Clendenon
Agee
Cleon
Harrelson
Grote
Ryan
Seaver
Koosman
Gentry....some Great players on that 69 team....

I'll never forget the day Seaver got traded to the Reds. He bumped into me in the restroom at LaGuardia on his way out of town and gave me the best ******* of my life. Then, he handed me a suitcase full of heroin and said, "I need to stop using so much of this ****. Have fun with it."

RIP, Tom.

I became a Yankee shortly after my parents marriage was going down the drain in 72...stayed with my Grandparents (Moms) in Manhattan alot...as my folks tried to salvage their marriage...They were HUGE Yankee Fans...20s...30s..40s..50s and so on....but Seaver always was loved in NYC by everyone....
My dad loved the Dodgers, but also the Yankees, he got to see Babe Ruth a couple times, and the 1927 Yankees when he was a kid. But that 69 Mets team they had a staff. I got to watch Nolan Ryan a bunch over here in Charlotte County when the Rangers were here - fantastic pitcher.

Advertisement
I'll never forget the day Seaver got traded to the Reds. He bumped into me in the restroom at LaGuardia on his way out of town and gave me the best ******* of my life. Then, he handed me a suitcase full of heroin and said, "I need to stop using so much of this ****. Have fun with it."

RIP, Tom.
I had a strangely similar encounter with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, except it was at the Port St. Lucie rest stop and the suitcase was full of protein-rich cod filets.

Advertisement
Great anecdote about Seaver and Hank Aaron:

'When Seaver, in the midst of a Rookie of the Year season, introduced himself to Aaron at the 1967 All-Star Game, Aaron told him, "Kid, I know who you are, and before your career is over, I guarantee you everyone in this stadium will, too."'

Great anecdote about Seaver and Hank Aaron:

'When Seaver, in the midst of a Rookie of the Year season, introduced himself to Aaron at the 1967 All-Star Game, Aaron told him, "Kid, I know who you are, and before your career is over, I guarantee you everyone in this stadium will, too."'

And then they blew each other.

Advertisement
I remember watching games when Seaver was on the mound against Koufax. No bull****, just great pitching. A 9 inning game played, and finished in about an hour and a half.

Was at Shea to see Gooden in a game against the Cubs when both were vying for the pennant. I was right behind home plate, one deck up, directly behind the catcher. Gooden had an ungodly curve.

They don’t make em like this anymore, man.

Advertisement
yankee fan at the time,but made sure to watch seaver pitch.so dominant,pitched for some pretty weak teams early in his career and still won 300 games.perhaps the best motion and mechanics a pitcher could have.RIP

Seaver an Nolan Ryan in the same rotation was . . . .solid.
I was born the year of the miracle Mets, but I thought Ryan was a reliever at that point and didn't start until he went to the Angels. And remember Seaver's one knee hit the dirt on his stride home. One of the greats.

Maybe he was just a reliever during the series.

Advertisement
Back