OT: Nice Article on a Kid the Big 3 Overlooked

• Thread starter Thread starter deleted1998
  • Start date Start date
D

deleted1998

Northwestern football: Anthony Walker'''s path from bust to All-America | SI.com

"When Walker picked Northwestern the summer before his senior season, it was over Minnesota, Purdue, Florida International, Bowling Green and Buffalo. A lifelong Miami Hurricanes fan, he’d been overlooked by Florida’s major programs until the last minute. But not long after Walker committed to the Wildcats, Mario Cristobal approached Anthony Sr. He’d just left FIU for Miami, where he was set to be the associate head coach. Cristobal had previously recruited Walker, and he wanted him to visit the Hurricanes. When Anthony Sr. told his son the news, he advised against doing so. Walker agreed. He’d given his word to Northwestern.

A year later, Northwestern did the same. Coaches gave Walker their word, hoping for a Big Ten linebacker, without a clue they’d end up with so much more."

Were any of you "recruiting experts" on this kid?

Advertisement
I mean, the big three also overlooked the best (arguably) pass rusher in the league in Khalil Mack who is from Fort Pierce and had to go to the university of buffalo

Another feel good story about a lifelong UM fan who **** in UM's mouth because we weren't the first to offer? Fck off.

there will always be misses in states with a lot of division I prospects, did they do any articles on how luke kuechly didnt end up at ohio st or james harrison?

Advertisement
Let it rest; Al would have kept fattening him up, Swasey would have had him playing pattycake and No D would have had him third and fourth guessing...

Lots and lots of great players come from Florida.

Always good to hear about some who were lesser recruited but ended up doing very well...

Always good to hear about some who were lesser recruited but ended up doing very well...

I saw a tweet out there that that 43 out of the 77 Pro Bowlers this year were 3*,2* and non-rated players coming out of highschool..

Plenty of players out there

Advertisement
My understanding is his H.S. football coach pled with Fat Al Golden to extend him an offer but the brain trust didn't think he had the speed to play DB.

I am sure it never occurred to Doritos & "Sit at the Kid's Table" Williams to make him a LB.

I saw a tweet out there that that 43 out of the 77 Pro Bowlers this year were 3*,2* and non-rated players coming out of highschool..

Really is a testament to how accurate the star rating has become, and how strong of an indicator of future success it is. Despite making up only about the top 10% of all recruits, 4 and 5 stars go on to comprise nearly 45% of the pro bowlers.

You are always going to have stories like this. Many kids don't physically mature until college or have terrible HS coaching, so they go under the radar and end up at small schools. Other kids may play for BAD HS teams and not get recognized. And then there's the ones who don't make a name for themselves bc they get stuck behind someone else in HS (either a long time starter, coaches son, friend of a coaches son, etc).

Advertisement

Really is a testament to how accurate the star rating has become, and how strong of an indicator of future success it is. Despite making up only about the top 10% of all recruits, 4 and 5 stars go on to comprise nearly 45% of the pro bowlers.

Yep, this is what is always missed. This kind of analysis is a huge survivor-ship bias because it only considers those that make it and not the 3 stars working at home depot. There only 300 4-5 Stars each year, versus 1,500 2-3 Stars. If 45% of the probowlers come from the 300 pool versus 55% from the 1.5k pool, that means a 4-5 star prospect is nearly 5 times more likely to be pro-bowler.

knew about him didnt think he was a UM Caliber player but a steal for Northwestern. He did wella t Camps to. He always was a good size kid so i dont think he was looked at reallya s a db prospect.

Northwestern football: Anthony Walker'''s path from bust to All-America | SI.com

"When Walker picked Northwestern the summer before his senior season, it was over Minnesota, Purdue, Florida International, Bowling Green and Buffalo. A lifelong Miami Hurricanes fan, he’d been overlooked by Florida’s major programs until the last minute. But not long after Walker committed to the Wildcats, Mario Cristobal approached Anthony Sr. He’d just left FIU for Miami, where he was set to be the associate head coach. Cristobal had previously recruited Walker, and he wanted him to visit the Hurricanes. When Anthony Sr. told his son the news, he advised against doing so. Walker agreed. He’d given his word to Northwestern.

A year later, Northwestern did the same. Coaches gave Walker their word, hoping for a Big Ten linebacker, without a clue they’d end up with so much more."

Were any of you "recruiting experts" on this kid?

Yeah, what's everybody's excuse? And don't give me any of that "hey man, the dudes who get paid to do this missed him and I'm just a fan on a fan forum" crap. How can Miami ever be great again if you guys continue to miss this type of talent? ********.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back