OT -- Panhandle School Keeping it Classy

If you're working remotely and are capable of doing a job effectively, who gives a **** if you're watching your kids or not? It's not that hard. I find it unethical that an employer can criticize a how virtual based employee handles caring for their child without attempting to provide a solution to better the circumstance or that employee. Furthermore, you say "they didn't have to offer a remote option" like they're gifting remote work to their employees, when they're simply just adapting to the current landscape of doing business during a difficult circumstance.

I find it comical that you say my premise is based on an impossibility when it's currently impossible for you to have an accurate market or workplace data set based the current situation you're speaking of.
Good lord, man, you're changing everything this discussion is based on...

First, they aren't traditional "virtual-based employees" like you keep making it seem over and over. As the article plainly states, the policy "applies to employees whose job duties require them to be on campus full-time during normal business hours". These are employees who pre-COVID had jobs that required them to be on campus M-F from 9-5. Surely your position is not that those same employees should have been able to bring their kids with them to campus everyday to babysit while they were at work back then, right? This is no different in that regard. Those employees were simply given the option to work from home instead of on campus because of COVID. These aren't graphic designers who routinely work from home on their own schedule. Just like they couldn't babysit their kids on campus pre-COVID while they work, they can't babysit their kids at home post-COVID while they work either.

Well, why not, you say! If they're working remotely and "are capable of doing their job effectively" why wouldn't they be allowed to! Well, of course, bud, if we entirely change the fact pattern (to one like the graphic designers above) then your point makes a ton of sense. Are there some people who do a type of work that allows them to (1) work from home, (2) supervise their kids, and (3) simultaneously do their job effectively? Yeah, of course there are. But those people don't have job roles which involve "being on campus full-time during normal business hours". So back to the actual discussion at hand....

Obviously, the powers that be in those departments do not believe those job roles can be done effectively while someone is simultaneously supervising young children. If they didn't feel that way, they wouldn't have implemented this policy. There are a TON of jobs that cannot be done effectively while you're the sole supervisor of young children regardless of how good one is at "multi tasking". Heck, I'd argue the vast vast VAST majority of jobs cannot be done effectively while you're in charge of a one year old you can't take your eyes off for more than 10 seconds (literally), a 3 year old still in diapers who needs attention constantly, and possibly another kid or two running around as well. The fact they needed them there M-F 9-5 implies they are likely needed on a consistent basis throughout that time during work days (like financial aid people, registrar's office, admissions and enrollment, etc). Hence, the policy.

To infer this policy is evidence that the employer doesn't support families and doesn't care about their staff is absolute nonsense. It's virtue signaling nonsense, to be more precise.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Family isn't important to the vast majority of American employers. It hasn't been for a long time.

I feel like that is changing immensely. I know yall hate on us bleeding heart youngins (realtivelt youngin lol) but we are driving change in workforces. USAA offered on-site gyms, on site child care, on site doctor visits, maternity and paternity leave, tuition reimbursement, the whole nine yards. Quality of life is becoming a driving factor over bottom line salary.

While I agree with vast majority i think it is changing for the good!

Family isn't important to the vast majority of American employers. It hasn't been for a long time.
It's true. And for American politicians to act like they support women's rights because they support abortion, while looking the other way for working women having children is just disgusting. Then you have politicians on the other side who claim to have family values, and they do nothing on the topic, either. Just goes to show you both parties are one and the same when it comes to being controlled by big money. None of them have a moral leg to stand on.

Advertisement
It's true. And for American politicians to act like they support women's rights because they support abortion, while looking the other way for working women having children is just disgusting. Then you have politicians on the other side who claim to have family values, and they do nothing on the topic, either. Just goes to show you both parties are one and the same when it comes to being controlled by big money. None of them have a moral leg to stand on.

The best example of how they don't care is maternity leave. We are near dead last in that department of all the industrialized nation's. Same with vacation time, which is family time even if it's a stay-cation. Another place we're far behind is sick leave. I haven't called in sick in five years or more and have nearly two months of it banked. Still, companies would rather you come to work sick than stay home in normal times. It's backwards ***, keep your sick *** at home so others don't get sick and productivity drops even further.

The best example of how they don't care is maternity leave. We are near dead last in that department of all the industrialized nation's. Same with vacation time, which is family time even if it's a stay-cation. Another place we're far behind is sick leave. I haven't called in sick in five years or more and have nearly two months of it banked. Still, companies would rather you come to work sick than stay home in normal times. It's backwards ***, keep your sick *** at home so others don't get sick and productivity drops even further.
No no no! We are the land of the FREE!!! Free to work longer hours. Free to have less maternity leave. Free to have less vacation time, and really, less money to spend if you have it.

The only free people in the US are the super wealthy that have gotten that way by overworking the populace. A populace that is convinced they are the most free people on the planet.

No no no! We are the land of the FREE!!! Free to work longer hours. Free to have less maternity leave. Free to have less vacation time, and really, less money to spend if you have it.

The only free people in the US are the super wealthy that have gotten that way by overworking the populace. A populace that is convinced they are the most free people on the planet.

I don't want to turn this into an I hate my country, that's not the case. Having said that, if it was as simple as just saying we're moving here (no other family, financially it made sense, etc) there's a fair amount of countries I would head to immediately.

Advertisement
I have a small business and fifteen full timers that work with me. I like making money. I sometimes get upset internally at lost revenue and productivity due to the current situation. It’s normal to feel this way. What is a “normal” feeling and what is “right” are two very different things. Whatever you can do to minimize human contact, keep your staff fully employed and be a thoughtful emotionally mature human being is literally the least at this point. This hasn’t been easy for anyone and any decision that makes things more difficult for those you employ is wrong. Plain and simple. Imagine being in the entertainment, travel, restaurant or any other industry that’s been decimated by this virus. They must find a way to make it work. It’s that simple. Figure it out.

Last edited:
Bro; trust me.....I applaud & salute you. This option is on the table for me, as well, despite the lucrative salary. I’ve already positioned myself not to have to deal w/ the bull chit, as 3 yrs ago, it was clear the direction of the company was in total contradiction of its 120 yr existence.

Sounds like you need some Rum Medicine and a few sick days

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back