OT: Saban says O Wins Titles (sorry Dwinstitles)

Handsome Squidbum

The Strongest Steel is Forged in Dumpster Fires
Premium

I agree that's how it is today. Clemson and LSU both had elite defenses but LSU scored a zillion points.

Of course, Saban might also just be saying this to spare his team the embarrassment when Bama faces Kenny Pickett in the National championship game and Pickett throws 7 TDs and runs for 3 more.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I agree that's how it is today. Clemson and LSU both had elite defenses but LSU scored a zillion points.

Of course, Saban might also just be saying this to spare his team the embarrassment when Bama faces Kenny Pickett in the National championship game and Pickett throws 7 TDs and runs for 3 more.
I was just going to post this
He is right tho. The top tier athletes play offense and today's schemes make it hard to teach players what to key on.

You got lineman half way down field on pass plays for christ sake. **** is too much

Yea been mentioned in offseason the top teams are now tryna hoard WR because its an arms race to have those guys who can win 1 on 1 battles on outside..

This is such bull chit. His Bama team just put a 0 on a UGA team that was said to be the best team in the nation, for the entire 2nd half.

Clemson just made our O look real pedestrian.

Clemson just beat the **** out of and into GT.

Wisconsin just made Lovie Smith re-think if he should continue coaching.

UGA rag dolled Tennessee in the whole 2nd Half & made Gus Mahlzan wish he was back coaching high school.

Covid has f’d over a lot of chit. But to say defense don’t win is disingenuous. Yes the league is now O driven, but good defense still is extremely valuable.

Advertisement
I was just going to post this
He is right tho. The top tier athletes play offense and today's schemes make it hard to teach players what to key on.

You got lineman half way down field on pass plays for christ sake. **** is too much
I disagree that the top tier athletes play offence.

It's just that, at some point along the way, the football authorities decided that people tune in to watch teams score points. They've handcuffed the D ever since - the DPI (breath on a guy and a flag is thrown), pick plays, holding, Olinemen blocking 10 yards downfield on RPOs, targeting etc etc.

It's easier than ever to score points.

I hear what Saban's saying, but Bama's D stopped Ole Miss on one drive late in the game and that's when you knew the game was over.

DEFENSE STILL WINS BABY

Advertisement
This is such bull chit. His Bama team just put a 0 on a UGA team that was said to be the best team in the nation, for the entire 2nd half.

UGA rag dolled Tennessee in the whole 2nd Half & made Gus Mahlzan wish he was back coaching high school.

Covid has f’d over a lot of chit. But to say defense don’t win is disingenuous. Yes the league is now O driven, but good defense still is extremely valuable.
What he said is that good O now beats good D. It used to be that a good D beat a good O.

he did not say that mediocre Offense now beats an elite defense. You can still embarrass an Illinois or GT if you outclass them

and what the f does COVID have to do with this?

No. They didn't have an elite defense last year. They had an offense for the ages though.

Advertisement
Alabama has been going down hill ever since early signing period was introduced. He could no longer drop bags last second to win late over late risers. It now or never with recruiting.

What's a top tier defense in college football now? 4-5 stops and 2 turnovers.

Advertisement
Saban is partly saying that because his defense, with all of its "elite talent" isn't very good this year. I doubt their DC is with the team come next season.
This right here! He’s a politician and when things don’t go his way he tries to spinet to make it look like it’s not his fault.
While TCU and Baylor were putting up 50 every weekend he was complaining about it because he was a slugfest with LSU 20 to 17.
He complained about spread an tempo at one point and he’s doing it.
He wasn’t a fan of running quarterbacks and now he basically exclusively recruits dual threat ones.
He just doesn’t admit that his defensive System seems to be poorly equipped against the spread offenses. All you have to do is replay that Ole Miss game.

True. Otherwise Mike Leach would have Saban’s set of NC rings.

He’s half right. You definitely don’t stand a chase today without a good offense. You’ve got to be able to put points on the board.

But to think you don’t also need a good defense is crazy talk. Thing is, you can’t expect to ride your defense week after week. You can’t expect your defense to shut down good offenses AND put points on the board. That’s asking way too much.

Today’s formula: Build a prolific O but complement it with a strong D that can be dominant when needed. Because the O won’t always click.

Advertisement
Back