OT - San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to say golf, but someone already mentioned. San Antonio is part of the Texas hill country. There are many little towns around settled by Germans. You can get pretty good German food and beer there if you venture out a bit. Also, if your wife likes shopping, there is a huge outlet mall in San Marco, on the way to Austin.

Advertisement
The Riverwalk is kinda a giant tourist trap - you might as well check it out once since it is close to the Alamo, but there is really nothing special. It feels like an area within Disney World. There is literally a Ripley's Believe it or Not, Guinness Book of Records and House of Wax directly across the street from the Alamo 🤢

You should go check out the Pearl District (about 2 miles North of the River Walk) or if you are looking for a place to eat and/or grab drinks; the Southtown area has some good options and is only a 15 minute walk from the Riverwalk

I do, but I don't think the sticks are making the trip. Thanks for the good word though.

I guess it’s not the same to play without buddies, either.

Its the 5th ranked most obese city in US.

Great running/biking trails built in response.

Riverwalk is great. Go to ****s...staff is supposed to insult you, and your wife can leave her bra tacked to the ceiling.

If you are there for a week, rent a car and head to 6th street in Austin for a night.

So ****s is the place to go to get cucked?

Austin is awesome. The start of hill country with the rivers and mountains is great. The city has a great vibe, too.

Next week, my wife and I are going to San Antonio. She has a work conference for a couple of days there, and we're just going for the week - neither of us have ever been there.

We're going to go to the Alamo (have to see the basement, lol), and we're staying on the Riverwalk which looks like there's tons to do in that area. Fiesta starts on the 18th and they've got a bunch of events scheduled.

So...besides those things, any suggestions for places to go/things to do?

EDIT - saw that Spurs/Nuggets play on Thursday/Saturday of next week. Might try to catch one of those games.

You'll have lots of fun.

It's been a while since I've been there but what I remember most is pushing my twins in a stroller along the riverwalk and being stopped every few feet by very friendly people inquiring and complimenting us on them. Second was being shocked at how small the Alamo actually is.

Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurant heaven. You have to work real hard to find a bad one.

You'll really enjoy it.........unless its done a complete 180 turn over the last ten years

Advertisement
More Memphis than Seattle I would think.

I'll take your word as I have never been to Memphis. I said Seattle as a lot of the people there would be right at home in Seattle (tattoos, piercings, haircuts, etc) and there are also a lot of tech companies there.

It's a little (mostly) liberal oasis, but what cracked me up is that you could see a grungy/hippy chick with lots of tattoos, piercings, etc and she would still be driving a truck.

I love Austin, but if the OP does go there, I would avoid 6th st as that is just a **** show. Rainey Street is probably a better place to check out, but the last time I was there I was made fun of by a local for going to there as opposed to somewhere like East Austin (where we met the local and was a lot of fun).

I'll take your word as I have never been to Memphis. I said Seattle as a lot of the people there would be right at home in Seattle (tattoos, piercings, haircuts, etc) and there are also a lot of tech companies there.

It's a little (mostly) liberal oasis, but what cracked me up is that you could see a grungy/hippy chick with lots of tattoos, piercings, etc and she would still be driving a truck.

I love Austin, but if the OP does go there, I would avoid 6th st as that is just a **** show. Rainey Street is probably a better place to check out, but the last time I was there I was made fun of by a local for going to there as opposed to somewhere like East Austin (where we met the local and was a lot of fun).
Yeah probably degrees. After posted thinking more of ambiance, food, Music realized the tech angle you mention, Dell owns half the hills surrounding Austin lol and TI major player. Great to always hear updates from cane fam around the globe!

Edit: AMD too I think ?

I would recommend a couple of places:

The Pearl is an old brewery that has been converted into an area of bars, restaurants and shops. On Saturdays and possibly Sundays there is a great farmer's market there with food and live music. It is on the north end of the River Walk a.k.a the Museum Reach portion. It can be reached from the downtown portion of the River Walk by walking, scooter, bike or river barge. Nearby is the San Antonio Museum of Art which is worth a visit. The southern portion of the River Walk is known as the Mission Reach. It extends about 8 miles south of downtown and connects to 3 historic Spanish Colonial era missions which are administered by the National Park Service. Bikes can be checked out from the bike library if you choose to do this. Also on this portion of the River Walk is the Blue Star Arts Complex which has several small art galleries, shops, restaurants and the Blue Star Brewery. Adjacent to this is the Prince William / South Town neighborhood which has beautiful historic homes as well as some trendy restaurants and bars. Also in this area is Lulu's Bakery & Cafe known for its 3 lb. cinnamon rolls.

Off of Broadway is the Witte Museum which has been newly renovated and expanded and has a nice display of Texas oriented exhibits. The Japanese Tea Garden, San Antonio Zoo and San Antonio Botanical Gardens and McNay Museum of Modern Art are in the area and worth a visit.

Market Square in downtown San Antonio is reportedly the largest Mexican Market outside of Mexico and has mexican arts, crafts and food.

Just north of downtown are the Shops of La Canterra, an outdoor shopping area. It is adjacent to Fiesta Texas (Six Flags). On the other side of I-10 in this area is the Rim which has more shopping, restaurants and Top Golf.

If you are so inclined, Sea World is on the western edge of the city.

If you do decide to venture up to Austin you'll pass through New Braunfels where many people go for a lazy inner tube ride down the Guadalupe River and San Marcos which has a large outlet mall. In Austin you can paddle board or kayak on Lady Bird Lake or take a dip in Barton Springs.

If you have a free evening, I'd check the schedule for the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts as the acoustics are world class. If you crave a great steak dinner I'd recommend Bohanan's.

Hopefully this will keep you occupied for awhile.

Advertisement
anyone in here currently local? we have a loyal handful for game watch - have to be more out here!

I've been one time and it is a cool city.

Agree, San Antonio is cool in its own way. I like it.

Dallas and Houston?

Now those two places are phucken **** holes – and I was born and raised in North Florida for godsakes.

Advertisement
Agree, San Antonio is cool in its own way. I like it.

Dallas and Houston?

Now those two places are phucken **** holes – and I was born and raised in North Florida for godsakes.
You're not lying! I had to go to Houston for the first time last week and couldn't stop thinking what a sh*t hole that place is!

What’s going on in 6th st in Austin?

If your into the Military - Lackland AFB has a nice museum of different aircraft

Advertisement
Thanks to everyone for all of the info...I truly appreciate my Canes fam coming through with excellent info!!!

I live in San Antonio currently. I don't venture downtown too much to be perfectly honest (live on the Northwest side by UTSA). Breakfast Tacos are a must. Think there is a place downtown area called Pete's Tako House that has good breakfast tacos. Rosario's is pretty good too. Hope you like Tex Mex food.

Lived right off of Culebra Drive for a minute when I was stationed at Lackland..

The Riverwalk is pretty cool if its your first time visiting the city. Gets old pretty quick for residents. Alamodome isnt too far away from there.
Aside from the downtown area, that city is spread out like a mugg.

And Cribby was right, they do got some big ol women in SA, as Charles Barkley as repeatedly confirmed on ItNBA.
I'm talkin them bloomer-wearin', 12-torta eatin' beauts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back