OT: Saban, Brees, and College Football

HTXCane

Recruit
ESPN ran a story on different alternate timelines for Brees and how things might have been if they happened. One that was the most likely and interesting is if Dolphins doctor's were not incompetent and Saban signed Brees instead of trading for Culpepper. Brees had a deal worked out and just need to pass the physical to join the Dolphins.

If Brees is a Dolphin, Saban probably doesn't have the disaster second season and sticks with the NFL longer. The college football landscape would be completely different right now with Alabama not the dominate team they are. Probably doesn't change Miami during that time but would wonder who would be that team. Does Urban not run from the SEC to get away from Saban and Florida sadly becomes that team? Does Jimbo get hired somewhere else and FSU never wins the NC?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...hich-never-was-new-orleans-saints-quarterback

Advertisement
Frankly, and as much as I hate to say this, we are better off with Satan at Baga sucking up all the energy from the rest of college football. If he's not there, we could still have Jimbo at FSU with more than one championship, UF may not have gotten derailed, who knows, Richt might have won one at UGA and still be there, and Clemson would likely have multiples by now and could be unstoppable.

As much as it sucks, I've basically come to accept over the last couple years that Bama has become the lesser of the evils. Now, if Emmert could get run over by a train and someone at the NCAA actually started doing their job and poking around down there, I would be fine with that.

It feels like our time is just starting to dawn, just as time should be soon running out on the Bama mystique and magic. Nothing lasts forever.

Interesting scenario. Rather than consider how cfb would be different if saban had stayed w the dolphins, I’d rather think about how cfb would be different if Schnelly never went to the USFL. Or if jimmy didn’t go to Dallas. Or if Butch didn’t go to Cleveland.

Any of those coaches stay at the U and we’d be living in a different cfb world right now.

Richt definitely has a chip a UGA if saban wasn't there. If they won in the SEC chip they woulda toasted Notre Dame

Advertisement
Brees is a great quarterback but don't forget that it was Sean Payton that made him into what he's become. Could Brees have had the same impact on the dolphins as he's had the Saints without Payton's system? Possibly. Personally I think Saban knew he fit better in college than the NFL. Easier to control kids straight out of high school than grown men getting paid millions of dollars.

It's a lot easier to win when you can just pay...err recruit the best players every year. It would be the equivalent of the Dolphins having 5 first round picks every year.

Interesting scenario. Rather than consider how cfb would be different if saban had stayed w the dolphins, I’d rather think about how cfb would be different if Schnelly never went to the USFL. Or if jimmy didn’t go to Dallas. Or if Butch didn’t go to Cleveland.

Any of those coaches stay at the U and we’d be living in a different cfb world right now.
I think the Butch move had a larger impact on the Canes. Jimmy took Miami to the top after Schnelly so you can't argue the program fell off when Jimmy came. The same can be said for Erickson for Jimmy. We took a steady decline after Butch's players left Miami (two years after him leaving).

Advertisement
I think the Butch move had a larger impact on the Canes. Jimmy took Miami to the top after Schnelly so you can't argue the program fell off when Jimmy came. The same can be said for Erickson for Jimmy. We took a steady decline after Butch's players left Miami (two years after him leaving).
Can’t argue with that.

The one scenario wasn't happening. They were moving on from Brees and going with the younger and higher drafted Rivers. Brees would have been traded or a FA.

Though I often like to think about what if the Bucs owners and GM and did get hung up on Simms and got Brees when he was available.

These alternate reality timelines are worthwhile talking about only if you have access to an actual time machine.

Advertisement
I was ****ed when the Dolphins signed Culpepper and not Brees. I don't know that Brees would have had the same impact with the Dolphins that he has with Payton and the Saints. I've despised Sabag ever since he left the Phins in such a mess.

It's a lot easier to win when you can just pay...err recruit the best players every year. It would be the equivalent of the Dolphins having 5 first round picks every year.

More like 25 first round picks every year. AND every team in the league has to cut 1/4 of their players every year.

I do not think Meyer left UF out of fear of Saban and Bama. He's one of the few coaches I'd list as Saban's peer and equal. He had beaten Saban during the Tebow era and during his tenure at Ohio State has beaten Saban in the CFP.

Meyer left Florida because he lost Tebow and Cam Newton. An interesting scenario to add to this thread is what if Cam Newton had not been dismissed from UF? Cam was the heir-apparent to Tebow. With Newton at QB Meyer may have stayed and continued winning. The Saban-Meyer battles would have been epic.

Advertisement
I do not think Meyer left UF out of fear of Saban and Bama. He's one of the few coaches I'd list as Saban's peer and equal. He had beaten Saban during the Tebow era and during his tenure at Ohio State has beaten Saban in the CFP.

Meyer left Florida because he lost Tebow and Cam Newton. An interesting scenario to add to this thread is what if Cam Newton had not been dismissed from UF? Cam was the heir-apparent to Tebow. With Newton at QB Meyer may have stayed and continued winning. The Saban-Meyer battles would have been epic.

I like your avatar. I don't like this post.

Cause it's a pretty picture and I like dogs too.

Oh, orr cause it's all a bunch of positive sounding things about gates, and Urban, and OSuck, and it's all true and it doesn't make me feel good inside. I don't like it.

Quick, someone point out what a scumbag Urban is...

Cause it's a pretty picture and I like dogs too.

Oh, orr cause it's all a bunch of positive sounding things about gates, and Urban, and OSuck, and it's all true and it doesn't make me feel good inside. I don't like it.

Quick, someone point out what a scumbag Urban is...

a wife-beater enabling scumbag

Advertisement
Back