OT: Restaurant and Food Thread - Clemson version

Advertisement
Gonna jump in and plug my buddies spot. It's in Greenville off Augusta Road called The 05. Good Food. They typically have a few features on Friday and Saturday nights, but flatbreads are good, ahi tuna nachos, Brussel Sprout Salad, and some of the burgers are solid when they are running them.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-05-greenville

Looks like an interesting spot, I'll have to try it next time I'm up there.

Places to go in Greenville/Clemson area:

1. The Smokin' Pig (EASLEY) - The Clemson location of this joint has been featured on many shows, including College GameDay, but do yourself a favor and go to the one in Easley. It is much larger and easier to get a table. This location is right off of US 123 between Greenville and Clemson. They bring you cracklins instead of bread. One of my 2 favorite BBQ joints in the area, this one is more of a sit-down restaurant.

2. Smoky Dreams - Woodruff Road, near the Five Forks area. I love love love this place, it's a tiny joint that has an outside smoker, a mix of indoor and outdoor seating, and a takeout window. Amazing stuff and a nice variety of sauces. Only open 4 days a week, and is right next to a McDonalds, so don't drive past it.

3. Bacon Brothers Public House - Pelham Road and 85, near the airport. The name says it all. The owners and chefs are very creative, the name kinda says it all, a nice variety of meats (particularly bacon). A bit more of a combo bar/restaurant, this place is usually crowded.

4. Saskatoon Steaks, Fish and Wild Game - Haywood Road, about a mile south of the mall. Again, the name describes the place, they have a very wide assortment of wild game meat that you just won't be able to find in any other restaurants. Big, beautiful building, nice bar, great food. A little fancy, but not formal.

5. Smoke on the Water - another BBQ place, fancier, in the downtown area. Very scenic. If you have the time, try to walk around downtown Greenville during the day, it is beautiful along the river.

6. White Duck Taco Shop - OK, this one is a bit hard to find, so bear with me. There is an old industrial area right off the railroad tracks that has been gentrified into breweries and eateries. You have to drive north on Pete Hollis Blvd, cross over the railroad tracks, and then hang a couple of lefts back towards the railroad tracks. This taco spot is worth the drive and effort, but make sure you use Google Maps to find it.

7. For the Cubans in the crowd, Mad Cuban Cafe (Simpsonville) - near the corner of Fairview Road and Harrison Bridge Road (both roads are exits off of 385), this might be the only Cuban spot in the whole area, but it is surprisingly good. Not fancy, but they do good Cuban sandwiches and they will add stuff to the sandwich before pressing. I would get the Cuban and add plantains and croquetas.

8. Stella's Southern Bistro (Simpsonville) - across Fairview from Mad Cuban Cafe, this place is fantastic. A bit fancy, but it's stlll Southern food. Come on now.

9. Stax Omega Diner & Bakery - near Haywood & Pelham, this place is fantastic for breakfast and is usually packed.

10. Sidewall Pizza Company - this is a local chain, but it's **** good, I usually went to the one on Pelham by Bacon Brothers.

There are a bunch of good places in downtown as well. If you are interested in any other spots, just ask.

White duck is solid, but the one in Asheville is much better to me than that one.

Advertisement
One of my favorite spots is sachas on a pleasantburg. Good little Colombian spot. Bertolos pizza in downtown is good. Clean eatz on Pelham road has some good healthy food. Vitos pizzeria in Greer is good as well as petes across the street.

So there’s literally nothing to eat or do actually in Clemson? Every single place mentioned on this thread is 20+ mins from the campus. What kind of weird *** cult is Dabo running up there? Obviously the church of money but everybody has money. These kids really go to a place where the nearest spot is a half hour away? Blows my mind.

I'm planning on boneless baby back rib sandwiches on kaiser rolls for the game. My options are:
A. McRib - diced onion and spicy pickles.
B. Park Av - bacon, swiss, and grilled onions.

Advertisement
So there’s literally nothing to eat or do actually in Clemson? Every single place mentioned on this thread is 20+ mins from the campus. What kind of weird *** cult is Dabo running up there? Obviously the church of money but everybody has money. These kids really go to a place where the nearest spot is a half hour away? Blows my mind.

Basically.

Actually, the campus is very scenic, but if I were to give directions/restaurant advice to UM fans who are coming in from out of town, I'd say to stay away from the campus until game time. What is there to do in Gainesville? What is there to do in Tallahassee?

There are some nice "campus-oriented" spots in Clemson, but it's not really for us adults.

I'm planning on boneless baby back rib sandwiches on kaiser rolls for the game. My options are:
A. McRib - diced onion and spicy pickles.
B. Park Av - bacon, swiss, and grilled onions.

B. Although I might take the diced onion from A and replace the grilled onions from B.

On the rare occasions I ever go to McDonald's (late night drives), I get the double cheeseburgers with just cheese and those McDonald's diced onions. It has a feel kinda like an old-fashioned diner slider.

Basically.

Actually, the campus is very scenic, but if I were to give directions/restaurant advice to UM fans who are coming in from out of town, I'd say to stay away from the campus until game time. What is there to do in Gainesville? What is there to do in Tallahassee?

There are some nice "campus-oriented" spots in Clemson, but it's not really for us adults.

There’s infinitely more things to do within 20 minutes of the UF or FSU campuses than there is in Clemson. Not that they’re big cities or anything, of course. But they’re all self-contained. The women are all within 10 minutes. The bars are all within 10 minutes. The restaurants, the hotels, etc. The first time I went to clemson i asked someone where to stay, they said “Greenville”. So we did. Then I realized it’s half hour away. Wtf does Dabo show these kids on visits? Jimmy John’s?

Advertisement
There’s infinitely more things to do within 20 minutes of the UF or FSU campuses than there is in Clemson. Not that they’re big cities or anything, of course. But they’re all self-contained. The women are all within 10 minutes. The bars are all within 10 minutes. The restaurants, the hotels, etc. The first time I went to clemson i asked someone where to stay, they said “Greenville”. So we did. Then I realized it’s half hour away. Wtf does Dabo show these kids on visits? Jimmy John’s?

I hear ya. But you also have to remember that Gainesville has only recently built those hotels. UF itself had to arrange for that Hilton to be built on 34th Street (I remember when it wasn't there) and since that time, a few motels have been built along I-75. And there is an interstate that goes through Tally too.

But there's no interstate through Clemson, and it IS South Carolina. There's not a lot out there, and that's how those crackers like it.

I definitely understand what you're saying, but there's a lot of kids who fall for that southern rural college town atmosphere bullsh!te. Hopefully that will change in the future.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back