OT: Snoop Dogg vs. DMX

X … is a cautionary tale. He makes me wonder what could’ve been. He was Jay dominant before Jay became Jay … and I never saw Snoop that way.

One man’s opinion.

and jay Screwed him as soon as he got the pres spot at def jam. Ever wonder why rap changed so drastic and quick when jay took over? He wanted to be the only real one left. Smart business

Advertisement
Snoop w the easy W. Wasn't even close, and X is no lightweight. Matter of fact, I think Snoop took it easy on X to make it fair.

Snoop is an icon. DMX catalog will wash 90 % of any rappers, and he couldn't hang w Snoop.

And then the OG starts freestyling unprompted at the end? Legend.

We really don't appreciate him like we should. Dudes been in the game 4 decades. I think maybe only LL is on his level.
What about Jadakiss? Snoop and LL aren't on his level. There's a bunch of guys I can name ahead of Snoop and LL lyrically.

What about Jadakiss? Snoop and LL aren't on his level. There's a bunch of guys I can name ahead of Snoop and LL lyrically.
There's guys I can name ahead of Kiss lyrically but I wouldn't classify them as a better artist. You have to take into account other components that make a record (production, hooks, execution, etc.).

X … is a cautionary tale. He makes me wonder what could’ve been. He was Jay dominant before Jay became Jay … and I never saw Snoop that way.

One man’s opinion.
I remember getting in heated arguments about the King of NY post Biggie. Nobody couldn't tell me it wasn't X. Them Jay fanboys were serious tho.

I think X went astray when he had his lil falling out with Ruff Ryders and Swizz. Then he started getting into this ridiculous competition with Ja Rule, then of course the drugs.

Those first 3 albums are certified.

There's guys I can name ahead of Kiss lyrically but I wouldn't classify them as a better artist. You have to take into account other components that make a record (production, hooks, execution, etc.).
I agree, my favorite rapper is 2Pac and he embodied all of that while not being the best lyricist. I think he was a very underrated lyricist, but complete package he's the best in my book. I just don't find myself listening to much Snoop without Dre or much LL past the 80's. Kiss doesn't put out any wasted verses, either. Every bar is on point.

Advertisement
Goin in for some reason ALOT of people felt Snoop would just wash DMX. (Completely understand Snoop catalog is vast and overwhelming for dam near 99% of artist, has three pop hit #1 and 11 top 10 while DMX has none which is shocking) But goin in DMX has a couple things that people underestimated, he got Swizz in his corner who owns verzus and understands the format (you not fighting snoop entire catalogue, pick the right songs, dont chase his undeniable win songs with one of your bigger records, etc.) he got high energy records/street anthems (those play well in this format), X is a legend in his own right, those first few albums are front to back classics.

Snoop started out on fire, many probably had it 5-1 or even 6-0 all snoop, then the dogg started playing with his food with off song selection (many have lost this way) and X was able to come all the way back and take lead. How it ended is up for debate, I got snoop closing it out and pulling narrow victory but wouldnt look at anyone sideways if they called a tie or said X won. It was an INSTANT classic tho, The energy was live, Snoop dancing, X when he dropped "slippin" and Snoop followed with murder was the case dam man . Real hip hop ****. The bonus freestyling in OT. No PC sjw BS. What a night. Best Verzus they have put together, gonna be hard to top unless they bringing people from the dead back.

Swizz was the unsung MVP for real. He got DMX physically there lol and the order he arranged the set like you said was terrific.

Swizz was the unsung MVP for real. He got DMX physically there lol and the order he arranged the set like you said was terrific.
Swizz did his thing, lol.. I watched a couple of these verzus in past and have seen guys just struggle to understand what songs to play when or just really bad song selection, choosing their personal favorite B sides or sentimental tracks, even if you have the better catalog will get you washed! (Nelly/Ludacris and Fabolous/jadakiss come to mind)..

I am also happy that they split it 10 and 10 then flip who goes 2nd. I feel like whoever went 2nd would always have hug advantage if they know how to not chase unbeatable songs and can always adjust to who went first (Rza/Premier and Nelly/Luda again). Swizz has seen all these things and him being producer/dj he knows how to pay attention to a crowd. Snoop has Dj also so he should of been on point. I heard they might have curated the play list prior also so I guess that helps too..

I agree, my favorite rapper is 2Pac and he embodied all of that while not being the best lyricist. I think he was a very underrated lyricist, but complete package he's the best in my book. I just don't find myself listening to much Snoop without Dre or much LL past the 80's. Kiss doesn't put out any wasted verses, either. Every bar is on point.

Jada and Scarface are very underrated. But not amongst rappers. They know better than to cross Jada, just ask fifty. Lyrically jada can hang with anyone. He also never sold out , made his money while never being too mainstream.

Advertisement
I remember getting in heated arguments about the King of NY post Biggie. Nobody couldn't tell me it wasn't X. Them Jay fanboys were serious tho.

I think X went astray when he had his lil falling out with Ruff Ryders and Swizz. Then he started getting into this ridiculous competition with Ja Rule, then of course the drugs.

Those first 3 albums are certified.

Jay Z is one of the most overrated rappers in my life, he’s pretty good but lyrically very basic. Nothing special other than hooks and beats.

As much as I love and respect both of these legends, listening to them brings back great memories of the 90s growing up in the day. Makes me feel older than my 42yrs. Where did the time go fellas?

Advertisement
Jada and Scarface are very underrated. But not amongst rappers. They know better than to cross Jada, just ask fifty. Lyrically jada can hang with anyone. He also never sold out , made his money while never being too mainstream.
I liked styles more than Jada but Facemobb is the man. Hit the nail on the head when you said he was the rappers rapper. The fix was a great album and he had my favorite And 1 commercial with Stevey Francise when he was a rocket

X and it’s not even close. People forget but X‘s first 4 albums were some of the best. It’s Dark and **** is hot is still one of the best rap albums ever.

People sleep on Snoops Rhythm & Gangsta album.

Up jump the boogie from doggfather is one of my all time favorite singles as well.

Big fan of both though...just wanted to give my .02

Advertisement
Jay Z is one of the most overrated rappers in my life, he’s pretty good but lyrically very basic. Nothing special other than hooks and beats.

Facts. By far the most overrated. Smart business man but wouldn’t even come close to a top 25 rapper list if I made one.

This Jay-Z slander needs to stop. "Dead Presidents" I and II are both great songs, as are many more Jay-Z tracks. His verse on Missy Elliott's "Is That Yo *****?" is one of the best IMO.

This Jay-Z slander needs to stop. "Dead Presidents" I and II are both great songs, as are many more Jay-Z tracks. His verse on Missy Elliott's "Is That Yo *****?" is one of the best IMO.

Jay the truth, they don't know hip-hop brah, jay top 5dead or alive..But right now the best rapper alive pound for pound right now in front of a mic is Black Thought...my top hitmaker right now is J.Cole and my up and comer i go with 'benny tha butcher and BSF..

Advertisement
Back