OT: Roller Hockey - Ice Hockey Beer Leagues

Until the Panthers get on a big run in the playoffs unfortunately it will always just be low numbers. The cost of hockey also is a huge deterrent. Telling me I can spend max $200 for top of the line soccer stuff compared to that just being the bottom skates. Wish roller would pick backup with the youth. When I moved here Pines roller was at middle school then expanded to 6 rinks at a park, Weston, Plantation and a few others opened up massive parks in the following years and even Davie put two rinks in.
Unfortunately roller hockey is dead. It was a much easier entry into hockey because back in the early 90s there were two sheets of ice in all of south Florida. The pompano one and sunrise ice arena. The waiting list for in house leagues were years long. Now there’s a bunch of ice rinks and the cost of playing ice hockey is only slightly more than roller hockey. No reason to play roller anymore.

Advertisement
Yeah there were a lot of people ****ed about how our leagues were being managed but at this point guys are just grateful when they're able to get out on the ice and have a couple beers after
The day before our first game, our captain sent out the roll call e-mail with the new rink COVID protocols and also mentioned the rink was prohibiting us from hanging out in the parking lot after games for a beer or two (6). Guys on the team were more ****ed about that than they were the fee increase. Fortunately they haven't even tried to enforce it.

Hope all you guys are able to get back on the ice often and safely sooner than later!

I was skating 3 days/week prior to the pandemic up here in Boston. Since things started locking down I’ve only been able to skate 5-6 times total. The restrictions on locker rooms have deterred a lot of teams and players.

Anyone else here a Spittin Chicklets listener?
Yes and Missin Curfew as well.

Unfortunately roller hockey is dead. It was a much easier entry into hockey because back in the early 90s there were two sheets of ice in all of south Florida. The pompano one and sunrise ice arena. The waiting list for in house leagues were years long. Now there’s a bunch of ice rinks and the cost of playing ice hockey is only slightly more than roller hockey. No reason to play roller anymore.
And playing roller down here in the spring and summer is brutal with all the rainouts. I know Lake Worth used to have indoor roller (not sure if they were ever converted to ice) but those were the southernmost indoor roller rinks. No way that anyone from Dade is driving up there on the regular.

Advertisement
I’m pretty sure there is an unofficial UM roller team at the league I play in (Suniland).
Not sure when you played for UM, but the collegiate club league used to be pretty competitive. UCF and USF used to be really good, UF was solid too.
I used to play out there and the JCC back in the day. My brother was still playin til he moved a couple yrs back and some of my buddies still play at Suniland.

I was skating 3 days/week prior to the pandemic up here in Boston. Since things started locking down I’ve only been able to skate 5-6 times total. The restrictions on locker rooms have deterred a lot of teams and players.

Anyone else here a Spittin Chicklets listener?
The Rink Shrinks are my guys. Whit is hilarious on chicklets. If you heard the ‘Dead Luke’ story on Chicklets I actually played with the dude in college. Ned Havern is a great dude but he got that story from Andy Powers. Dead Luke is one of a kind.

Advertisement
I used to play out there and the JCC back in the day. My brother was still playin til he moved a couple yrs back and some of my buddies still play at Suniland.
Nice. I used to play at the JCC as well before it folded and the remnants became Suniland. Originally I played the The Hammocks league. One of our old rinks still exists at Tamiami Park, but there’s no league anymore and it’s just used for pick up hockey.

Last time I played, K.C. & The Sunshine Band were Top Ten on the Charts. I had just finished my senior season of NAIA Ball and the Boot Hill Bowl in Dodge City, Kansas. A couple of teammates from Brooklyn grew up playing and started a league at the Dodge Roller Rink.

I had never skated, but since I was an O-linemen they made me a defenseman - just told me to knock anyone down in front of the net. They taught me to skate the night before the first game. Never had so much fun.

We played a local team of great skates but our guys were phenomenal stick handlers. I had one shot on goal all season to win game six and put us into the championship game where we won The High Plains Dressed Beef Trophy! Curley's Canadians of Curley's Tavern, on the wrong side of the tracks in Dodge City. Curley (to right, an Iwo Jima Marine) would have the pitchers of Coors lined up after a win and we’d pour them on each other.

94243084_2413351922218900_7694377513568436224_o.jpg

Last edited:
Last time I played, K.C. & The Sunshine Band were Top Ten on the Charts. I had just finished my senior season of NAIA Ball and the Boot Hill Bowl in Dodge City, Kansas. A couple of teammates from Brooklyn grew up playing and started a league at the Dodge Roller Rink.

I had never skated, but since I was an O-linemen they made me a defenseman - just told me to knock anyone down in front of the net. They taught me to skate the night before the first game. Never had so much fun.

We played a local team of great skates but our guys were phenomenal stick handlers. I had one shot on goal all season to win game six and put us into the championship game where we won The High Plains Dressed Beef Trophy! Curley's Canadians of Curley's Tavern, on the wrong side of the tracks in Dodge City. Curley (to right, an Iwo Jima Marine) would have the pitchers of Coors lined up after a win and we’d pour them on each other.

View attachment 140823
This is a fantastic photo.

Advertisement

View attachment 140823
Have you by any chance heard of the Cumberland Raiders from Maryland? That's the local team my cousin plays for and his dad coaches. They own the skating rink here in my town. My dad was a goalie for them as well.

That was the extent of my Roller Hockey experience- I was amazed at how popular the guys told me it was in the NE, they'd rent rinks from midnight on

Advertisement
Bump....

Is anybody playing in the upcoming roller hockey season? I know they had he captain’s meeting tonight and preliminary rosters were put out.

Just skated last night, leagues opened back up here in Michigan finally felt good to skate. I’ve lived and played in leagues in Chicago, New Jersey and south Florida since my playing days were over after college and I can say they are vastly different lol

Advertisement
Back