OT:NBA regular season suspended

Advertisement
You're taking what I'm saying differently then how I'm saying it. I'm good with reasonable people. I'm not good with fools. No, I'm not saying you're one of the fools. The fools are going to get us all into trouble. Good luck.
And I agree with you there 100%, my man. I think maybe where we differ is that you seem to feel that a large amount of those who are skeptical about the level of precautionary actions that have been taken are in the Baghdad Bob camp - meaning, people who are advocating for doing nothing and claiming it's all BS. The Baghdad Bob position is plain ignorance. Period. I agree with you that those people (that mentality being spread) is very dangerous right now. I just don't happen to think most people who are skeptical about the level of response DO fall into that camp. I surely don't. I think they are a tiny tiny fraction of that camp; hence, my comment earlier of them being an Alex Jones-esque fringe. For example, I don't believe Empirical Cane is advocating for people to ignore this all, be fools, and take no precautionary measures at all. That's now how his posts came across to me at all. Yet, numerous people on this thread are painting him as exactly that.

Advertisement
Agree. Spanish Flu is a red herring. You'll notice he elected to reference the one from a century+ ago rather than the half dozen or so viruses in modern times, which are from the same genealogy as coronavirus, that were successfully managed and for the most part completely put behind us. The world did not come to a screeching halt during any of those episodes. And by the way, most of those I mentioned before (SARS, MERS, H2N2) had both a higher infection rate and overall mortality rate.
Huh? Spanish Flu is an example of not doing enough to control/prevent a pandemic. How is that a red herring?

The train has left the station. Social distancing, even extreme, will be more the norm for at least the next few weeks. We will know so much more about the US spread then which hopefully will allow for a more targeted approach.

Absolutely true. Spanish Flu circulated for about 6 months, and (unless we later learn otherwise), we seem to have had a quicker response to Coronavirus.

Again, it is not so much a disagreement with the factual comparisons of stats/history/impact. It is more about the ongoing battle of human nature. The concept of "overreaction" happens in nearly every context of life, including preparation for a hurricane or a virus.

But this "look at me" phenomenon of some people acting like they are "smarter" and "above it all" by criticizing the media and the overreaction just minimizes the problem.

That's all. Like you, I hope for a more targeted (and less hyped) approach. But that is hard to do on the front end of a problem.

I've stated my position. I tend to prefer some mild "overreaction" (on a macro level, not a personal level) to "inaction".

We may never get the balance quite right. We may never know what might have happened if the person who delivered the "Osama Bin Laden determined to strike targets within the United States" memo to George W. Bush had used some extra "hysteria" while presenting those conclusions to Bush.

But I do know that flus and viruses can be passed from one person to another. Even if it takes us a year to get an innoculation developed, we can still stop the spread by taking other precautions.

So let's NOT compare the mortality rates of "Coronavirus" and "Bird Flu" if that comparison will lull people into NOT taking precautions.

Be best.

Um...wrong on what??

What did i stop?

Last due out was for you friend. Ball in your court.

Please do tell.

Advertisement
And I agree with you there 100%, my man. I think maybe where we differ is that you seem to feel that a large amount of those who are skeptical about the level of precautionary actions that have been taken are in the Baghdad Bob camp - meaning, people who are advocating for doing nothing and claiming it's all BS. The Baghdad Bob position is plain ignorance. Period. I agree with you that those people (that mentality being spread) is very dangerous right now. I just don't happen to think most people who are skeptical about the level of response DO fall into that camp. I surely don't. I think they are a tiny tiny fraction of that camp; hence, my comment earlier of them being an Alex Jones-esque fringe. For example, I don't believe Empirical Cane is advocating for people to ignore this all, be fools, and take no precautionary measures at all. That's now how his posts came across to me at all. Yet, numerous people on this thread are painting him as exactly that.

👆 reasonable is so refreshing.

If the choice is "inaction, and the problem is worse" and "overreaction, and the problem is minimized, though people go a little crazy in the meantime", it seems rational to prefer overreaction.
Again, that sounds great, but that's not what we're facing right now. You completely disregard the factor of economical devastation caused by the (over)reaction in your attempt to package the downside as "we go a few weeks without sports and go a bit stir crazy". IMO, the economical impact to our country will be exponentially more severe than the impact of the virus itself. This is the very basis for why I am against widespread hysteria.

Last edited:
And you are positive he wasn't paid big money to say that? Because some other experts said the opposite.
How do you know the other experts weren't paid big money to say otherwise? Are you positive they weren't?

If this is the rabbit hole we're going to go down, then society is more royally f*cked than anyone realizes.

Jonas Salk in the age of twitter and FB wouldn't last a day.

"Everybody knows Salk is in bed with big pharma. Polio isn't even that deadly."

Again, that sounds great, but that's not what we're facing right now. You completely disregard the factor of economical devastation caused by the (over)reaction in your attempt to package the downside as "we go a few weeks without sports and go a bit stir crazy". IMO, the economical impact to our country will be exponentially more sever than the impact of the virus itself. This is the very basis for why I am against widespread hysteria.

I understand where you’re coming from, but the significant economic impact will be recoverable. It may take a year or longer, sadly. But this is a better safe than sorry type situation. I’m totally against the overreaction. But I also think we need to get a better handle of where we are with this, which is happening now.

Advertisement
Huh? Spanish Flu is an example of not doing enough to control/prevent a pandemic. How is that a red herring?
Because comparing how the Spanish Flu impacted mankind before even the industrial revolution had begun as a means of trying to show how coronavirus may impact humankind in 2020 is literally the definition of a red herring. What would be a lot more accurate is to see how the modern flu pandemics affected mankind; SARS, MERS, H2N2, etc.

Last edited:
Because comparing how the Spanish Flu impacted mankind before even the industrial revolution has begun as a means of trying to show how coronavirus may impact humankind in 2020 is literally the definition of a red herring. What would be a lot more accurate is to see how the modern flu pandemics affected mankind; SARS, MERS, H2N2, etc.

Again you with the rational thought.

Stop it now please.

Advertisement
Because comparing how the Spanish Flu impacted mankind before even the industrial revolution has begun as a means of trying to show how coronavirus may impact humankind in 2020 is literally the definition of a red herring. What would be a lot more accurate is to see how the modern flu pandemics affected mankind; SARS, MERS, H2N2, etc.
That is not literally a red herring.. how ****** dumb is this board. SARS is a good example of how we contained a virus. Spanish Flu is an example of how we did not. It is not intentionally misleading. Jesus learn the words you’re using

How do you know the other experts weren't paid big money to say otherwise? Are you positive they weren't?

If this is the rabbit hole we're going to go down, then society is more royally f*cked than anyone realizes.

Jonas Salk in the age of twitter and FB wouldn't last a day.

"Everybody knows Salk is in bed with big pharma. Polio isn't even that deadly."

Society is more royally f[]cked than most people realize.

Far more.

And our young generation of leaders are even less capable than the previous--and facing even more interconnected and complex problems.

I was once told I was the biggest fool here, maybe of all time. I wonder if I got smarter, you got dumber, or people just don't know how to debate anymore without ad hominem.

BACK OFF JD08.

Take your L like a man.

There is a new dumb champ wearing the belt.

I'll throw hands if necessary. I've been training with Juan From The Blue Lot.

Advertisement
Back