deep pocket boosters didn't step up to pay it.

We don't have excess cash to run much of anything more than what we've got. Better or worse, that's just the current state of the budget.
Well then Miami is dead and that's not about Urban. I'm actually coming around to @Dwinstitles belief and it's sad.

LOL it's everyone's argument because we're cheap. You offer him enough money and he'll take it. He's an elite recruiter and would be in best talent rich area in the country

I guess every man has his price, but the idea that he cares about being in south Florida is stupid. Urban recruited whoever he wanted at OSU.

I guess every man has his price, but the idea that he cares about being in south Florida is stupid. Urban recruited whoever he wanted at OSU.
I'm not saying he cares, I'm saying that's an incentive because it's the most talented area in the country and he's an elite recruiter. We just aren't used to that, we haven't had one since Butch

Well then Miami is dead and that's not about Urban. I'm actually coming around to @Dwinstitles belief and it's sad.

Me, I would love Urban. Absolutely love having him as our coach. I just know enough to know it's not even a possibility. The only way it would ever happen is if some lunatic fan here won Powerball and just tossed the money in the coffers.

Advertisement
I'm not saying he cares, I'm saying that's an incentive because it's the most talented area in the country and he's an elite recruiter.

Meyer's winning percentage is higher at Ohio State then it was at Florida. He probably does view south Florida / Florida talent the same way most of our fans.

Would love to see Urb sign on with the NFL, though not happening. He'd get chewed up and exposed like the Old Ball Coach.

Advertisement
Im telling u man its probably over....it sucks to feel this way man i dont have any hope. Sometimes i find myself getting a tiny bit of what if and i read a negative post thats true and im back to hopeless. I snap myself out of it quick and take the O/G glasses off. I have to make sure im not bias because it happens sometimes

Super OT but look at LSU man if Ed O went to another school would they be able to land the kids they do? Sometimes i just believe what coaches can do else where (great classes) they cant do it here. Its a different age we arent a part of.
School has to have alot of money and want to win

Super OT but look at LSU man if Ed O went to another school would they be able to land the kids they do? Sometimes i just believe what coaches can do else where (great classes) they cant do it here. Its a different age we arent a part of.
School has to have alot of money and want to win

Don't get me wrong, there is an big advantage in south Florida. Most coaches would do better at a job like Miami, but Urban as an elite coach and has already proven that he can win in Ohio. Guys like Matt Campbell would benefit from coaching at Miami, not guys like Saban, Meyer, or Dabo.

Advertisement
Me, I would love Urban. Absolutely love having him as our coach. I just know enough to know it's not even a possibility. The only way it would ever happen is if some lunatic fan here won Powerball and just tossed the money in the coffers.

We have multibillionaire benefactors in the Soffers. Not a lot of schools can claim the same. I think they would put up the initial money to sign Urban. I GUARANTEE if Meyer was signed donations would come rolling in. ****, I'd toss in $500 (don't tell my wife). Miami would raise so much money they could pay back the Soffers (so it would basically be a loan to get the program's heart beating again). Fans are down, program has no momentum, it needs that energy infusion.

As a quick aside- I saw that tOSU hired Meyer as an Assistant AD for 100k. Dude loves the University and wants to help them however he can. If Butch Davis retires from FIU and the Highsmith rumors as AD are true, I'd be very happy to see Butch as the assistant AD. Chill job, primary function would be fundraising for the athletic department.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, there is an big advantage in south Florida. Most coaches would do better at a job like Miami, but Urban as an elite coach and has already proven that he can win in Ohio. Guys like Matt Campbell would benefit from coaching at Miami, not guys like Saban, Meyer, or Dabo.
Wait im confused saban meyer and dabo wont win here? Im trying to understand your post it prolly flew over my head

And why do people like this Matt Campbell guy i dont know much about him

We have multibillionaire benefactors in the Soffers. Not a lot of schools can claim the same. I think they would put up the initial money to sign Urban. I GUARANTEE if Meyer was signed donations would come rolling in. ****, I'd toss in $500 (don't tell my wife). Miami would raise so much money they could pay back the Soffers (so it would basically be a loan to get the program's heart beating again). Fans are down, program has no momentum, it needs that energy infusion.
Hey, sorry to break it to you, but Miami wealth is chump change to a lot of the major programs, even with your $500. And no way Urb would ever consider Miami. Better chance of his returning to the program he ran away from in Gainesville.

Wait im confused saban meyer and dabo wont win here? Im trying to understand your post it prolly flew over my head

And why do people like this Matt Campbell guy i dont know much about him

He had a couple of 8 win seasons at Iowa State. Upset a handful of teams. I don't get the infatuation. He's not bad, but seems like a much younger Dino Babers to me.

Advertisement
Back