OT: SEC (and Big12) cheating in the past

Handsome Squidbum

The Strongest Steel is Forged in Dumpster Fires
Premium

I have a feeling though that if the NCAA looked into this again, they'd latch onto Manziel's statement, “I may or may not have gone back to this guy’s condo [in South Beach] and signed probably 10,000 pieces” and try to figure out how the University of Miami was involved since this happened in SoBe.

Hilarious though that the NCAA supposedly investigated this the first time around and said there was no evidence of payments, yet Manziel is blatantly admitting that there was. They must have been too busy with trying to give us the death penalty to send their best investigators.

On a somewhat related note, you know who I really feel bad for? The University of Oregon. 110% guarantee they would have beaten Auburn without sCam Newton, but of course, the NCAA investigated those allegations too and cleared him just before the national championship game. His dad was shopping Newton around the SEC, but Cam had NO IDEA this was happening. Riiiggght.

Advertisement

I have a feeling though that if the NCAA looked into this again, they'd latch onto Manziel's statement, “I may or may not have gone back to this guy’s condo [in South Beach] and signed probably 10,000 pieces” and try to figure out how the University of Miami was involved since this happened in SoBe.

Hilarious though that the NCAA supposedly investigated this the first time around and said there was no evidence of payments, yet Manziel is blatantly admitting that there was. They must have been too busy with trying to give us the death penalty to send their best investigators.

On a somewhat related note, you know who I really feel bad for? The University of Oregon. 110% guarantee they would have beaten Auburn without sCam Newton, but of course, the NCAA investigated those allegations too and cleared him just before the national championship game. His dad was shopping Newton around the SEC, but Cam had NO IDEA this was happening. Riiiggght.
Bud Elliot said it best on the Cover 3 Podcast a few weeks back:

“The reason the SEC finally became dominant in college football is they all agreed to stop snitching on each other.” Thats what he credited Mike Slive with doing so well, he’s exactly right, and the NCAA does not care one lick about it.

“The reason the SEC finally became dominant in college football is they all agreed to stop snitching on each other.” Thats what he credited Mike Slive with doing so well, he’s exactly right, and the NCAA does not care one lick about it.
I disagree with Bud. It's not like the SEC (and Clemson et al) are even clever about how they're paying players.

It just benefits the NCAA to look the other way. Any competent investigator with no dog in the fight would be able to put up a damning case against pretty much any SEC team you wanted.

Advertisement

How many of the Oregon players you think were spending that Nike money? Yep Cam got paid and plenty but let’s not talk like he was the only one in that game that was getting or had gotten paid..

How many of the Oregon players you think were spending that Nike money? Yep Cam got paid and plenty but let’s not talk like he was the only one in that game that was getting or had gotten paid..

Who knows? Maybe they got paid, maybe they didn't. It's not as if Oregon was team filled with 5 star talent like it is now. If Oregon had won the championship, they would have been the first and only team below the 50% blue chip ratio in the BCS era to win a championship (I think they were in the 30s in the blue chip ratio).

All I know for sure is Scam Newton was busted 3 times for academic cheating at UF, then got caught buying stolen property before transferring to Blinn. Then ESPN broke the story about the bidding war for him. The NCAA accepted Auburn's self-investigation (you read that correctly) that his dad was doing the shopping but Newton and Auburn didn't know about it. Uh huh. Because Scam was a paragon of honesty and integrity. Oh and it was literally ONE day after Auburn declared him ineligible that the NCAA reinstated him, which happened to be a couple days before the SEC championship game. Unbelievable.

"Auburn declared Newton ineligible four days before the Southeastern Conference Championship Game, and the NCAA reinstated him the following day, saying there was not "sufficient evidence" that Newton or Auburn knew of the attempts to cash in on his talent."

Amazing how they could review the evidence in less than a day and make that determination. Like I said, the NCAA giftwrapped the championship for the SEC.

Who knows? Maybe they got paid, maybe they didn't. It's not as if Oregon was team filled with 5 star talent like it is now. If Oregon had won the championship, they would have been the first and only team below the 50% blue chip ratio in the BCS era to win a championship (I think they were in the 30s in the blue chip ratio).

All I know for sure is Scam Newton was busted 3 times for academic cheating at UF, then got caught buying stolen property before transferring to Blinn. Then ESPN broke the story about the bidding war for him. The NCAA accepted Auburn's self-investigation (you read that correctly) that his dad was doing the shopping but Newton and Auburn didn't know about it. Uh huh. Because Scam was a paragon of honesty and integrity. Oh and it was literally ONE day after Auburn declared him ineligible that the NCAA reinstated him, which happened to be a couple days before the SEC championship game. Unbelievable.

"Auburn declared Newton ineligible four days before the Southeastern Conference Championship Game, and the NCAA reinstated him the following day, saying there was not "sufficient evidence" that Newton or Auburn knew of the attempts to cash in on his talent."

Amazing how they could review the evidence in less than a day and make that determination. Like I said, the NCAA giftwrapped the championship for the SEC.
This. If Oregon truly wanted to cheat, nobody, I repeat NOBODY, would be able to outbid Phil Knight lol!

Unfortunately for Miami the ACC only cooperates when it comes to the schools in Virginia or the Carolinas (maybe FSU). They’d all snitch on Miami

Advertisement
Listen. The NCAA doesn't want to investigate ANYONE. They have no subpoena power, at all. They, LITERALLY, depend on the media, or disconsolate athletes/ donors to make their cases..... PERIOD.

Without a "witness" willing to testify. Nothing goes forward as far as punishing schools.

dog stare 2.gif

The NCAA Investigators are well trained to NOT go after their cupcake schools

Listen. The NCAA doesn't want to investigate ANYONE. They have no subpoena power, at all. They, LITERALLY, depend on the media, or disconsolate athletes/ donors to make their cases..... PERIOD.

Without a "witness" willing to testify. Nothing goes forward as far as punishing schools.

Except for Miami.

In which case they’re willing to pay a lawyer to unethically obtain information, which subsequently got that lawyer suspended from the Florida bar.

So your premise doesn’t necessarily hold up.

Advertisement

The NCAA investigaton was literally a phone call with Auburn.

Auburn suspended Newton as a matter of protocol, knowing the NCAA would reinstate Cam the following day.

Advertisement
Back