OT: Leonard Hankerson gets coaching gig

Astcloud11

Senior
Premium
Former WR Leonard Hankerson will be taking on his first coaching job @ UMASS.

[INSTAGRAM]BVqLdjhllDO[/INSTAGRAM]

I've decided to take my talents to Massachusetts LOL, #CoachHank excited about my opportunity as a coach. I was blessed enough to play football since I was 6/7 years old, now I will pour my knowledge out to these youngin!

If you're wondering on what connection led him to this...UMASS's current HC is Mark Whipple, who was the OC/AHC for Miami during Leonard's senior year. Unsure what he will be coaching (might be a support staffer or GA?) but it is important to note that it is highly unlikely he'll end up coaching WR's...since the current WR/Passing Game Coordinator coach is Mark's son.

Advertisement
Former WR Leonard Hankerson will be taking on his first coaching job @ UMASS.

[INSTAGRAM]BVqLdjhllDO[/INSTAGRAM]

I've decided to take my talents to Massachusetts LOL, #CoachHank excited about my opportunity as a coach. I was blessed enough to play football since I was 6/7 years old, now I will pour my knowledge out to these youngin!

If you're wondering on what connection led him to this...UMASS's current HC is Mark Whipple, who was the OC/AHC for Miami during Leonard's senior year. Unsure what he will be coaching (might be a support staffer or GA?) but it is important to note that it is highly unlikely he'll end up coaching WR's...since the current WR/Passing Game Coordinator coach is Mark's son.

That is actually even better news if he is coaching another position.
I think that is a good experience for young coaches, having to learn and coach other positions.
Good for him!

BTW, the OC is Spencer Whipple and I see that John Palermo's son is on UMASS staff as well.

Last edited:
really like Hank, put up some big numbers. Love the way he rebuilt his career at UM after a really bad soph year with the help of Mark Duper. It's guys like this who have had success but also hardships that usually make the best coaches. Best of luck to Hank....

Advertisement
Like Allen Hurns, Hank had a really nice "well look what we got here" senior year. Really nice guy around campus, too. Injuries got to him in the NFL, but was happy to see him get drafted. Good on ya, Hank.

Good to see. Congrats to Hank. Whip may have been a hothead, but he never turned around and sold his Miami ties to the highest bidder like so many of our other past coaches.

I really liked Hank. He appeared to be a very humble kid and overall good person. I wish he could have had 3 years at UM like he did his senior year and also wish he was not plagued by injuries in the NFL, but nevertheless, it's great to see him furthering his career in the game that he loves.

Advertisement
UMASS plays one of the most aggressive non=conference schedules, though they may be independent now. Last year they played three SEC schools. Their larger home games are in Foxborough

UMASS plays one of the most aggressive non=conference schedules, though they may be independent now. Last year they played three SEC schools. Their larger home games are in Foxborough

Give them an A for effort, but they are trash and will most likely continue to be trash. They are close to BC, Syracuse, UConn and Runtgers in an area with limited talent. Most top NE talent goes to Penn State or Michigan, so I don't see them becoming a power anytime soon.

Give them an A for effort, but they are trash and will most likely continue to be trash. They are close to BC, Syracuse, UConn and Runtgers in an area with limited talent. Most top NE talent goes to Penn State or Michigan, so I don't see them becoming a power anytime soon.

They are independent now. Last year was their first year being an independent after dropping their associate member status with the MAC for football.

Advertisement

Yep.
They should have stayed in DIv1AA, in the Colonial League which is actually a very strong league for that level of football.
This is what Idaho decided to do recently, and so should 20-30 other schools in Div1A.

the irony is that Whip was more hurricane than randy at that point, and now we see randy went full ******

Advertisement
What happened to him?! It seemed like a year or 2 ago he was one of the redskins top WRs! I believe it was last year I saw he had been selling cars! I didn't even realize how far he was removed from the league at this point!

What happened to him?! It seemed like a year or 2 ago he was one of the redskins top WRs! I believe it was last year I saw he had been selling cars! I didn't even realize how far he was removed from the league at this point!

My thoughts exactly. Not this past season but I think the season before he seemed well on his way to a pro-bowl type season and then boom, he's hurt. Never thought or knew it was career ending.

Advertisement
Back