OT: Restaurant and Food Thread - Clemson version

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
Places to go in Greenville/Clemson area:

1. The Smokin' Pig (EASLEY) - The Clemson location of this joint has been featured on many shows, including College GameDay, but do yourself a favor and go to the one in Easley. It is much larger and easier to get a table. This location is right off of US 123 between Greenville and Clemson. They bring you cracklins instead of bread. One of my 2 favorite BBQ joints in the area, this one is more of a sit-down restaurant.

2. Smoky Dreams - Woodruff Road, near the Five Forks area. I love love love this place, it's a tiny joint that has an outside smoker, a mix of indoor and outdoor seating, and a takeout window. Amazing stuff and a nice variety of sauces. Only open 4 days a week, and is right next to a McDonalds, so don't drive past it.

3. Bacon Brothers Public House - Pelham Road and 85, near the airport. The name says it all. The owners and chefs are very creative, the name kinda says it all, a nice variety of meats (particularly bacon). A bit more of a combo bar/restaurant, this place is usually crowded.

4. Saskatoon Steaks, Fish and Wild Game - Haywood Road, about a mile south of the mall. Again, the name describes the place, they have a very wide assortment of wild game meat that you just won't be able to find in any other restaurants. Big, beautiful building, nice bar, great food. A little fancy, but not formal.

5. Smoke on the Water - another BBQ place, fancier, in the downtown area. Very scenic. If you have the time, try to walk around downtown Greenville during the day, it is beautiful along the river.

6. White Duck Taco Shop - OK, this one is a bit hard to find, so bear with me. There is an old industrial area right off the railroad tracks that has been gentrified into breweries and eateries. You have to drive north on Pete Hollis Blvd, cross over the railroad tracks, and then hang a couple of lefts back towards the railroad tracks. This taco spot is worth the drive and effort, but make sure you use Google Maps to find it.

7. For the Cubans in the crowd, Mad Cuban Cafe (Simpsonville) - near the corner of Fairview Road and Harrison Bridge Road (both roads are exits off of 385), this might be the only Cuban spot in the whole area, but it is surprisingly good. Not fancy, but they do good Cuban sandwiches and they will add stuff to the sandwich before pressing. I would get the Cuban and add plantains and croquetas.

8. Stella's Southern Bistro (Simpsonville) - across Fairview from Mad Cuban Cafe, this place is fantastic. A bit fancy, but it's stlll Southern food. Come on now.

9. Stax Omega Diner & Bakery - near Haywood & Pelham, this place is fantastic for breakfast and is usually packed.

10. Sidewall Pizza Company - this is a local chain, but it's **** good, I usually went to the one on Pelham by Bacon Brothers.

There are a bunch of good places in downtown as well. If you are interested in any other spots, just ask.

Advertisement

1. The Smokin' Pig (EASLEY) - The Clemson location of this joint has been featured on many shows, including College GameDay, but do yourself a favor and go to the one in Easley. It is much larger and easier to get a table. This location is right off of US 123 between Greenville and Clemson. They bring you cracklins instead of bread. One of my 2 favorite BBQ joints in the area, this one is more of a sit-down restaurant.

2. Smoky Dreams - Woodruff Road, near the Five Forks area. I love love love this place, it's a tiny joint that has an outside smoker, a mix of indoor and outdoor seating, and a takeout window. Amazing stuff and a nice variety of sauces. Only open 4 days a week, and is right next to a McDonalds, so don't drive past it.

3. Bacon Brothers Public House - Pelham Road and 85, near the airport. The name says it all. The owners and chefs are very creative, the name kinda says it all, a nice variety of meats (particularly bacon). A bit more of a combo bar/restaurant, this place is usually crowded.

4. Saskatoon Steaks, Fish and Wild Game - Haywood Road, about a mile south of the mall. Again, the name describes the place, they have a very wide assortment of wild game meat that you just won't be able to find in any other restaurants. Big, beautiful building, nice bar, great food. A little fancy, but not formal.

5. Smoke on the Water - another BBQ place, fancier, in the downtown area. Very scenic. If you have the time, try to walk around downtown Greenville during the day, it is beautiful along the river.

6. White Duck Taco Shop - OK, this one is a bit hard to find, so bear with me. There is an old industrial area right off the railroad tracks that has been gentrified into breweries and eateries. You have to drive north on Pete Hollis Blvd, cross over the railroad tracks, and then hang a couple of lefts back towards the railroad tracks. This taco spot is worth the drive and effort, but make sure you use Google Maps to find it.

7. For the Cubans in the crowd, Mad Cuban Cafe (Simpsonville) - near the corner of Fairview Road and Harrison Bridge Road (both roads are exits off of 385), this might be the only Cuban spot in the whole area, but it is surprisingly good. Not fancy, but they do good Cuban sandwiches and they will add stuff to the sandwich before pressing. I would get the Cuban and add plantains and croquetas.

8. Stella's Southern Bistro (Simpsonville) - across Fairview from Mad Cuban Cafe, this place is fantastic. A bit fancy, but it's stlll Southern food. Come on now.

9. Stax Omega Diner & Bakery - near Haywood & Pelham, this place is fantastic for breakfast and is usually packed.

10. Sidewall Pizza Company - this is a local chain, but it's **** good, I usually went to the one on Pelham by Bacon Brothers.

There are a bunch of good places in downtown as well. If you are interested in any other spots, just ask.
DT Greenville has some **** good food I must say.

What's the best spot for dinner Friday night? I'll be in town around 5:00. Somewhere to go for happy hour then a walk to a good restaurant for dinner would be great.

What's the best spot for dinner Friday night? I'll be in town around 5:00. Somewhere to go for happy hour then a walk to a good restaurant for dinner would be great.

Any of the Top 5 (plus number 8). However, Smoky Dreams closes early, so take that one off the Friday night list.

Look up the menus, see which one you like best.

Advertisement
The Smokin Pig is absolutely FIRE...went there the last time we played Clemson back in 2010

The Smokin Pig is absolutely FIRE...went there the last time we played Clemson back in 2010

You would have gone to the original (Clemson) location, correct (in 2010)?

Yes, the BBQ is FIRE, and you'll have a better chance of getting into the Easley location. MUCH larger restaurant.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Smoke on the Water is especially nice when there's a fire in the sky. We usually end up back at the Grand Hotel afterwards, but its always empty for some reason.

Some good breweries too... Birds Fly South is right next door to White Duck. 8th State Brewing is also top notch.

Have not been, but hear good things about Oak Hill, Topsoil, and The Anchorage for more upscale type of places. I think their location of Husk is closed, but Sean Brock is not involved with them anymore anyways.

Some good breweries too... Birds Fly South is right next door to White Duck. 8th State Brewing is also top notch.

Have not been, but hear good things about Oak Hill, Topsoil, and The Anchorage for more upscale type of places. I think their location of Husk is closed, but Sean Brock is not involved with them anymore anyways.

I went to The Anchorage once, it's one of the places downtown that I liked, but it wasn't my favorite. "Small plates". Motherfvcker, bring me some food!

Just kidding (a bit). Never got to Topsoil, it's up in Traveler's Rest. Drove past it while driving up to the NASCAR race in Bristol.

Missed out on Oak Hill, though it's in the same basic direction as White Duck.

I went to The Anchorage once, it's one of the places downtown that I liked, but it wasn't my favorite. "Small plates". Motherfvcker, bring me some food!

Just kidding (a bit). Never got to Topsoil, it's up in Traveler's Rest. Drove past it while driving up to the NASCAR race in Bristol.

Missed out on Oak Hill, though it's in the same basic direction as White Duck.
How I hate the small plate. I hope it ends with Covid. I don't need to hear a 10 minute shpiel about we cook what is local and in season, and I do not want to hear that "Chef will send food out as it is ready." If I order a salad or traditional starter, a pasta dish, and a steak dish, send it out in that order. Do not send me the steak first, and definitely do not send them all out at the same time. And if I am a table of four, do not give me 3 of anything. In fact, just make portions 2 or 4, because that is logical, since most tables will be in some multiple of 2.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How I hate the small plate. It hope it ends with Covid. I don't need to hear a 10 minute shpiel about we cook what is local and in season, and I do not want to hear that "Chef will send food out as it is ready." If I order a salad or traditional starter, a pasta dish, and a steak dish, send it out in that order. Do not send me the steak first, and definitely do not send them all out at the same time. And if I am a table of four, do not give me 3 of anything. In fact, just make portions 2 or 4, because that is logical, since most tables will be in some multiple of 2.

We need to get @RVACane to hit up the ownership for a "chef's kiss" emoji.

Yeah, those inland areas of NC/SC have some amazing local food sources, but it doesn't have to be turned into some sort of Top Chef story/foo-foo presentation. That's why I loved Bacon Brothers so much, the two owners were really passionate about local mean (particularly pork) and it really showed in the menu and the food.

And Smokin Pig/Smoky Dreams are two of my all-time favorite BBQ places (behind Franklin and Valentina's, both in Austin).

I freely admit it, I love southern food (southern people are usually a disappointment, but the food isn't), and there are some great places in the triangle from Simpsonville to Spartanburg to Clemson, with Greenville being the centerpoint.

For those making the trip, enjoy the food!

We need to get @RVACane to hit up the ownership for a "chef's kiss" emoji.

Yeah, those inland areas of NC/SC have some amazing local food sources, but it doesn't have to be turned into some sort of Top Chef story/foo-foo presentation. That's why I loved Bacon Brothers so much, the two owners were really passionate about local mean (particularly pork) and it really showed in the menu and the food.

And Smokin Pig/Smoky Dreams are two of my all-time favorite BBQ places (behind Franklin and Valentina's, both in Austin).

I freely admit it, I love southern food (southern people are usually a disappointment, but the food isn't), and there are some great places in the triangle from Simpsonville to Spartanburg to Clemson, with Greenville being the centerpoint.

For those making the trip, enjoy the food!
I grew up in South Florida but have been in the South for 10 years now, plus 5 years in New Orleans, which is its own thing separate from the South. It is an interesting part of the country to live in - good points, bad points as everywhere. There is a small publication called the Bitter Southerner that is great. They do a lot of articles on the history of the south, the New South, and all points in between. It is a complicated region with plenty of warts, but it is also the source of a lot of culture, food and music specifically.

As for the food, I love it. There are so many cool regional dishes and variations of things, and as many traditions to match (black eyed peas and collard green on New Years Day for luck and prosperity being my favorite). You look at how traditions and foods from the slaves bringing African and Caribbean influences, and how that mixed with the German, English, and Irish settlers, and it is the original melting pot.

Look at any BBQ restaurant menu and you see it clear as day... slow cooked meats and fried chicken were from the slaves originally adapting to cook the tougher (i.e. cheaper) meats into something edible, beans from Britain, collards from West Africa, potato salad from Germany, and on down the line.

I love me some Canes football, but food is not very far behind.

I grew up in South Florida but have been in the South for 10 years now, plus 5 years in New Orleans, which is its own thing separate from the South. It is an interesting part of the country to live in - good points, bad points as everywhere. There is a small publication called the Bitter Southerner that is great. They do a lot of articles on the history of the south, the New South, and all points in between. It is a complicated region with plenty of warts, but it is also the source of a lot of culture, food and music specifically.

As for the food, I love it. There are so many cool regional dishes and variations of things, and as many traditions to match (black eyed peas and collard green on New Years Day for luck and prosperity being my favorite). You look at how traditions and foods from the slaves bringing African and Caribbean influences, and how that mixed with the German, English, and Irish settlers, and it is the original melting pot.

Look at any BBQ restaurant menu and you see it clear as day... slow cooked meats and fried chicken were from the slaves originally adapting to cook the tougher (i.e. cheaper) meats into something edible, beans from Britain, collards from West Africa, potato salad from Germany, and on down the line.

I love me some Canes football, but food is not very far behind.
It's funny you mentioned it because a friend mentioned this article recently.

Advertisement
It's funny you mentioned it because a friend mentioned this article recently.

They have some great storytellers. The python hunters one is wild:

But really, all of their stories are done well. The Angola Prison, the revival of Florida's oyster industry, and the Moonshine ones were some other recent favorites.

Scrambled Eggs Reaction GIF

There's a place in Clemson.

Not sure of the name, but it's a rare occasion that a special meal is served up. It's been several years since the last time.

1 Avenue of Champions, Clemson, SC 29634

The dish is Tiger, get it medium rare. Hope it's served next weekend.

Advertisement
Back