OT Paul Chryst fired at Wisconsin

Advertisement
Monumentally stupid move by UW. Guy was 67-26 (.720) in his time there. Recent years haven’t been as good as his first few, but they’re not landing a better coach than him.
Monumentally smart move. I just graduated from Wisco and if u took away Jonathan Taylor the last 5 years of Wisco football has been so underwhelming (even though they'd still win 10 games every other year lol). Chryst has gotten stale, the reason they fired him is cause they know Jim Leonhard is that guy and his time is now. He's gonna have a Dave Aranda type of impact on Wisco imo

Wisconsin won like 13 games the year they beat us in the orange bowl I think. Their only loss being in the b10 champ game. This seems like the kind of firing that is done after the season ends on a “mutual parting of ways” basis considering he’s an alum

Advertisement
I think Chryst might end up at Ga Tech, would be the best hire they could make. Not an option coach but run heavy and can develop 3 stars with the best of them which is exactly Ga Tech needs
Actually this would make perfect sense and be a great hire for them. Although I think they need an offensive mastermind or triple option coach to be successful

Actually this would make perfect sense and be a great hire for them. Although I think they need an offensive mastermind or triple option coach to be successful
The triple option needs to die. GT is in plenty of fertile recruiting ground to get actual athletes for them to run a wide open offensive system. They will never recruit to the level of in-state "rival" UGA, but there's plenty of good hs football being played in the state (and regional area) where they can recruit some good offensive talents. Remember, Calvin Johnson and Demariyus Thomas (R.I.P.) were both homegrown talents that played at Tech.

The triple option needs to die. GT is in plenty of fertile recruiting ground to get actual athletes for them to run a wide open offensive system. They will never recruit to the level of in-state "rival" UGA, but there's plenty of good hs football being played in the state (and regional area) where they can recruit some good offensive talents. Remember, Calvin Johnson and Demariyus Thomas (R.I.P.) were both homegrown talents that played at Tech.
The issue with their program is that it’s hard to get talented kids in to school. Plus limited majors with a focus on STEM. As an engineer I can tell you if I had also been an athlete I would have failed out. But everyone’s different and I’m by no means a genius.

Now comes the portal. Look at Gibbs. Sabag with the easy pitch: “hey Gibbs stop taking math and come to bama for a year before being a 1-3 round draft pick and focusing solely on your football and then your testing numbers”

Advertisement
The issue with their program is that it’s hard to get talented kids in to school. Plus limited majors with a focus on STEM. As an engineer I can tell you if I had also been an athlete I would have failed out. But everyone’s different and I’m by no means a genius.

Now comes the portal. Look at Gibbs. Sabag with the easy pitch: “hey Gibbs stop taking math and come to bama for a year before being a 1-3 round draft pick and focusing solely on your football and then your testing numbers”
Isn't the GPA requirements different for scholarship atheletes, even at a school like GA Tech? UM has somewhat strict academic requirements, majority of the players on the football team would not get in if it weren't for football schollys. I'm pretty sure that every player currently on Tech's roster was not strong academically coming out of high school. Now the limited major options is definitely something that could turn away potential commits.

Isn't the GPA requirements different for scholarship atheletes, even at a school like GA Tech? UM has somewhat strict academic requirements, majority of the players on the football team would not get in if it weren't for football schollys. I'm pretty sure that every player currently on Tech's roster was not strong academically coming out of high school. Now the limited major options is definitely something that could turn away potential commits.
It’s different for sure. But look at Stanford struggling. Same principle. Plus grad transfer issues cause grad school there is tough to get into

Certainly, but you still have the GT athletes different requirements being much higher than Alabama or UGA athletes requirements.

Badger here… it’s a bit surprising they did this mid year, but I'd been expecting this to be the last year for Chryst. He's an offensive coach and for the past few years its been the offense holding the team back. Mertz hasn't panned out as expected but there is also nobody behind him really pushing for the job... that's coaching and recruiting. The offense really hasn't evolved at all in the past few years and has been entirely dependent on individual players being great (Johnathan Taylor & Braelon Allen).

Barry Alvarez is no longer the AD, but Leonhard has been de facto HCIW. Hes still very young, and only has a 5 years in as a college level position coach / coordinator. I think this gives Wisconsin time to eval Leonhard as HC and still have an opportunity to hire outside if they have to. Its Leonhard's job to lose at this point, I see more Leipold talk nationally than I do locally.

Advertisement

It is different than regular students, but Wisconsin does have higher academic requirements for athletes than most schools. Gary Anderson had it out with Barry Alvarez and the UW administration because he had so many guys he was recruiting were not being admitted to the school. He was out after 2 seasons.

I couldn't tell you right now what the minimums are for athletes. However, I did a ton of research into the issue on ACC schools back in 2005. Essentially, there were three things to look at in terms of where schools differ:

1) Minimum academic requirements;
2) How many players they are willing to admit at the minimum (This can vary widely. Schools may have the same minimums, but some may have half the team admitted at or near the minimum, while some will take fewer);
3) Sliding scale (i.e., we will break our test score req if you have a better GPA (and vice versa). This one can get super complicated.

Once admitted, there are also issues of academic probation, and class requirements of the schools to stay eligible.

Advertisement
If Leonhard gets passed up for an opportunity as HC (not interim status)....he gone.

And I know the perfect place for him...even though DC goes to Charlie if/when Steele bolts.

Leonhard likely winds up replacing Narduzzi at Pitt....he's gotta be one of the next coordinators to get a HC job.

Maybe Gattis would take the HC job at Wisconsin...offensive concept would definitely match the personnel

Leonhard has passed up NFL opportunities (Packers last year) probably because he knew this was gonna happen at some point. If he doesn’t get the full time job he will go to the NFL.

I think Chryst might end up at Ga Tech, would be the best hire they could make. Not an option coach but run heavy and can develop 3 stars with the best of them which is exactly Ga Tech needs

What?

Chryst doesn’t like to recruit, his qb development has always been poor and the OL he is getting at Wisconsin would not remotely be the same at GT. At Wisconsin those OL grow up dreaming to play for the Badgers and then the Packers. In Georgia those OL grow up wanting to play at UGA or Bama or Clemson or Auburn etc.

If GT really wants to be good at football they need to loosen up admissions for FB players and hiring someone who can recruit (Deion).

If they want to continue to operate like they have been they should go after Jamey Chadwell from Coastal Carolina. His spread option offense would be successful at a place like GT,

Advertisement
Back