OT: Rap Fans

Advertisement
Short officially came out in 89, NWA came out in 87.
Short officially came out in 85 with Don't Stop Rappin and released Born To Mack in 1987. Which was re-released by Jive in 1988 and re-released on CD in 89. Born To Mack was released in 87 3 months prior to NWA record and year before Straight Out Of Compton.

Yes he didn't pick up steam by most for his material was hard to package due to how raw it was, but he was out before 89. Life Is...Too Short was released in 1988 and is his most successful album and is considered to be the album that even gave him notice.

BRUHHH!!! BDP came out with criminal minded in 86 and they were actually about that life. Philly was doing it even earlier, but not as popular with Schoolly D, Cool C, and the tough crew. All of them were about that life too. I fvck with NWA but they basically made being a studio gangster cool.
Everyone saw me in the last album cover. Holding a pistol something far from a lover. -My Philosophy. BDP

BRUHHH!!! BDP came out with criminal minded in 86 and they were actually about that life. Philly was doing it even earlier, but not as popular with Schoolly D, Cool C, and the tough crew. All of them were about that life too. I fvck with NWA but they basically made being a studio gangster cool.
Thank you, u beat me to it! Schoolly D, BDP, and the Hilltop Hustlers originated all of that.

Short officially came out in 85 with Don't Stop Rappin and released Born To Mack in 1987. Which was re-released by Jive in 1988 and re-released on CD in 89. Born To Mack was released in 87 3 months prior to NWA record and year before Straight Out Of Compton.

Yes he didn't pick up steam by most for his material was hard to package due to how raw it was, but he was out before 89. Life Is...Too Short was released in 1988 and is his most successful album and is considered to be the album that even gave him notice.

Short still wasn't gangsta; He was just calling females b's and hoes and talking about crack fiends. Lol. No one would consider Short gangsta rap. He was just vulgar, but he didn't even get his due til the very end of 80's. NWA was starting riots and adding fuel to gang violence. lol. E-Z was a real Crip and so was Ren. This was the first time real gang bangers were on the mic spitting and this changed hip hop forever.

Advertisement

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuh??! Studio Gangstas?? LOL. You do realize EZ is a real Kelly Park Compton Crip, right? lol. Like jumped in, Crip. Not Chris Brown or Soulja Boy like. lol.

I'll definitely give Schoolly D all props. Matter fact, how can I skip over Ice-T!!! Realistically, he was the first WC gangsta rapper. He was rapping about the 60 Crips and being a hustler waaaaaaaaaay before NWA. But Schoolly was rapping about gangsta chit first. P.S.K forgot all about that. It was first song about making money by any means necessary, and Ice-T came out w/ "6 in the mornin'"

Dang man, this is bringing back so much nostalgia. lol.

Last edited:
As far as reality rap goes, I always thought the last verse of Spoonie G's Love Rap was the first reality rap song...the reverb on that verse is sick!!!

Advertisement
Short still wasn't gangsta; He was just calling females b's and hoes and talking about crack fiends. Lol. No one would consider Short gangsta rap. He was just vulgar, but he didn't even get his due til the very end of 80's. NWA was starting riots and adding fuel to gang violence. lol. E-Z was a real Crip and so was Ren. This was the first time real gang bangers were on the mic spitting and this changed hip hop forever.
Wasn't saying Short was gangsta rap. Just stating he was cursing and vulgar before them dudes.

Wait, wait, wait, wait.......

Do NYC get credit for creating hip hop? Absolutely, but to say they are the capital of rap is far fetched. And B-More? Yay Area?????? Look, I'm in the Yay, they have their own style w/ everything, but you are tripping disrespecting Compton like this. They are the creators of gangsta rap.

While East Coast was rapping:
"I said a hip hop,
The hippie to the hippie
The hip hip a hop, and you don't stop, a rock it
To the bang bang boogie, say up jump the boogie,
To the rhythm of the boogie, the beat.
A Skiddleebebop, we rock, scooby doo,
And guess what, America, we love you"

And

"I ain't no joke, I used to let the mic smoke
Now I slam it when I'm done and make sure it's broke
When I'm gone no one gets on cause I won't let
Nobody press up and mess up the scene I set
I like to stand in a crowd and watch the people wonder ****
But think about it then you'll understand"

Compton was rapping about:
"Fck the police comin' straight from the underground
A young ninja got it bad 'cause I'm brown
And not the other color so police think
They have the authority to kill a minority
Fck that chit, 'cause I ain't the one
For a punk motherfcker with a badge and a gun"

And

"Straight outta Compton, crazy motherfcker named Ice Cube
From the gang called Ninja's With Attitudes
When I'm called off, I got a sawed off
Squeeze the trigger, and bodies are hauled off
You too, boy, if ya fck with me
The police are gonna hafta come and get me"

They made it cool to curse, be vulgar, and talk about murder on wax. Changed the whole rap game.

Naw mane...was saying those are the places Pac grew up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'll definitely give Schoolly D all props. Matter fact, how can I skip over Ice-T!!! Realistically, he was the first WC gangsta rapper. He was rapping about the 60 Crips and being a hustler waaaaaaaaaay before NWA. But Schoolly was rapping about gangsta chit first. P.S.K forgot all about that. It was first song about making money by any means necessary, and Ice-T came out w/ "6 in the mornin'"

Dang man, this is bringing back so much nostalgia. lol.
Facts, but Ice T was a Jersey dude.

For NWA though. They also had dudes like Dre who wasn't banging at all. And when I meant studio Gs. I didn't mean they were all Dr Dre level. I just meant you have Ice Cube and Eazy E talking about how they were basically super gangsters like in natural born killers. I'm cool with exaggeration, but they were the next level.

At the end of the day though. If fvck with all of them and gotta give respect to NWA for bringing it to the real main stream.

KDOT, Cole, and Joey Bada$$ are at the top for me in terms of guys with quality lyricism who also put out quality music. Can’t sleep on Travis or Drake either imo.

Artists like JID, Denzel Curry (my avatar), YBN Cordae, Ski Mask (definitely forgetting people) are just some of the newer names who are putting out quality shît
You **** with EarthGang???

You **** with EarthGang???
Lil bit, I know them mostly from that Dreamville project that came out last year. Otherwise, I love their songs Meditate and ready to die. Need to fvck w/ them a lil more tho they’re dope.

Last concert I went to JID was performing and Johnny Venus was there, great performer. Need to listen to more Earthgang for sure!

Advertisement
Back