OT - NFL head coaching roles and NCAA HC’s

futurecane

Redshirt Freshman
One thing I’ve been noticing, and wanted to discuss is that I don’t think NFL HC positions are as enticing for NCAA HCs as they used to be (I.e., we lost Butch to the NFL, etc).

Salaries are still roughly double what they are in the NCAA, yes, but turnover is insanely high, sometimes as high as 25%. For a good (not great) coach who can establish a decent record in the NCAA, the longevity and stability surely starts to outweigh what the NFL is offering.

Harbaugh would have been canned a long time ago in the NFL, Cristobal, etc.

Advertisement
Well first the avg salary is $4.8m for the nfl with a high of $8m for 32 coaches. Without doing the math, I am fairly certain the top 32 college coaches probably avg close to the same number and I feel Saban and some others are at or close to $8m, so salary is a push...

I agree that HC get turned over a bunch in the NFL and the differences between the best and worst team is pretty slim...

A guy like Saban will never go back to the NFL cause he has every advantage at Bama, why operate on an even playing field?

One thing I’ve been noticing, and wanted to discuss is that I don’t think NFL HC positions are as enticing for NCAA HCs as they used to be (I.e., we lost Butch to the NFL, etc).

Salaries are still roughly double what they are in the NCAA, yes, but turnover is insanely high, sometimes as high as 25%. For a good (not great) coach who can establish a decent record in the NCAA, the longevity and stability surely starts to outweigh what the NFL is offering.

Harbaugh would have been canned a long time ago in the NFL, Cristobal, etc.
The salary being double is not accurate. It uses the wrong pools for comparison. The NFL is only interested in the very few best college coaches. The very few best college coaches make close money to NFL coaches. Saban makes nearly what Belichick makes. It falls off a bit from there but keep in mind also, college coaches may make money through camps, auto dealerships and other places that NFL coaches probably don't make so comparisons can be hard.

College coaching is a totally different gig, imo. It's non-stop 12 months, recruiting sucks, you're a CEO of an organization.

NFL coach is intense but you have an organization around you. You're a line manager in some ways, not a CEO. There's an owner/managing partner, President, head of player personnel.... Coaches can coach. Some like that, some don't. The control freak HCs are probably better suited for college.

Advertisement
Agree with others, both environments are different animals.

NFL coaches are hired to be fired. All have the same goal and expectations, win and win a Super Bowl. Coaches have been fired for making the playoffs a few years but not winning it all. Coaches in most organizations have a window of a four, maybe six seasons to win, or else. In many cases coaches are fired after two seasons.

In college a number of programs, like Miami (at one time, anyway), profess goals of national titles but few can realistically hold that expectation. Even programs that haven’t won conference titles have retained HCs they knew were good to great but for any number of reasons would never achieve elite status, like TCU and Gary Patterson.

Advertisement
Back