OT: Mike Gundy's Div2 OC.....

MedleyCane

Senior
Interesting story how Okie State's Mike Gundy found his recent OC.
I find it interesting how he went out of his coaching tree, and down several
levels, to find this coach.

Oklahoma State Cowboys Mike Gundy offensive coordinator internet

Gundy went online and looked up offenses that excelled both with rushing and passing numbers.
He then narrowed the search to no-huddle, tempo-based offenses similar to Oklahoma State's. Next, he found
coordinators who also coached quarterbacks. The last step, the trickiest, was identifying lesser-known coaches
who might stick around even after successful seasons.

Last edited:
Advertisement
doesnt matter Richt thinks his offense is the goods and he is bringing along lil richt to take that over as well.

Our OC in name doesnt even have a clip board on the sideline or anything.

Yeah, love Coach Richt but I have an intense hatred towards nepotism.
It is not good for the program and ultimately not good for the folks involved.
Having said this, wasn't really thinking of Richt/UM when I read and shared this.
Just thought it was interesting.

This season's unraveling got me thinking back to this article.

Look at what a coach who is willing to put ego aside, and do the legwork does to find a play caller. Hiring coaches shouldn't be about picking out a barrel of recycled losers who may have had past success (cough, Searels). Find someone with an innovative enough approach to play to the strengths of your assets, the greatest for us being a recruiting base with insane athletes who become a nightmare with the ball in their hands with space. The offensive steamroll approach is only useful when you have a steamroll in the garage. We don't, and because of the difficulty in competing with the likes of those who also intend to use steamrolls (Sec and Clemson), but have the money to buy the parts (recruits), we need to rethink our philosophy.

Perhaps we need to speak to Coach Richt in a language he can understand: pride comes before a fall.

Who cares? What has Mike Gundy achieved except infamy for his "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant around 10 years ago?

Advertisement
OSU's offense sucks and I've heard a few radio hosts here in Oklahoma call for the OC to be fired.

Who cares? What has Mike Gundy achieved except infamy for his "I'm a man! I'm 40!" rant around 10 years ago?

Won the Big XII...
Won Coach of the Year...
68% win percentage at Oklahoma State

He's the best coach that school has ever had and think of the ground that covers...Jimmy Johnson and Les Miles coached there. Oklahoma State, form comparisons sake, is like UVA or Kentucky. They were about as middling to below average and boring a team in college football before Gundy took over.

Gundy has them regularly in or around the Top 15 by seasons end with a Bowl win.

Won the Big XII...
Won Coach of the Year...

He's the best coach that school has ever had and think of the ground that covers...Jimmy Johnson and Les Miles coached there. Oklahoma State, form comparisons sake, is like UVA or Kentucky. They were about as middling to below average and boring a team in college football before Gundy took over.

Gundy has them regularly in or around the Top 15 by seasons end with a Bowl win.
Sounds A LOT like our current HC. I'm just saying...

Won the Big XII...
Won Coach of the Year...

He would be another Richt at Miami.

2 SEC titles
74% win percentage at Georgia.
SEC coach of the year.

Advertisement
He would be another Richt at Miami.

2 SEC titles
74% win percentage at Georgia.
SEC coach of the year.

Maybe.
But Georgia is not = to Oklahoma State. While Richt's numbers at Georgia are ultimately a disappointment, Gundy's at Oklahoma State are universally accepted as a success.

Won the Big XII...
Won Coach of the Year...

Oh, and he's not better than Jimmy or Les. Those guys have rings. Nuff said.

doesnt matter Richt thinks his offense is the goods and he is bringing along lil richt to take that over as well.

Our OC in name doesnt even have a clip board on the sideline or anything.

this post has aged better than Halle Berry

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m not sure how people in this thread are failing to make the distinction between Oklahoma State and Georgia as programs.

Richt was failing with top 10 classes and world class, blue chip 5 stars on his roster at UGA. Gundy is picking scraps after Texas, OU, and a&m are done with them.

Gundy is at a second-rate school and he’s consistently fielding competitive teams. He’s maxed out what that program can do. I’d like to see Pickens stop annually dropping him off oil tankers full of millions of dollars, because I think he could do well at a larger, higher profile school.

I’m not sure how people in this thread are failing to make the distinction between Oklahoma State and Georgia as programs.

Richt was failing with top 10 classes and world class, blue chip 5 stars on his roster at UGA. Gundy is picking scraps after Texas, OU, and a&m are done with them.

Gundy is at a second-rate school and he’s consistently fielding competitive teams. He’s maxed out what that program can do. I’d like to see Pickens stop annually dropping him off oil tankers full of millions of dollars, because I think he could do well at a larger, higher profile school.
I bet none of them know that Jimmy Johnson beat Oklahoma all the years he was in Oklahoma State but loss to Oklahoma all the years he was in Miami.

Advertisement
Back