OT: RIP Little Richard

Advertisement
Advertisement
A major part of the evolution of rock music and showmanship. It always interested me how an openly *** and flamboyant performer was so well accepted even in the 60’s. He’s like the black Liberace in that sense.
Americans love talent and he had it. Strange, I never thought about him being *** or not. He was out there and never boring. RIP.

Advertisement
Saw him perform at the San Francisco Blues Fest in the early 2000's, quite the showman.

That was an awesome festival, shame it ended. The venue/atmosphere/setting was crazy. Golden Gate Bridge in the background, the bay to the right, and San Fran on the left. Was lucky enough to attend multiple years...
where exactly was it? I lived in SF many years ago. Trying to place the location you describe.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe invented Rock n Roll then Chuck Berry, Big Momma Thornton and Little Richard became a construction team and the rest is history. RIP to a true pioneer. Likewise to Betty Wright and Andre Harrell.

where exactly was it? I lived in SF many years ago. Trying to place the location you describe.

Great Meadow Park at Fort Mason. The park itself was just basically a field, but the views were spectacular. We'd wait in line to grab our spot with blankets in the mid morning, only the tops of the Golden Gate would be peeking through the fog, such a neat sight. It was BYOB and BYOPot, the vendors usually were cooking up some tasty offerings, and between amazing blues artists, the heavenly smells and the views, the atmosphere was one of the coolest experiences I've been to.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back