OT: PJ Fleck gets Golden contract

ball915

All-American
Sitting at 5-6 in his first season at Minnesota PJ Fleck gets an extension through 2023 today.

170107_gophers_fleck_21.jpg

Advertisement
It’s Minnesota...they make a bowl game and they go all nutso.

Advertisement
People act like every coach has to come in and go 11-2 in year one. Like Brady Hoke at Michigan, who turned out to be abysmal. Every indication is that Fleck is a **** good football coach.

Tracy Claeys went 9-4 last season at Minn and got fired for supporting a student protest.

Not really seeing why Fleck deserves an extension or praise for his coaching performance yet.

Advertisement
Being from Minnesota I have to laugh at this a little. Nothing like 5 wins to appreciate 9 wins

Advertisement
Minnesota has no delusions on who they are. They don’t expect Fleck to win national titles, they just want a reasonable program that can have its day in the sun every 3-5 years when the stars align and Fleck can develop some under the radar guys.

I think that’s the exact job he needs because I’m not sure his style will play with elite recruits. And it’s B1G West, which is the easier division. He can be their Kirk Ferentz, and stay forever if he wins 6-8 every year, with an occasional 10 to bridge the gap until hoops season.

Golden fell victim to the Peter Principle. A job like Minnesota or Illinois or Indiana or Purdue or Vandy is the place for him and the style of play he wants.

It will be interesting to see if Bielema and Brohm just trade jobs. Although I could also see him replacing Lovie Smith.

The problem with the Golden Goofers is HOCKEY.The big and the strong want to play
hockey.There 6 D-1 college hockey teams in the state.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back