OT: Reason for so many NCAA transfers this off-season

Advertisement
Another company man. Believes the company should have complete domain over employees.
Definitely not a company man far far from it. Just a person that believes your word and commitment should mean something is all. Before you go all coaches and AD can do it why not the player I get it just saying having a pseudo college free agency in my opinion is not good for the game.

When one of my fellow classmates signed with the University of Michigan out of high school, he said he was partly going to Michigan because Michigan lined up a job for his parents out there. It's not off-the-wall to think they Michigan was "paying" this player in a roundabout way by giving his mom and dad a premium job. In this case, I know the player's father was actively looking for a job back in '09.

And then you see all of the transfers this season..

Are they transferring because the schools ultimately could not uphold their end of the bargain due to Covid-19 shoring up all the extra job opportunities?

It's as if the bags that were promised are no longer there.

Someone prove me wrong on this please!
JF fam got big "bag" to go to a certain SEC school just east of ATL that I can stand, but he transferred out anyway. 🤣😜

So, the kid signs because they give his dad a job at the local car dealership. Then, covid closes down the dealership and there are no jobs and the owner doesn’t have the spare cash to keep dad on payroll. Now, dad is unemployed again but stuck in Nebraska. He might as well hang out with his friends in Miami. That makes sense.

Advertisement
This is actually a good topic and interesting for discussion. There are no doubt bags in play that influence many of the choices these young men make for their college career. However as one of the old school folks on this board I still buy in to the old cane belief that when our canes are winning there is nobody we can't snag in our quest to build a fence around the state of Miami. I firmly believe that when we are winning consistently and have consistent quality coaching with little turnover, we are in a unique position to dominate college football for extended periods of time. Yes times have changed, but we have seen this evidenced many times since 1982. Call me whatever you want, but I am of the opinion that if Manny can win consistently and meet expectations he will prove once again how insignificant the bagman can be, or how powerful the state of Miami truly is. Time will surely tell as it always has....

I'm an old guy who remembers those days and I'm with ya Brother, but Canes Football unfortunately trends against that happening. You have to win it consistently, then consistency in winning has to be exhibited for a couple years, with at least some coastal and maybe a conference title, before that starts happening. A lot of ifs that we haven't come close to now for 20 years running. Maybe the Curse of the OB...

Maybe it’s because the bags aren’t a binding contract and players are realizing they can do whatever they want, especially after they sign. Or it’s because the twitter generation always sees greener pastures on the other side of the fence...or both
Here's a question...what is the statute of limitations on an NCAA violation?

Let's say Michigan recruit Jimmy Harbaughnovich signs with the Wolverines and is promised $200K annually, with the initial first year payment immediately given upon LOE.

Then Harbaughnovich decides after two months to transfer to Ohio State, but keeps that first year payment from the bag man.

Let's say the statute of limitations on an NCAA violation is ten years.

During year 11, could the bagman theoretically sue Jimmy Harbaughnovich for leaving the Wolverines and breaking a verbal contract?

Bags are illegal. And people are asking why people engaged in the illegal activity are not behaving ethically???

:pgdead:

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back