OT: Roller Hockey - Ice Hockey Beer Leagues

247 Canes

Sophomore
Been playing in a league for some time down here (minus this past year due to the pandemic).
So, I was wondering if anyone here plays or has played before.
Obviously, with the whole pandemic it's been difficult for any adult beer leagues.
However, the beer league I usually play at informed me that they plan to resume soon.
Now, I'm not sure I want to take the risk yet but it would be nice to get to know a few of you gents or ladies for open hockey sessions or just a shoot around.

Note to staff: I respect the site and knowing this could be considered an AD I will refrain from post any details or website to promote the league.

Advertisement
Where do you play? I’ve played roller hockey in Miami for the last 27 years.
There’s one roller hockey league in Miami (there used to be 5+).
As far as ice hockey....there’s Kendall Ice and Pembroke Pines, the latter having even former NHLers playing

Was the captain of the UM roller team. Now it’s an ice hockey program. Haven’t skated in a few years since my kidney transplant but will start back up again once Covid is over. What league you play in?

I play up in Chicago. Ice hockey leagues in the fall and winter and roller hockey spring and summer. Not as much roller hockey since I play a lot of softball in the summer. Last time I was able to get on the ice was a tournament back in March then it was cancelled due to Covid. Might wait another month or two before I get back on the ice.

Advertisement
As far as ice hockey....there’s Kendall Ice and Pembroke Pines, the latter having even former NHLers playing
Probably same place. I don't know how welcoming the staff is here for me to reveal it so i'll just say it's more than likely the same one if two brothers run the league.

Not in Miami, but I'm a seasoned beer league parking lot veteran. Just finished a condensed season a few weeks ago and starting another tonight with back to back games. We've had to get dressed outside, no locker rooms or equipment bags allowed in the rink. Real pain in the *** being a goalie, especially when it dips into the 30's and decides to rain. But **** if doesn't feel good to be back on the ice. NHL starting back up this week too!

Screenshot_20210110-065206_Facebook.jpg

Advertisement
I’m not sure how it is now but back when I was in high school about 10 years ago the ice at Pines was terrible.

Play at Pines Ice in two divisions. Usually take a team to either Torhs or Narch Roller Nationals. I know they have a skate at the Ft Lauderdale Beach rink a few times a week and in Sugar Sand Park in Boca.

I’m not sure how it is now but back when I was in high school about 10 years ago the ice at Pines was terrible.
Still is, they just updated the showers and put some fresh paint on the inside. Pines has the best competition and its pretty good at keeping players that don't belong in divisions out of them. Only allow you to play 1 division down of the highest level you play. I play B and C, they wont let me play C2. A guys cant play C.

Was the captain of the UM roller team. Now it’s an ice hockey program. Haven’t skated in a few years since my kidney transplant but will start back up again once Covid is over. What league you play in?
I’m pretty sure there is an unofficial UM roller team at the league I play in (Suniland).
Not sure when you played for UM, but the collegiate club league used to be pretty competitive. UCF and USF used to be really good, UF was solid too.

Advertisement
Probably same place. I don't know how welcoming the staff is here for me to reveal it so i'll just say it's more than likely the same one if two brothers run the league.
Yea, that’s definitely it. The elder brother used to play with me as a kid, then came back around a few years ago and took over the league. They’re really trying to bring back youth hockey and I hope they succeed. There used to be so many leagues down here in the 90s and unfortunately they all started folding until this one was the only one left. A bunch of guys stopped playing for different reasons, but there are a good amount of us left that still play either in that league or the two ice leagues.

My team is still playing and league is currently in the playoff season. I haven’t played in 18 months after I tore my ACL out there, but I should be back next season.

Play at Pines Ice in two divisions. Usually take a team to either Torhs or Narch Roller Nationals. I know they have a skate at the Ft Lauderdale Beach rink a few times a week and in Sugar Sand Park in Boca.
Some of my good friends play at Pines and one of them still plays in those tournaments.

I’m pretty sure there is an unofficial UM roller team at the league I play in (Suniland).
Not sure when you played for UM, but the collegiate club league used to be pretty competitive. UCF and USF used to be really good, UF was solid too.
We won Nationals my senior year then it became an ice hockey team. Yeah, that’s an unofficial team in Sunniland. Team has fallen off a bit over the last 10 years. Can’t get the kids to commit to putting the effort in to win.

Advertisement
Until the Panthers get on a big run in the playoffs unfortunately it will always just be low numbers. The cost of hockey also is a huge deterrent. Telling me I can spend max $200 for top of the line soccer stuff compared to that just being the bottom skates. Wish roller would pick backup with the youth. When I moved here Pines roller was at middle school then expanded to 6 rinks at a park, Weston, Plantation and a few others opened up massive parks in the following years and even Davie put two rinks in.

I was skating 3 days/week prior to the pandemic up here in Boston. Since things started locking down I’ve only been able to skate 5-6 times total. The restrictions on locker rooms have deterred a lot of teams and players.

Anyone else here a Spittin Chicklets listener?

I was skating 3 days/week prior to the pandemic up here in Boston. Since things started locking down I’ve only been able to skate 5-6 times total. The restrictions on locker rooms have deterred a lot of teams and players.

Anyone else here a Spittin Chicklets listener?
We went from 26 teams to 6 when the rink opened back up in October because the owner thought he could recoup a lot of lost revenue from the Spring/Summer. Increased the team fee from $4400 to $8200, most people told him to get bent. He came back with $5200 but rustled a lot of jimmies. I think we're up to 8 teams for the season starting tonight, but its one league, all skill levels from A - D. Bit of a cluster**** but its just fun being back out there.

We went from 26 teams to 6 when the rink opened back up in October because the owner thought he could recoup a lot of lost revenue from the Spring/Summer. Increased the team fee from $4400 to $8200, most people told him to get bent. He came back with $5200 but rustled a lot of jimmies. I think we're up to 8 teams for the season starting tonight, but its one league, all skill levels from A - D. Bit of a cluster**** but its just fun being back out there.
Yeah there were a lot of people ****ed about how our leagues were being managed but at this point guys are just grateful when they're able to get out on the ice and have a couple beers after

Advertisement
Back