OT: Let the QBs be their own coordinators

EL U

Recruit
Baseball used to have player managers back in the day. That’s why managers still wear the player uniform. What if an NFL team (Probably wouldn’t work in College) just gave it’s QB free rein at the line of scrimmage. Still would have a head coach, but give all cordinator duties to the QB. He calls plays (I mean he calls ALL plays, not just audibles) runs substitutions, makes adjustments, etc. I watch the Tennessee Titans and Marcus Mariota is the smartest guy out there. More TD passes than incompletions and they lose by 17 (Lamar Miler was great though, silver lining). Sub-Richt level playcalling did the Titans in tonight. Some coaches don’t know how to use QBs the right way. We talk about opening up the playbook all the time in football, but what if we told the QB that he had the unconditional keys to the offense. Again more of an NFL idea as a role like this requires a bit more maturity and experience.

Advertisement
Lmaoo..no player in modern football..NOT 1 has or could do that..Peyton manning might’ve been the closest to ever do it, but even then he didn’t control subs or, what formations/personnel was called in..i mean seriously I was raised that all opinions should at least be respected..but where tf do some of y’all come up with these ideas ??

Lol could you imagine if weldons high aśś got to call his own plays

the great Cane Jim Kelly called his own plays at Buffalo and Manning did call his own plays most of the time with the Colts and with Denver using a no huddle tempo offense

Advertisement
Didn't the qbs call they're on plays back in the 60s and early 70s.but Kelly and manning were students of the game.watched film and studied opposing defenses knew by studying them where to attack them at the weak spot.Plus before the snap they knew where they were going to with the ball.

So Richt has $1 million to play with to go get an OC, and he won’t do that, but he’s going to let a Freshmans QB (or any year for that matter) call his own plays? Points for thinking outside the box, but it ain’t happening.

Advertisement
Peyton's football IQ is probably 200. Add Perry+Weldon together and you're still not even close to that. Hopefully Williams has the goods upstairs, but with Rickets at the helm, he would most likely limit even a top gun OC. I hope he proves me wrong and soon. Let's recruit!

What Payton usually did, is his OC gave him a play call and Manning had to the ability to change it to 2 or 3 other plays based on the defense.

Doing that in CFB is asinine and crazy so no. No CFB QB has the mental aptitude to think long term.

What Payton usually did, is his OC gave him a play call and Manning had to the ability to change it to 2 or 3 other plays based on the defense.

Doing that in CFB is asinine and crazy so no. No CFB QB has the mental aptitude to think long term.
Thank you! Peyton was giving a personal grouping, base play, either run or pass that he could change to either a run or pass...the OP talking about a QB control subs, plays and formations

Advertisement
Again, I was not suggesting Richt make any of our QBs a de facto coordinator. Mainly was just a postgame vent after the Titans laid an egg. But I do think NFL Qbs, at the line with the best view of the offense, could make great coordinators.

Advertisement
This is a wonderful idea!

N’Kosi definitely has the mental aptitude to handle such a role.
If Kosi makes football decisions like he does Snapchat decisions, he'll end his career at South Central Louisiana State Mud Dogs.

For you to imply such an idea means that you I have no clue how much work goes into being a coordinator.

Advertisement
Back