OT Prep School recruits

da truth

1st team All-American
What’s happened to prep school recruits? only a handful of them on 247 last few years but used to be a lot. I think 2013 was the last time we brought in a prep recruit (Sonny and Fig)

Advertisement
What’s happened to prep school recruits? only a handful of them on 247 last few years but used to be a lot. I think 2013 was the last time we brought in a prep recruit (Sonny and Fig)

Might seem shocking, but FINALLY the high schools are doing a better job of prepping these kids to qualify the first time. Academic non-qualifiers are on the decline overall, not just for UM.

TVD came from a Prep school but wasnt classified as a prep recruit on 247
Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at, the IMGs seem to have replaced the old school "prep" types like Hargrave, MontV, Milford and such.

Advertisement
There are less kids with academic issues now than in previous years...

Connecticut of all states has a good prep school system but all those kids seem to go Big Ten

TVD came from a Prep school but wasnt classified as a prep recruit on 247
You may know this info already but clarifying it if you do not

Kids classified as prep recruits are 5th year students. For example, Donovan Mitchell attended Brewster Academy as a high school student. Zaire Wade graduated from Sierra Canyon but attended Brewster Academy as a post high school prep student to improve himself before attending college. So Zaire is a prep recruit while Donovan (or TVD) was not.

Kids classified as prep recruits are 5th year students. For example, Donovan Mitchell attended Brewster Academy as a high school student. Zaire Wade graduated from Sierra Canyon but attended Brewster Academy as a post high school prep student to improve himself before attending college. So Zaire is a prep recruit while Donovan (or TVD) was not.
Did not. Thanks

Advertisement

Yea this is correct. More and more students are reclassifying before their senior year. A kid may reclassify in the 9th grade before they become a big time recruit. Even in the New England Oreo school leagues their high school students stay for 5 years. Avon, Suffield’s, and Proctor’s of the worlds. They don’t consider them PG’s they consider them seniors within that graduating class.

Milford, Hargrave and them are still around...certain schools still get guys from there.

Its not as prevalent as before but there are still schools doing the sign n place. Also with Last Chance U gainging popularity...alot of kids have went the juco route more than often

Milford, Hargrave and them are still around...certain schools still get guys from there.

Its not as prevalent as before but there are still schools doing the sign n place. Also with Last Chance U gainging popularity...alot of kids have went the juco route more than often
Which is weird because imo LCU did not paint juco in a positive light but these kids love it. You’re right. I also mention kids reclassifying at earlier ages in my previous post.

Oh yea another thing, theres a lot of money grab Preps popping up up too. Many of these coaches don’t know what they are doing. They just start a makeshift class at a storefront, charge kids tens of thousands of dollars telling them they could come play for them without their eligibility being impacted even though many of them need to go juco. I have even seen these programs recruit college kids saying telling them the same thing.

Advertisement
Which is weird because imo LCU did not paint juco in a positive light but these kids love it. You’re right. I also mention kids reclassifying at earlier ages in my previous post.

Oh yea another thing, theres a lot of money grab Preps popping up up too. Many of these coaches don’t know what they are doing. They just start a makeshift class at a storefront, charge kids tens of thousands of dollars telling them they could come play for them without their eligibility being impacted even though many of them need to go juco. I have even seen these programs recruit college kids saying telling them the same thing.
There has been like 3 or 4 of them pop up in s.fla int he last 2-3 years. The crazy thing is i dont know if they have sent any kids div 1 or fcs. One was with former cane qb out of Deerfield Crudup...i seen it maybe a few weeks ago in a store front in Pompano Beach.

Last Chance U...though didnt fully paint in a positive light..gave some exposure...Enough to make these kids have something to BRAG about on social media. "Im committing to "Western Ontario North west Community College #LastChanceU"

There has been like 3 or 4 of them pop up in s.fla int he last 2-3 years. The crazy thing is i dont know if they have sent any kids div 1 or fcs. One was with former cane qb out of Deerfield Crudup...i seen it maybe a few weeks ago in a store front in Pompano Beach.

Last Chance U...though didnt fully paint in a positive light..gave some exposure...Enough to make these kids have something to BRAG about on social media. "Im committing to "Western Ontario North west Community College #LastChanceU"
Man it’s a lot of them doing it. It’s sad. They aren’t helping the kids because they don’t know what they are doing. And I heard of the prep Cruduo started. I heard some sketchy things about that prep program. I also know a few things about that program. Imo, just turn it into a club football team. The ncaa allows kids to play 1 year of amateur sports after graduating hs and it doesn’t affect their eligibility. Man these programs getting juco, NAIA, D2 and D3 athletes talking about it won’t hurt their eligibility. That’s a lie. It will. Just turn it into a club team or semi pro team.

Yea you’re right about LCU giving kids something to brag about. Some kids were quick to reach out to Indy after they saw LCU smh... I’m not against juco. It’s needed but Indy and East Mississippi were crap programs as far as coaching. They didn’t develop talent they just got all the talent. I actually liked Laney though.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at, the IMGs seem to have replaced the old school "prep" types like Hargrave, MontV, Milford and such.
I think josh jobe was a prep school guy. I think we sent him there. He screwed us and took his teddy bear with him to Alabama.

I swear I saw a video when he first turned up at Bama. It showed teammates knocking on his door to wake him up (he was oversleeping because after all that’s what elderly people do—sleep a lot) and they found him sleeping with a teddy bear.
Does anybody else remember that video?

Advertisement
Might seem shocking, but FINALLY the high schools are doing a better job of prepping these kids to qualify the first time. Academic non-qualifiers are on the decline overall, not just for UM.
Back in the ‘80’s I used to follow recruiting from up here in the North. I’d read all the recruiting publications and from time-to-time talk to my friends in South Florida who really followed recruiting very closely. One guy was regularly in the recruiting office; others had free reign of Hecht for various reasons.

We had to back off so many really good prospects in S Fla. Dade schools seemed to be a particular problem. I guess some of the public schools were very bad. Maybe they’ve improved the schools. I think a lot of kids are now more accepting of some degree of academic work ethic and they buckle down. My friends also said that the subjects were not that difficult—most kids could do well enough to qualify but didn’t “get it” until it was too late and they couldn’t get into UM or any other school.
We had to deal with Prop 48 or else sending kids to JUCO or prep schools. Sometimes we wanted them back sometimes we didn’t. Two guys whom I remember screwed us by not coming back after we placed them were Lawrence Wright who went to UF and Josh Jobe whom I think is living in a senior condo in The Villages. Oh wait, I keep getting him confused with someone else.

Advertisement
Back